Extreme athlete Dean Potter dies in US jumping accident

webfact

Extreme athlete Dean Potter dies in US jumping accident
DAISY NGUYEN, Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Extreme athlete Dean Potter, renowned for his bold and sometimes rogue climbs and BASE jumps, was among two people who were killed while attempting a wingsuit flight in Yosemite National Park, a park spokesman said Sunday.

Someone called for help late Saturday after losing contact with Potter, 43, and his climbing partner, Graham Hunt, 29. They had jumped from a 7,500-foot (2,300-meter) promontory called Taft Point, park ranger Scott Gediman said.

He said a search-and-rescue team looked for the men overnight but couldn't find them. On Sunday morning, a helicopter crew spotted their bodies in the Yosemite Valley.

No parachutes had been deployed.

BASE jumping, in which someone parachutes from a fixed structure or cliff, is illegal in Yosemite.

Potter and Hunt, who lived near Yosemite, were prominent figures in the park's climbing community, Gediman said.

"This is a horrible incident, and our deepest sympathies go out to their friends and family," Gediman said. "This is a huge loss for all of us."

Potter is famous for completing solo ascents, tightrope walks across some of the world's most famous rock formations, and BASE jumps without a rope, tether or other safety gear. He drew criticism in May 2006 after he made a "free solo" climb of Utah's iconic Delicate Arch, prompting outdoor clothing company Patagonia to drop its sponsorship of him.

Recently, he appeared in a film that chronicled his adventures BASE jumping with his dog.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-05-18

"Recently, he appeared in a film that chronicled his adventures BASE jumping with his dog."

​What an a....hole, let him be a Darwin-Award contender, on his own - no need to endanger an animal, who can't refuse his stupidity.

I find it weird that people want to bash this guy.

Jumping with the dog was definitely an A-hole stunt, but I don't get the attitude of, "Why do you try so hard to do something that I would never do?? You must be an idiot!"

The guy has a tremendous amount of courage, and it takes a tremendous amount effort & intelligence to plan, train, and execute the things he has done. I don't expect people to praise him, but pointing at him and calling him a fool is the reaction I expect from people who live their lives in an incredibly closed box and feel joy at the downfall of others.

To those who malign the deceased because of his extraordinary zest for life on the very edge...I suggest that you heed the old advice...'don't knock it until you've tried it'. I made over 5,000 free falls in my youth and yes, they were considered as stunts and some may have accused me of playing out a death wish. But it was none of that...just full enjoyment of everything life offers and the great exhilaration we can feel when taking part in putatively dangerous activities. Anyone who has ever made a sport jump knows only too well that the most dangerous part of parachuting is the drive to the airport. Dean Potter took greater risks than the average skydiver,yes, but was well aware of those risks, hedged them as best as he could, and yet tragically perished while doing so. But he may have lived a fuller life in his 43 years than most people do if they make it into their 80s and beyond afraid of their own skin. Please don't judge the man but grant him eternal peace now that he is among the angels. Dean, RIP my adventurous friend. You will be missed.

How does base jumping make ones life fuller, even if afraid of ones own skin. You posses the same narrow minded view of those you are being critical of. Not only did he break the law, but by his actions he put, potentially, the lives of others at risk via rescue attempts.

No he did not live a fuller life than me, his was shorter though. All the same my condolences to his famil.

How does base jumping make ones life fuller, even if afraid of ones own skin. You posses the same narrow minded view of those you are being critical of. Not only did he break the law, but by his actions he put, potentially, the lives of others at risk via rescue attempts.

No he did not live a fuller life than me, his was shorter though. All the same my condolences to his famil.

If you must ask that question, then I believe you'd never understand an answer.. you ask not for understanding, but for argument sake

He broke a "law" that is place because it releases these entities from litigation... you seem so stuck on a law as being a life controlling rule... you have NEVER broken a law??? Rhetorical question, no answer required.

If he lived a fuller life than you is subjective... I suspect he did live a fuller life than you in his opinion.

How do you think about Yeager breaking the speed of sound? Reckless???

How do you think about anyone of the many people that have strapped into a rocket and gone to space? Those that have crashed put many lives at risk during rescue attempts.

How about the climbers summiting any mountain???

How about the people that climb into a plane and the plane crashes??? They put lives at risk for a rescue effort.

How about anyone that scuba dives?..drives a race car or motorcycle?...builds a high-rise building?...

Oh, that's right...they didn't break a law... gotcha.

Stay safe on the couch.... it's legal...55555

I respect your views. Well, at least we agree on expressing sympathies to his NOK. We can't all live our mortal lives perched over a keyboard or criticizing others who are willing to dare from our armchairs.

Perhaps reread what was written. A few of you have leapt to some far fetched assumptions. I wrote i do not believe he has lived a fuller life than I.

However a few people seem to know me and know what this gentleman was thinking.

Perhaps putting ones life at risk helping others unable to help themselves is not living a full life. I stand corrected.

He broke a "law" that is place because it releases these entities from litigation...

And to prevent spending our tax dollars on helicopter rescues and long term medical care, and risking the lives of rescue personnel, for those who "live life to its fullest"- then crash in the process.

You want to live life to its fullest? So do I. But do it on your dime, not ours. If you're going to base jump off a cliff, pay for your own rescue personnel to stand by to pick up the pieces. Or better yet, get a big name sponsor to fund the rescue squad for you.

BTW, to whom do we send the bill for the recovery efforts, and the autopsy for this guy? Having been in a rescue squad before, I suspect it ran into the tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Edited by impulse

I will save my sympathy for the 8 US Marines that died in the helicopter crash while helping the the survivors of the Nepal earthquake, not some adrenaline junkie

I have to agree with this and post #19.

I have nothing against hedonistic extreme 'sports' activities but if high risk stunts go wrong (especially illegal ones) then sympathy has to be kept in perspective.

I also agree that such activities should never be a financial cost to the public purse.

RIP nonetheless.

Think I agree with you there- he may have another 40 or 50 years around on the planet.

Maybe using his celebrity and setting up a foundation to help kids through outdoor sports would have meant he had a really full life.

RIP

To those who malign the deceased because of his extraordinary zest for life on the very edge...I suggest that you heed the old advice...'don't knock it until you've tried it'. I made over 5,000 free falls in my youth and yes, they were considered as stunts and some may have accused me of playing out a death wish. But it was none of that...just full enjoyment of everything life offers and the great exhilaration we can feel when taking part in putatively dangerous activities. Anyone who has ever made a sport jump knows only too well that the most dangerous part of parachuting is the drive to the airport. Dean Potter took greater risks than the average skydiver,yes, but was well aware of those risks, hedged them as best as he could, and yet tragically perished while doing so. But he may have lived a fuller life in his 43 years than most people do if they make it into their 80s and beyond afraid of their own skin. Please don't judge the man but grant him eternal peace now that he is among the angels. Dean, RIP my adventurous friend. You will be missed.

From the above: ... just full enjoyment of everything life offers ... And now you play golf.

He broke a "law" that is place because it releases these entities from litigation...

And to prevent spending our tax dollars on helicopter rescues and long term medical care, and risking the lives of rescue personnel, for those who "live life to its fullest"- then crash in the process.

You want to live life to its fullest? So do I. But do it on your dime, not ours. If you're going to base jump off a cliff, pay for your own rescue personnel to stand by to pick up the pieces. Or better yet, get a big name sponsor to fund the rescue squad for you.

BTW, to whom do we send the bill for the recovery efforts, and the autopsy for this guy? Having been in a rescue squad before, I suspect it ran into the tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.

IF you only knew what your tax dollars are really spent on... 55555

Beam me up Scotty.

I'm pretty sure more tax dollars are spent on taking people to hospitals from bars than will ever be spent on rescuing extreme sports participants, could be wrong though !

I'm pretty sure more tax dollars are spent on taking people to hospitals from bars than will ever be spent on rescuing extreme sports participants, could be wrong though !

Probably true, but how many people hang out in bars and how many base jump?

Fly free Dean and Graham. Edited by Blackfox

Exactly... So how much tax payers money is "wasted" on extreme sport athletes, not a whole lot...

I will save my sympathy for the 8 US Marines that died in the helicopter crash while helping the the survivors of the Nepal earthquake, not some adrenaline junkie

Atrocious first three posts in this thread.

Many in the sport are serving within the military, particularly at elite levels. Many others come from all walks of life.

If you asked several that do serve in their respective country's DF, you'd find many that align themselves with the extreme, and have sympathy for BASE fatalities and those that have lost their lives in humanitarian services alike.

Edited by Blackfox

Let me tell you my opinion.

These guys have balls... the guys that fly these wing suits have huge amounts of courage... are they crazy?? maybe. Are they brave? For sure...

I watch those videos of them flying mach 1 past mountains and through trees and I give them the kudos they deserve.

Wesley Powell (with one arm btw) took a crew down the Colorado River... this is what people do... they explore, they experience danger, they push the limits...Anyone that went into the wilds and discovered America or the Amazon or space flight or underwater or.... (seriously, why am I trying to justify any of this????....55555)

For some of you couch/bar stool surfers to say they risk other peoples lives is just plain stupid.... rescue workers are trained and generally speaking do not take risks...if they do, they do it for the same reason the risk takers take the risks they do... they enjoy it.
This is something that a bar stool surfer will ever understand...so, moot in trying to explain.

Reminds me of modern day kids... sit on the couch and play video games... we went out and took risks and I still do... hell, I live in thailand, drive a motorcycle here...AND I drink Chang beer (that alone is taking a huge risks)

Ok, some of you, go back, lay down on the couch and keep safe and keep the rescue workers safe and save the tax dollars, I'm going to go enjoy life.

Edited by Nowisee