Bangkok's first electric bus route launches

webfact

Bangkok's first electric bus route launches
By Coconuts Bangkok

bus.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A sleek new fully rechargable bus is rolling out on Bangkok's first electric bus route.

Developed by King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang and the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority, the route runs between the university's campus and Airport Link Lat Krabang.

The route is a pilot program the authority one day hopes to see replace buses throughout the capital.

The bus can travel 250 kilometers on a single charge with a top speed of 70kmph. It needs four to five hours to fully charge and is equipped with ramps for wheelchair users. It's also GPS-enabled for commuters to track its location, according to a state media report.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/05/21/bangkoks-first-electric-bus-route-launches

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-05-21

Sure wish they'd publish more details like battery type, drive train details, purchase price, etc.

BYD has a pretty good reputation among Chinese manufacturers, but that's not a high bar.

It will be an interesting test.

Edited by impulse

Currently in Hefei, the hub of electrical transportation smile.png , taxis, busses. mocy, everything here runs on electricty,

Parks and schools have solar street lights...

Most of the airports are supplied with electrical transortation made here

And it Thailand big news for one electrical bus developed by a uni team...giggle.gif

I do, really, wish for the program's success but, considering, historically, Thailand's planning/traffic/trained operators, this may well be the first and LAST

electric bus Thailand sees until collision takes it off the streets permanently.

Great to see the country evolving to conserve, now if they would try to lower emissions of the factories smoke stacks, I dislike the black dust!!!!!!!

I feel the same here, Amoyoi, Terrible black suit, at least in the USA they have scrubbers and taller smoke staks.

"0 emmissions

100% Electric bus"

My 2 cents:

1. These buses need electricity to run.

2. Electricity is produced by power plants.

3. Most power plants in Thailand run on fossil fuels.

4. Extracting energy from fossil fuels cause emissions.

So no, these buses do cause emissions indirectly. Nice try though.

"0 emmissions

100% Electric bus"

My 2 cents:

1. These buses need electricity to run.

2. Electricity is produced by power plants.

3. Most power plants in Thailand run on fossil fuels.

4. Extracting energy from fossil fuels cause emissions.

So no, these buses do cause emissions indirectly. Nice try though.

Yes, but in terms of efficiency, bigger better. If every Thai home had a generator, what would that be like ? In Shanghai, there are lots of electric buses. They even have aircon. They are cost effectuve 2 cents, well spent

Sure wish they'd publish more details like battery type, drive train details, purchase price, etc.

BYD has a pretty good reputation among Chinese manufacturers, but that's not a high bar.

The tech details I can't give you but the purchase price was probably 10 X the normal retail price !!!

Ohhh another thought I hope they've got a strong padlock & CCTV on the recharging point !!

The tech details I can't give you but the purchase price was probably 10 X the normal retail price !!!

Ohhh another thought I hope they've got a strong padlock & CCTV on the recharging point !!

Or BYD may have donated the first one to get get the ball rolling and improve their chances of selling the next 3,000.

Doubtful, but it would have made a nice detail for the article.