Akara says its gold mine operations in Phichit fully comply with laws and world standards

webfact

Akara says its gold mine operations in Phichit fully comply with laws and world standards
THE NATION

PHICHIT: -- AKARA Resources Plc recently defended its gold mine in Phichit, stressing its operation was of international standard and in full compliance with laws and regulations under guidelines from the Primary Industries and Mines Department.

The statement followed a call by representatives of communities in seven central provinces on May 14 for the Department of Special Investigation to probe the Akara gold mine, which they claim polluted their water sources and made hundreds of people sick in Phichit, Phitsanulok and Phetchabun.

In the statement on Saturday, Akara CEO Pakorn Sukhum said the firm had arranged comprehensive health check-ups to be provided from March 26-27 for 337 people living within five kilometres of its Chatree mine, including 254 residents who had elevated levels of heavy metals in their blood.

The proceedings at the mine office in Phichit's Tub Khlo district were observed by local officials and police, the statement said.

The diagnoses of all 337 residents showed "the level of elevated heavy metal readings had been reduced by the statistically significant margin of 95 per cent".

The company also affirmed it would submit these results to the Mines Department, engage in dialogue with all parties and provide check-ups for locals in the mine's vicinity every three months to keep track of their health.

This was more frequent than the annual medical check-ups required by its environmental health impact assessment, it said.

The company's officials in the field have been assigned to ensure that local residents with higher heavy metal levels receive medical treatment in Bangkok. From April 22- May 1, the company sent 15 residents from around the mine to Ramathibodi Hospital to receive medical treatment and provide blood and urine samples for further heavy metal tests.

All 15 were found to be in good condition, the company said.

Akara has been actively working to address concerns raised about impacts on local communities and the environment and has strictly complied with guidelines under the terms of its Environmental Health Impact Assessment.

It had constructed a tailing pond with five layers of protection. Water sample analysis from various water quality assessment points were regularly taken and reported from around the project.

This information was provided to the Phichit industry office to prevent post-production chemical leaks. To control dust pollution, soil and sand are deposited in unused pits to minimise noise and dust fumes, it added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Akara-says-its-gold-mine-operations-in-Phichit-ful-30260326.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-18

Well that's all good then, the sick families of local communities are faking for sure.

Its just ridiculous to imagine a company in a developing country would ever fail to meet the rigors of international standard.

We can look to the Thai fishing industry as a shining example of meeting international standards.gigglem.gif

Edited by Manbing

I've worked in Gold mining for more years I care to recall , when I see people being treated for heavy metal problems I question Akara on world standards level , I don't ever remember anybody from any Goldmine in the western Australian goldfields coming down with heavy metal complaints , especially the families that live in the mining towns, heavy metal reminds me of lead poison, why would that be the case in a Gold Mine??? Enlighten me. coffee1.gif

Surely if people are suffering from heavy metal poisoning it would take a long time to reduce the levels in their blood. They have never named which metals are involved, but some of them can't be simply flushed out of the body. There is something fishy about this report, and I don't just mean mercury contamination.

I've worked in Gold mining for more years I care to recall , when I see people being treated for heavy metal problems I question Akara on world standards level , I don't ever remember anybody from any Goldmine in the western Australian goldfields coming down with heavy metal complaints , especially the families that live in the mining towns, heavy metal reminds me of lead poison, why would that be the case in a Gold Mine??? Enlighten me. coffee1.gif

"......I don't ever remember anybody from any Goldmine in the western Australian goldfields coming down with heavy metal complaints,......"

Bet they never even complained about AC/DC.rolleyes.gif

If the heavy metal contamination in the locals has been reduced then it means it was there before.

Question : Where did it come from in the first place. Wouldn't have been from your mine by any chance ?

What this company spokesman has said is :

"We have cleaned up our act a bit and are attempting to help the people that we have poisoned in the past. We are also making an attempt to stop the pollution of the waterways we polluted before"

"Furthermore, we are doing this now because there is a threat of losing our license to mine and being booted out if we don't".

heavy metal poisoning in gold mining would usually mean mercury, if the tailings were not being correctly kept away from the water sources then this would be a major problem and mercury poisoning does not disappear overnight. Wonder if they will allow independent testing on this or if it is in house only so they can quote the desired results without any realistic evidence to back it up.

Edited by seajae

Correct me if I am wrong but I think they should be having INDEPENDENT MEDICAL CHECKS ON THE PEOPLE the fact that its the Gold companies doctors testing them is type TIT

Get them checked independently and maybe its a complete different story