Bank Account

gadg

Hi ...

Arrived in Bangkok last week and now in the process of getting myself set up here. For instance looking for an apartment, but also trying to setup a bank account. Which proved to be more difficult than expected.

It appears that Bangkok Bank has changed their rules for a farang to open an account. While by many accounts previously a passport would suffice, you now need either a work permit or certificate of residence. With this, you can also apply for internet banking it seems. A call to Bangkok Bank confirmed this and it is also stated on their website.

And yes, I did go to the main office on Silom Road. Anyway, as I will not be working in Bangkok, nor will I be able to get that certificate from my embassy because of the requirements they have for it, it seems I'm out of luck. So I'm stuck either using my own foreign ATM/credit cards (which is not a problem, but I would prefer not to for personal reasons) or try to find another solution.

Question:

Does anyone have any suggestions for another solution? Any other banks I could try? Any experience in this area?

Thanks,

Rob

Edited by gadg

Some banks ask for work permits and others don't. Only a few weeks ago we opened accounts successfully at Bank of Ayudhya so give a couple of banks a try. Search the forums on here, this conversation's been had many times before. You'll find plenty of advice people have already written.

K-Bank (Kasikornbank) is no problems, they give you both Savings account, VISA Electron, VISA Web Shopping Card and Internet banking with just a passport.

George:

I will be moving to Thailand later this year (I know, I know, any later and the year will be over!), and would like to set up some accounts as described above from the USA with a US Passport before arriving in Thailand. Any chance of that? If so, can you point me to any specifics?

Thanks.

K-Bank (Kasikornbank) is no problems, they give you both Savings account, VISA Electron, VISA Web Shopping Card and Internet banking with just a passport.

George:

I will be moving to Thailand later this year (I know, I know, any later and the year will be over!), and would like to set up some accounts as described above from the USA with a US Passport before arriving in Thailand. Any chance of that? If so, can you point me to any specifics?

Thanks.

No way to setup a Thai bank account from abroad. You need to visit a local branch in person.

Some banks ask for work permits and others don't. Only a few weeks ago we opened accounts successfully at Bank of Ayudhya so give a couple of banks a try. Search the forums on here, this conversation's been had many times before. You'll find plenty of advice people have already written.

Work permit?I am tired of ignorant people asking me for a work permit they seem to be programed and don't seem to understand that I have a retirement visa and don't work.I wish they would teach them to think for themselves.Why would I have a work permit if I am retired????????? :o:D

Dear gadg,

Just to confirm what was said above about Kasikornbank. At Xmas I setup an account with a passport and 1000฿ at Pat Phong, got internet banking two weeks later with details sent to a friend's address.

A month ago I setup another Kasikorn account in Trat again wih 1000฿ and a passport, however the internet banking has not proved so easy.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

Funny i see this topic pop up. I just got home from "Krung Thai" setting up a savings acct. My new job banks with them and requires me to set up an account. The account would not open if the box on his computer screen was checked "yes" to the work permit question. He tried for a while :o then i just told them i had one...which is half true, im registered with the ministry but they haven’t issued the permit quite yet, another couple weeks.

I previously have set up accts at bangkok bank and siam commercial and was never asked to prove these things.

Work permit?I am tired of ignorant people asking me for a work permit they seem to be programed and don't seem to understand that I have a retirement visa and don't work.I wish they would teach them to think for themselves.Why would I have a work permit if I am retired????????? :o:D

Jeez, man. Get a grip. It they could think for themselves, they wouldn't be Thai.

I opened an account in July at the Bangkok Bank branch on Second Road inj Pattaya with just a passport and 5,000 baht. They accepted a hotel address with no problem, since I had only been in Thailand for two days. I suggest that you try a different branch of Bangkok Bank or try a different bank. Sooner or later you will hit a winner.

Jeez, man. Get a grip. It they could think for themselves, they wouldn't be Thai.

uh, yeah. a nation full of automatons is the is reason for thai banking idosyncracies.

perhaps the old asia hand should seek a nation with more acceptable inhabitants

Edited by t.s

George:

Thanks.

No way to setup a Thai bank account from abroad. You need to visit a local branch in person.

i just opened an account with hsbc in edinburgh scotland, they told me that they can open an account for me in thailand at the edinburgh branch. hsbc is in bangkok

i just opened an account with hsbc in edinburgh scotland, they told me that they can open an account for me in thailand at the edinburgh branch. hsbc is in bangkok

I actually looked into HSBC. Problem is, they have only 1 branch office in Bangkok and I haven't seen a whole lot of their ATM machines. So, unless you happen to live in that area, it would be a hassle to bank with them if you ask me. Ofcourse you can use other ATM machines, but they would charge you for it and I'm not sure if you can pay your bills on the ATM machines of another bank.

But sure, if you for sure cannot wait until you are in Thailand before you open an account, it's an option.

Actually, I believe the rules are quite simple. If you want to be able to write checks on your account, you must have a work permit or residence permit. On the other hand, if you can work with a savings account, just a passport is required.

If you get a savings account with an ATM card, you can conduct any business at a teller to ATM pmachine -- make deposits and withdrawals, pay most common bills, transfer money to anyone person's or company's account at any Thai bank, etc. I've not had a checking account since I moved to Thailand 6 years ago.

I have always paid my rent by depositing the money in my landlord's account. If you buy something for contract for a service, you can almost always arrange to transfer the money to the seller's bank account -- and it doesn't matter what banks are involved.

I also went to Hsbc,but in Slough near where i work, to open bank account for use in Thailand for next year when i retire there new laws permitting :D

Their reply was yes,you can have english HSBC accoumt, and after one year we could recommend you to the bangtkok branch to increase the chances of you getting account

needless to say not happy with this at all :o:D

told them to stuff the account after giving all my info during interview for account thats right an interveiw for an account :D

they then send all sorts of stuff to my house after I told them NOT to! :D:D

not a bank to depend on at all IMHO but my brother has been with them for 20 yrs and wont swap for anything but then he earns a hel_l of a lot more and lives in HK :D

so it may be a caes of what you earn and where you earn it?

reading this thread with great interest as need to set up bank account in Pattaya in November

The best bank in Thailand is now Siam Comercial Bank, who has plenty of branches nationwide. Don't worry about setting up an account until you get here.

You now need a letter from Immigration which cost 200baht. Gat settled first, and apt, or condo etc. Then bring your rental agreement to Immigration and they will give you the letter of residence

I don't know how lomg you plan to stay in Thailand, be aware that the immigration rules have just changed, so don't come with a tourist visa if you plan to live here.

Barry

uh, yeah. a nation full of automatons is the is reason for thai banking idosyncracies.

Wow, what a great idea. Why didn't I ever think of that before? And, if I'm looking for folks who are smarter and better educated, there are sure as heck a whole lot of choices, aren't there?

I am totally with you on that one. I am married to a Thai lady who could easily outthink the 'OldAsiaHand' even while looking down the barrel of his gun. :o

The residency cert is easy to obtain once you have rented a place and is usually required for such things as a Thai driver's license. Like Immigration, they just want to know your status and where you are living for their own protection; and our's, whether some would like to believe that or not...