Free Antispyware With Real-time Protection

crockett

Thanks for the link. great program.

But still can't figure out how to stop the little pop-ups in the right hand corner of the screen though, without disabling the realtime shield.

It found a couple of problems (all but one minor) which SpyBot and AVG did not find!

Somewhat off-topic: what it found was a program (TRUE hi-speed navigator ("C:\Program Files\True\hi-Speed Navigator\hi-speed Navigator.exe"))!!! which was installed by True staff when we got the ADSL connection. According to 'Spyware Terminator' this program directed all traffic through a filter proxy server!!!!

opalhort

Thanks for the link. great program.

But still can't figure out how to stop the little pop-ups in the right hand corner of the screen though, without disabling the realtime shield.

It found a couple of problems (all but one minor) which SpyBot and AVG did not find!

Somewhat off-topic: what it found was a program (TRUE hi-speed navigator ("C:\Program Files\True\hi-Speed Navigator\hi-speed Navigator.exe"))!!! which was installed by True staff when we got the ADSL connection. According to 'Spyware Terminator' this program directed all traffic through a filter proxy server!!!!

opalhort

Opalhort,

I don't know either how to hide the pop-up, probably you can't anyway. :o

For the hi-speed navigator, uninstall that thing. You do not really need it. It caused me some problems on my computer at home as well (it's install wizard suddenly popped up when I opened other programs). Since I got rid of it, everything is fine. :D

crockett

Hi,

just recently I came across this one. It has real-time protection which

you normally not find in other free applications like Adaware. :D

http://www.spywareterminator.com/

hi'

look closer :o

adaware is a scanner in free version!

what is real timer stuff except a real time protection?

IE helper already protect IE for Ie users ...

this is for Spybot S & D...

and add spywareBlaster, and update it once a week :D

francois

What's wrong with Windows Defender (formerly Microsoft Antispyware)?

I don't engage in much activity that could expose me to spyware, but on some occasions it has done its job of catching attempts at installing malware.

It's free too (well, for the time being).

--Lannig

hi'

it does look like that free antivirus aren't able to stop any real bad attack, as the windows firewall neither ...

recently, one of my customer's machine was completly down, C drive erased and a srange partition of 40mb on front ...

avg was there up to date and windows firewall too ... nuked!!

had to delete the 2 first partition in order to get only one C Drive!

and re-install everything :D

be aware that avg or avast are free, but surely not as efficient as others,

and there is nothing commercial in there, just if you like you buy the "full" version so called pro.

I paid for BitDefender 9.5 and will never look back :o

francois

ps; and there is one with combined engines, kaperski and Bitdefender at the same time, scan is slow but surely the most efficient of now, called antivir or something alike :D

I've been infected twice in three years with AVG fully updated.

Francois is right. Pay for a real package like BitDefender if you want to give your data maximum protection.

On the other hand, the free version of Sunbelt Kerio Firewall has served me well for several years - I set it up myself, telling me to ask and warn about everything.

Very annoying the first 2-3 days, but if you take the time to define rules for it and do your homework by Googling all the processes you do not know, you will learn much more about what goes on in your computer, and you will know in most cases which ones to allow and which ones not to.

For me it was definitely worth the time.

For the moment I am still running AVG in parallel with the new programme.

It is good to have the spyware and virus checking all in one programme. :o

same here. I also run SpyBot S+D in parallel. Seems to work well so far.

Though my two PCs have never been seriously infected, I have a problem with my 12yo son's PC.

Even though he can read and understand English very well, in the heat of a game he simply clicks OK on any warning message that may pop up. In average I find 2 low to medium risk infections per week on his PC. His PC now runs AVG, SpyBot, Spyware Terminator and ZoneAlarm. How could I protect his PC better without him having to OK something (on WIN XP Pro)?

We are on an ADSL router so Firewall is a minor matter. (edit): he does not use POP3/SMTP email, only web based Yahoo.

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

hi'

it does look like that free antivirus aren't able to stop any real bad attack, as the windows firewall neither ...

Sure Francois,

Commercial software is better, no doubt. On my laptop at home I use a combination of Kaspersky Antivirus, ZoneAlarm Pro and Spy Sweeper and never had any problem. It cost's me some 80$ a year to renew but it's well worth it.

On the other hand for the average user, freeware is surely an option. Definitely better than nothing.

Cheers :o

hi'

recently, one of my customer's machine was completly down, C drive erased and a srange partition of 40mb on front ...

avg was there up to date and windows firewall too ... nuked!!

had to delete the 2 first partition in order to get only one C Drive!

and re-install everything :D

be aware that avg or avast are free, but surely not as efficient as others,

and there is nothing commercial in there, just if you like you buy the "full" version so called pro.

I paid for BitDefender 9.5 and will never look back :o

francois

ps; and there is one with combined engines, kaperski and Bitdefender at the same time, scan is slow but surely the most efficient of now, called antivir or something alike :D

In case of your customer, he/she might have just clicked something like (beautifulgirl.jpg.exe or handsomeman.jpg.exe or getrichwhilesleeping.jpg.exe:-) to release a monster like that.

"NO OF COURSE NOT!" the customer will say - insulted, do you think I'm stupid!? :-)

(btw, these are just made up names, to show how jpeg's (or whatever) can actually be executables that will/can eat your HD once activated. Even worse, they will get your passwords, Credit card details etc.)

Antivirus programs are in general 1 step behind. I am shocked to see how many of my friends still just click and open any .exe, .doc (which can contain scary vb code) without worrying.

I'm online (broadband, cable, adsl and satellite) professionally about 16 hrs. day, 7 days/week etc. for the last decade or so. I use Avast and MS firewall. Never had a problem. Also because I do make backups!

There is only one safe way to protect, a good and recent backup. I will no longer feel sorry for those that do NOT have a backup of their (oh so crucial and important) files and data. It's gone, tough. It's not just virusses or malware, imagine a fire, or your pc get's stolen or whatever, a (off site) backup (yes, not next to your PC, CD's and DVD's do melt and burn as well) will be the only security you have! I will ourn the loss of my laptop if it's stolen, but I will be back in business and up and running in a few hours.

Without doubt the paid programs are better, I never felt the need to use them. avast is a great program, Spybot and Lavasoft AdAware are the other 2 I use.

(I wonder if anyone is going to make a backup now :-)

hope this helps, but it got a bit off topic I guess, sorry!

It keeps on telling me windows updates are spyware. :o

Kind of worrying actually!!

Same here. I think it is the "Software Distribution Service 2.0" which somehow attaches itself to all win updates.

This program (Spyware Terminator) is great in many ways but it is also very intrusive. When I synchronize folders between PCs it keeps on asking for permission for each and every file EVERY TIME.

I have to switch it off quite often.

opalhort

P.S. anyway, all windows updates are usually some kind of spyware thanks to MS

hi'

Was this a 'name' machine. The big makers (HP/Dell etc) often put a small service partition on their machines which contains utility software.