New Visa Rules

fourbaht

Visa Regulations and how they affect you  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear where has all the romance gone?...you know boy meets girl..or not so young man meets young lady and then there`s the moonlight dinners and the flowers and the chocolates...and don`t forget the lovely gifts of jewellery and gold and the clothes.......the vet`s bills for the sick buffalo and the buffalo`s great uncle............

ah! those were the days....and monthly visa runs as well......now alas 3 months to meditate and gather one`s senses :o

Tried to post this once try again..................

Been talking to guy who does visa run buses and he reckons Patters will not be affected by the the new rulings.................i/ll just say he offers 10k discount booklets if you go with him on a border run..........i/ll let you to work out who he is.

Personally i think he is talking out his arse and i told him so but he reckons Patters will be an exception to the rule.

Dont kill the messenger.........na!

Been talking to guy who does visa run buses and he reckons Patters will not be affected by the the new rulings.................i/ll just say he offers 10k discount booklets if you go with him on a border run..........i/ll let you to work out who he is.

Personally i think he is talking out his arse and i told him so but he reckons Patters will be an exception to the rule.

(why not)

Plenty of visa agencies in pattaya.

With loads of monkeys at the front, up to no good

Thinking they know more than everyone else.

Pattaya bar room bull shit, as usual,

What’s new. :o

(why not)

What’s new. :D

that guy is a real dick head :o

(why not)

that guy is a real dick head :D

Reckons he got it from talking with city hall officials . :o

(why not)

that guy is a real dick head :D

Reckons he got it from talking with city hall officials . :o

that would be right too :D

Been talking to guy who does visa run buses and he reckons Patters will not be affected by the the new rulingsPersonally i think he is talking out his arse and i told him so but he reckons Patters will be an exception to the rule.

I don't see how that could work.

Maybe Superbaby-a-Go-Go puts a stamp in your passport that you have been to Pattaya and contributed to the economy and when you go to the border you show them the stamp and they just wave you through? :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I seem to be in the minority here. I do rely on the 30 day visas (did 9 border runs in a row last time).

I work overseas in places like Afghanistan. Sometimes there are long periods between contracts (like this last stint). No embassy in Afghanistan, so I just fly to Thailand and get the 30 day stamp.

Couldn't see any point in flying all the way back to Canada, just to apply for a visa and fly back, especially as I didn't know how long it would be before I went back to work (not to mention the cost of flights, hotels and other expenses while waiting for a visa to be processed).

The monthly runs were inconvenient, but it was that or go somewhere else to spend my money. Not all 30 day runners are cheap charlies, or working illegally in the kingdom.

Too young for a retirement visa, no business set up in LOS, not ready to get married yet. There were a few of us in that situation (5 from the company I work for alone).

Now that we are going back to work, it won't be a major concern for me in the near future. When the job ends though, it could be a problem.

I think this situation is going to hurt the local Thais more than anyone. Those visa-run companies are going to take a hit. One company I used to go with averages well over 6 runners per day, sometimes as many as 18. They are probably netting well over 200,000 baht a month after expenses (fuel, food, wages and visas at the border).

This isn't really a new thing though, now that I think about it. I seem to recall that many visa-run companies switched from Poi Pet to Ban Lam, partly because the Thai Immigration officers were starting to hassle repeat runners. I heard that back last December during my first run.

Guess I'm just going to have to find some kind soul that is willing to marry me I guess. Hmmmm, what are my chances in a place like Pattaya ? :o

I can't understand why you haven't got a non-immigrant"O"!?!?!?! :D

I think the rules did need changing but the goverment has gone about it the wrong way. The investment visa removal as one example plain stupid.

I think the goverment does need to keep criminals and other persons of questionable character out of the country. I really dont fancy having the place overrun with Chinese mafia etc. They are alot harder to spot than us Europeans. I would not mind being subject to a background and criminal record check to get a visa its just this stay 90 days leave 90 days. I have also heard that 1 entry counts as a month. What about the backpackers and, dont forget buisness people. If they need to come to thailand for investment meetings, what they can only come in 3 times in a 6 month period. I hope I have been miss informed about this rule cos, its stupid.

To be honest it does take the p out of the rules when you are doing visa runs every month ( I am also guilty of this as I am a visa runner ) Did not want to get married, not over 50, never heard of the investment visa until now opps 2 late on that 1 lol. Have heard about this multi 0 visa but dont really know a thing about it. I am looking into it.

I suppose we only have our selfs to blame, I have heard that alot of people have made official complaints about having to go on visa runs (duh) if half of us got the correct visa's. Then maybe this action would not have been taken. We also have to remember that we are not privy to all the information which the Thai goverment had when making this decision. Maybe they have big problems with criminal gangs from abroad. Maybe there 2 many illegal workers. I mean who really knows what they are trying to achive.

Between the tunsinami, bombings in the south, the new years murder ( uk backpacker on samui ) army coup and the new visa rules its not looking good for tourism in Thailand. Not the kind of press coverage you want.

I am a monthly visa runner if i have to leave the country for 90 days then I will just going somewhere else and, come back that is unless it my exile I find somewhere nicer to stay.I am going think of it as a very long visa run. Quite fancy going surfing in oz, unless some one less can advise me on some where which is like Thailand and has kick ass surf. Thats the only thing I really miss while I have been in thailand, no surf.

I think the rules did need changing but the goverment has gone about it the wrong way. The investment visa removal as one example plain stupid.

I think the goverment does need to keep criminals and other persons of questionable character out of the country. I really dont fancy having the place overrun with Chinese mafia etc. They are alot harder to spot than us Europeans. I would not mind being subject to a background and criminal record check to get a visa its just this stay 90 days leave 90 days. I have also heard that 1 entry counts as a month. What about the backpackers and, dont forget buisness people. If they need to come to thailand for investment meetings, what they can only come in 3 times in a 6 month period. I hope I have been miss informed about this rule cos, its stupid.

To be honest it does take the p out of the rules when you are doing visa runs every month ( I am also guilty of this as I am a visa runner ) Did not want to get married, not over 50, never heard of the investment visa until now opps 2 late on that 1 lol. Have heard about this multi 0 visa but dont really know a thing about it. I am looking into it.

I suppose we only have our selfs to blame, I have heard that alot of people have made official complaints about having to go on visa runs (duh) if half of us got the correct visa's. Then maybe this action would not have been taken. We also have to remember that we are not privy to all the information which the Thai goverment had when making this decision. Maybe they have big problems with criminal gangs from abroad. Maybe there 2 many illegal workers. I mean who really knows what they are trying to achive.

Between the tunsinami, bombings in the south, the new years murder ( uk backpacker on samui ) army coup and the new visa rules its not looking good for tourism in Thailand. Not the kind of press coverage you want.

I am a monthly visa runner if i have to leave the country for 90 days then I will just going somewhere else and, come back that is unless it my exile I find somewhere nicer to stay.I am going think of it as a very long visa run. Quite fancy going surfing in oz, unless some one less can advise me on some where which is like Thailand and has kick ass surf. Thats the only thing I really miss while I have been in thailand, no surf.

Phillip2006, relax its not a bad as you think. If you look at the other threads you will see now it is confirmed:

- when you enter and leave the country the immigration (computers) count the number of DAYS you have been in the country.

- You can leave Thailand and come back in immediately - (well less the time it takes to get to a consul abroad anyway) - with a visa for 60 days which can be extended 30 says.

- the counting of days starts from Otober 1st.

I wont list all the permutations of visa runs versus visa, but have a look yourself and you will see it aint that bad. enjoy the surf.

New visa rules do not affect me as I get a Non Imm O multi based on the grounds of marriage to a Thai. You guys who can not get that visa can still stay here pretty much indefinitely with just a tourist visa anyway, just go to Penang get a tourist visa then when it runs out extend it 30 days then head back to Penang and do it all over again. 1 visa run every 3 Months is better than 1 every Month, it's just that it takes a few days to do it all that's all.

Hello all.

this is my first post on here, although I have been in Thailand for 6 1/2 years now and have been reading these forums regularly.

My view on the "New" visa law is this: Firstly, I do not like it because although it does not have any real effect on me, it does mean that many friends of mine ae likely to leave the country.... BUT, I do agree with it (In principle at least!). I do not see it as a way of alienating farangs in this country, rather it is more of an attempt to kick out the freeloaders (Of which there are so many). Many farangs in this country do work illegally, and I stress the word "ILLEGALLY", as in ILLEGAL and AGAINST THE LAW!, and I can't really see how people can have any real argument against that.

One area of confusion here seems to be that people are under the impression that after 3 stamps you are out for 90 days, well, that is (Apparently) not the case here: rather DAYS are counted and not stamps meaning that should, for whatever reason, you are drawn to visit, say, Poi Pet EVERY DAY for 90 days, with 90 consequtive (Sp.) stamps then you can do so.

However, there are area's that I feel need addressing to make these regulations fair. For example: I am married to a Thai, and to qualify for a 1 year Non-O visa I must show 400k in the bank or equivalent income blah blah bla! (I know, you all know that already). Well considering that this figure is WAY in excess of the national average wage, it smacks of discrimination and certainly needs to be re-assessed to a level which indicates an ability to support your family and yourself during your stay. This is just one example of "Reading between the lines" that I feel needs to be undertaken so that those who wish to be in thailand for legitimate reason's, whilst contributing to the country, are not tarred with the same brush as those who are here just to take advantage and <deleted> as many bar girls as possible.

Another thing that needs to be re-considered is the ridiculous law that stipulates that a company wanting to employ farangs must have a ratio of 7 Thai's to each farang. This week I shall be leaving to go to work in KL with a company that originally wanted to set up in Thailand although, as the company in question is a venture capital company, or a stock-brokerage and they require to have native English brokers on the phone. This law means that to have just 10 farang brokers working for them, the company would have to employ SEVENTY!!!! Thai staff. It is no suprise then that they just did not bother and decided to take their business, jobs and money elsewhere. I understand and agree with the governments policy of wanting to create jobs for the Thai people but with examples such as this one they really are shooting themselves in the foot, why on earth they do not adapt a "case by case" approach whilst sticking to general guidelines is beyond me....... Ah!, of course, such a thing would require COMMON SENSE, how silly of me!.

The bottom line though is this: If you are married, or have LEGITIMATE business or work commitmets then you should not be negatively affected and without wanting to generalise I am confident that the vast majority of those complaining about the "New" law are here, in some way, breaking the law (I.E. working without a work permit). The fact here is that we are all GUESTS in this coutry and not CAPTIVES, therefore anybody who does not like the government's policies have the option of F*cking off to somewhere where the grass is greener.

Besides which it appears possible to simply pop-over to Penang and get 3 month tourist visa's indefinately, therefore no problem right? Already I can hear the cries of "but we can't afford it". Well, if you can't afford to visit the Thai consulate in Penang 4 times a year, then WHAT THE <deleted> ARE YOU DOING HERE ANYWAY???

P.S. Could anybody please clarify weather or not my stamps from before 1st October will be counted under this "new" law?

However, there are area's that I feel need addressing to make these regulations fair. For example: I am married to a Thai, and to qualify for a 1 year Non-O visa I must show 400k in the bank or equivalent income blah blah bla! (I know, you all know that already). Well considering that this figure is WAY in excess of the national average wage, it smacks of discrimination and certainly needs to be re-assessed to a level which indicates an ability to support your family and yourself during your stay. This is just one example of "Reading between the lines" that I feel needs to be undertaken so that those who wish to be in thailand for legitimate reason's, whilst contributing to the country, are not tarred with the same brush as those who are here just to take advantage and <deleted> as many bar girls as possible.

There is discrimination towards farangs in many other ways too like National Park fees, Theme park fees, some rental agreements etc. but I do believe the theory behind the 400K for supporting your wife is that they expect farangs will need more to live here. What about single retired farang men? They need to show 800K, that is 4 times more than what you need (in your case 200K per person, for the single farang 800K for 1). Nobody likes it but it's part of what we have to put up with to live here.

Another thing that needs to be re-considered is the ridiculous law that stipulates that a company wanting to employ farangs must have a ratio of 7 Thai's to each farang. This week I shall be leaving to go to work in KL with a company that originally wanted to set up in Thailand although, as the company in question is a venture capital company, or a stock-brokerage and they require to have native English brokers on the phone. This law means that to have just 10 farang brokers working for them, the company would have to employ SEVENTY!!!! Thai staff. It is no suprise then that they just did not bother and decided to take their business, jobs and money elsewhere. I understand and agree with the governments policy of wanting to create jobs for the Thai people but with examples such as this one they really are shooting themselves in the foot, why on earth they do not adapt a "case by case" approach whilst sticking to general guidelines is beyond me....... Ah!, of course, such a thing would require COMMON SENSE, how silly of me!.

Nah you're not silly you are right! Can't see the point of hiring guys who can't speak English and can't do the job right, sure it should be done on a case by case basis but TIT.

The bottom line though is this: If you are married, or have LEGITIMATE business or work commitmets then you should not be negatively affected and without wanting to generalise I am confident that the vast majority of those complaining about the "New" law are here, in some way, breaking the law (I.E. working without a work permit). The fact here is that we are all GUESTS in this coutry and not CAPTIVES, therefore anybody who does not like the government's policies have the option of F*cking off to somewhere where the grass is greener.

Yes I agree with you here too but there is 1 catagory of person it doesn't cover. An old guy I know lives on a 28K P/M pension. He can not under any circumstances raise 800K for a retirement visa. He was doing a Monthly run for 2K. He can not do this anymore under the new rules. What can he do if no one lends him 800K? His 28K per Month is ALL spent in Thailand, surely their economy benefits from this, I mean most Thais live on a lot less.

Besides which it appears possible to simply pop-over to Penang and get 3 month tourist visa's indefinately, therefore no problem right? Already I can hear the cries of "but we can't afford it". Well, if you can't afford to visit the Thai consulate in Penang 4 times a year, then WHAT THE <deleted> ARE YOU DOING HERE ANYWAY???

In the above case the old boy would shit himself, he wouldn't know what to do or where to go. Doing his Monthly visa runs was so easy with no thought to it but I see what you mean.

P.S. Could anybody please clarify weather or not my stamps from before 1st October will be counted under this "new" law?

From what I have read on all the other threads, anything before 1st.October is not counted. I would just like to say great to see you post here, it is obvious these new visa regulations have stirred you enough to show your feelings here. Take care and welcome to TV and keep posting. :o

Edited by Ling Kae

• 4 months later...
I have never understood why people who stay in Thailand a long time use 30 day entry without visa, when other options are available. I am under 50, do not work and do not have a Thai wife. I have lived here for four years. In a year that I go back to be UK a get a one year multi entry non-immigrant visa from Hull. If I do not go to the UK I get a triple entry tourist visa in Penang. There is nothing to suggest that either of these options will disappear. In my view cheaper and much less hassel than monthly "visa" runs

Police check now required at Hull UK consulate for those planning on teaching in Thailand:

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/Aea%20%2...tion%20Pack.pdf

A country that is much to do about being a exotic tourist destination and great retirement place will no longer be so, if the rate of poverty stricken westerns continue to multiply as they have in the last 10 years. Allowing the lowest to no income western long stays continue they face losing the attraction of the people that will have disposable income of $40+K who will buy new vehicles and expensive houses and live to the standard they would in the west.

They are not looking for westerners from the lowest income earners and their problems to be a reason

to not attract the average to successful westerner or tourist who spend much more on a per day basis.

They would like to have the wilder bunch spend and leave and not try to stay and live on a low budget.

It's a small country and has its limits and own problems.

(why not)

that guy is a real dick head :o

Well now isn;t that a ballsy thing to say, hiding behind an alias on an internet forum, why don't you tell him to his face, my guess is you haven't got the balls

perhaps dick head is what dick head says