Temp address for bank account.

Hi, I will be moving to Thailand soon on a Retirement Visa, I aim to be traveling around the country quite a bit in the first year and will also be making a couple of short trips back to the UK. I understand that I will need a bank account in Thailand which will of course necessitate having an address, anyone have any ideas where I can find a secure legitimate address I could use for this purpose while I decide where I'm going to finally buy/rent a property.
Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Not sure what kind of visa you are going to have when you enter the country.

If are going to get a OA long stay visa from the embassy in London you will not need a bank account for about 2 years.

If you plan on getting a one year extension of stay at immigration you will need a bank account if you are using the 800 baht in the bank option.

For either of the above you will need a permanent address for doing 90 day reports.

Perhaps you could rent a small room and get a rental contract for it to use as proof of residence.

• Like 1

I too once opened a bank acct. using a hotel's address, though of course, I did not state it was a hotel. Nor did I say that the phone number which I gave them was also the hotel's. If one bank won't open an acct for you, try others.

• Like 1

20 odd years ago I know but, my Thai bank has never yet asked for an address!

I opened my account before coming here as an ex-pat and, like you, I was concerned that I only had a temporary hotel address. In those days of yore, it was no problem but, today, I wouldn't know.

All this means that my reply is of little help - sorry!!

I first opened a bank account while staying in a small 'Mansion' type condo, rather than a hotel, and used this address.

The staff were helpful and kept hold of mail while I was looking for a more permanent apartment

Consider renting in a serviced type mansion/residential place instead of a hotel, even if short term. Bank less likely to question the address if it doesn't say "Hotel X"

They have probably tightened up in the last few years since I did it, but I once opened an account at SCB using my hotel's address. In fact I only updated it last year.

Myself in 2009 and a mate in 2011: walk in to Kasikorn (K-Bank), Pattaya Royal Garden.

Put passport and hotel business card on the desk.

20 min later walk out with savings account book and ATM card.

Does it still work?

What I read here is that K.bank now forces foreigners to sign for some insurance?

Might be annoying. Also their ATM cards are quite expensive.

as in some posts already discussed,

try to open a bank account in one of the main branches in tourist area - Sathon, Sukhumvit area,

in a small town in Issan they wouldn't know what to do with you !

I had luck, i had an adress and phone of my friend in BKK along with me,

and trhey took home adress from 2 documents , passport and DL;

even if you 2 years with Visa from another country,

its more convinient to have an account in Thai, and never too much cash in pocket or room;

also you get good exchange rates if you transfer from outside to your account in Th;

Not sure what kind of visa you are going to have when you enter the country.

If are going to get a OA long stay visa from the embassy in London you will not need a bank account for about 2 years.

If you plan on getting a one year extension of stay at immigration you will need a bank account if you are using the 800 baht in the bank option.

For either of the above you will need a permanent address for doing 90 day reports.

Perhaps you could rent a small room and get a rental contract for it to use as proof of residence.

------------------------

Exactly.

I live in a rented flat.

I have a 3 month rental contract and pay monthly rent to keep the rental contract active.

I use that as my local address...... and my bank and Thai immigration accepts that as my local residence address.

They have probably tightened up in the last few years since I did it, but I once opened an account at SCB using my hotel's address. In fact I only updated it last year.

Myself in 2009 and a mate in 2011: walk in to Kasikorn (K-Bank), Pattaya Royal Garden.

Put passport and hotel business card on the desk.

20 min later walk out with savings account book and ATM card.

Does it still work?

What I read here is that K.bank now forces foreigners to sign for some insurance?

Might be annoying. Also their ATM cards are quite expensive.

any bank now like in EU or somewhere else force you to sign some insurance package;

be kindly, say you just in move in, so you need some time to decide, you'll be back soon;

or ask to give you some opportunities which you want to discuss with your wife !! :-))

No must you sign any !!

( If you just take a debit card !! );

I used my hotel's business card. K-bank had no problem with it at all. If K-bank, or any bank, tries to sell you insurance just say no, and tell the person you're speaking to that it is NOT a requirement (it's not). If the bank employee insists, then ask to speak to someone else. If that doesn't get you anywhere, politely say no thank-you and proceed to another branch. This is Thailand, and you have to expect this.

Oh, and yes, do make sure they know you're wanting a savings account, not a current account, and an ATM/debit card, not a credit card.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1

A mate of mine just used the hotel receipt for the address an international drivers licence and his exempt Visa status to open an account at Bangkok Bank Pattaya.

Seems simple really.

Regards

declare a simple address,

your name and friends name

Sreet number etc.

no problem.

I have Thailand address for 40 years

No one at the post office ever challenged my true <off topic comment removed>

Ibrahim

Edited by ubonjoe

Thanks to everyone for your replies sounds straight forward now. If I understand it correctly, I can get an OA visa in London based on my local bank statements, have a one year visa stamp on entry into Thailand during that time sort my self out with a permanant address then stick 800-900k into a Thai bank account.

Thanks again

<reply to a edited out comment removed >

Edited by ubonjoe

Thanks to everyone for your replies sounds straight forward now. If I understand it correctly, I can get an OA visa in London based on my local bank statements, have a one year visa stamp on entry into Thailand during that time sort my self out with a permanant address then stick 800-900k into a Thai bank account.

Thanks again

<reply to a edited out comment removed >

The OA visa will allow multiple one year entries for a year. If you do an entry on or before the visas enter before date (visa expiration one year from date of issue) you will get another one year entry. After you do the last entry you can get a re-entry permit for it to keep it valid if you want tor travel. This means it will be almost 2 years before you need to get an extension of stay.

Not sure I understand. Do you mean that if I get a OA multi entry visa and enter Thailand on 1st January 2016 and then for example visit UK in mid December and re-enter Thailand say 30th December2016 they will then extend that visa for another year?.

The visa validity starts from the date it is issued not when you first enter the country using it.

If the enter before date on your visa is the 1st of January 2016 and you enter on the 30th of December you will get a new one year entry.

It is not an extension of your visa it is a one year permit to stay that you keep valid by getting a re-entry permit if you want to travel.

• Like 1

I don't think it would make a lot of difference what address you use, they seldom if ever write to you anyway. Maybe they might to warn you about an A/C closure if you were down to the last few Baht in the account.

I too once opened a bank acct. using a hotel's address, though of course, I did not state it was a hotel. Nor did I say that the phone number which I gave them was also the hotel's. If one bank won't open an acct for you, try others.

Yep, I did that too, but back in 1991. No Problem then and I can't see why it would be one nowadays, as many hotels and guesthouses

offer long term rentals.

Your telephone number is more important than an address when it comes to banking in Thailand

As others have said, they rarely, if ever, contact you at your address but there are many services from your Thai bank that will require responding to telephone inquiries, such as One Time Passwords (OTP) and other type of confirmations

My experience one Saturday morning about two months ago: When I tried to open an account, all the bank reps, the first words out of their mouth was "Work permit.?" Which I do not have, as I am retired, so I had to try the next bank.

But that morning a man at Kasikorn bank opened an account for me. Seemed the only thing he needed was a passport and an address. And no I don't have any great ideas about an address.

Looks like some good advice above about visa and things. What I wanted to tell you is if one bank or one bank branch says no, try, try, and try again. I was in a mall, I don't know if you know, but here many malls have many of the bank branches, and I just walked from bank to bank asking if they would open an account. Probably went to five or six, and as outlined above, most said no. But K bank let me open an act, and everything is going fine.

A Canadian friend of a friend had good luck with Bangkok Bank. The reason I mention that is I have heard on this forum that BB has an easy way (i.e. free) of transferring money from U.S. accounts. So that might be a consideration as to which bank you want to use.

I opened a Bangkok bank account ( around 12 years ago) just using my passport and a hotel address. I have travelled between Nigeria, the UK and Thailand for several years before I finally resided here, Still using the same account. ( I did update my address once i moved here though)

Edited by lucifer666

The reason the bank tellers try and get you to buy insurance is for one thing only: COMMISSION.

Even the girls in the branch that I use, where they all know me by first name, still try and get me to buy insurance every year. They will even phone you when it runs out, to try for renewal.

The reason the bank tellers try and get you to buy insurance is for one thing only: COMMISSION.

Even the girls in the branch that I use, where they all know me by first name, still try and get me to buy insurance every year. They will even phone you when it runs out, to try for renewal.

So true. Same as in Europe since long.

Banks have grown to insurance agencies.

Here it is somewhat "new".

Edited by KhunBENQ

My experience one Saturday morning about two months ago: When I tried to open an account, all the bank reps, the first words out of their mouth was "Work permit.?" Which I do not have, as I am retired, so I had to try the next bank.

But that morning a man at Kasikorn bank opened an account for me. Seemed the only thing he needed was a passport and an address. And no I don't have any great ideas about an address.

Looks like some good advice above about visa and things. What I wanted to tell you is if one bank or one bank branch says no, try, try, and try again. I was in a mall, I don't know if you know, but here many malls have many of the bank branches, and I just walked from bank to bank asking if they would open an account. Probably went to five or six, and as outlined above, most said no. But K bank let me open an act, and everything is going fine.

A Canadian friend of a friend had good luck with Bangkok Bank. The reason I mention that is I have heard on this forum that BB has an easy way (i.e. free) of transferring money from U.S. accounts. So that might be a consideration as to which bank you want to use.

There's a dedicated thread on opening a Thai Bank Account & a few people have reported no problems at Bangkok Bank Soi Buakhao branch just north of Soi Honey(11), opposite the Butchers Arms pub (or Pook Bar if that's your preference).