Phuket lucky number plate auction raises B20m

webfact

Phuket lucky number plate auction raises B20m
Nattha Thepbamrung

1432614516_1-org.jpg
A bevy of pretty girls were on hand to tempt buyers.

PHUKET: -- Bidders in the lucky car number plate auction last weekend (May 23 and 24) paid out B20,552,000 for plates they hope will bring them luck, wealth or simply a good life.

But the amounts bid were much lower this year than last. The largest winning bid was B700,000, for the number Korkai Yoryak 9999, a lot less than last year’s bid of B1,199,999 for a 9999 plate.

Other high bids, all for Korkai-Yoryak plates, were B500,000 for 8888, B420,000 for 1111, B255,000 for 8899, B220,000 for 2222 and B200,000 for 3333.

The totals raised have been falling year by year, from B30.5 million in 2012, to B26 million in 2013, and B23.7 million last year.

The winning 9999 bid came from Thanat Leela-Anantawong. He was bidding on behalf of his father, Kittichai, who told The Phuket News, “The number 9999 has been my favourite for a long time. I have been attending the auction for seven years and so far this is the fourth 9999 plate I have successfully bid for.

“I also won 1111 this time, for B420,000.”

He said that the new plate will go on on his new SLK Mercedes, with the other three being assigned to Isuzu, Ford and Mitsubishi pickup trucks he owns.

Asked why he is willing to spend so much for a couple of pieces of tin, he said, “It is about feeling good with your plate. The number 9 is the best number, the luckiest number. You can see that 9999 is always the most expensive in the auctions.

“Also, it makes me happy to know that my money will be helping traffic victims,” Mr Kittichai added.

Money raised from the annual auction goes to the Department of Land Transport’s Traffic Safety Foundation, which provides support for road accident victims such as buying artificial legs and wheelchairs.

Chairing the event was Governor Nisit Jansomwong. He said, “The auction seemed to attract a lot of local Phuket people.

“Even though I did not bid myself, I felt excited by the atmosphere, with the skilful auctioneer pushing up the prices, and by seeing how much people were prepared to pay to get the plate they wanted.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-lucky-number-plate-auction-raises-b20m-52481.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-05-26

Money raised from the annual auction goes to the Department of Land Transport’s Traffic Safety Foundation, which provides support for road accident victims such as buying artificial legs and wheelchairs.

Wouldn't preventing people from needing artificial legs and wheelchairs be better.

Wait, that could already be done, the resources are already there to do that.

Wouldn't preventing people from needing artificial legs and wheelchairs be better.

But this exercise just adds to that amount, don't forget that. Is there something wrong with that?

unreal. More money than brains ! Who on earth cares what number they have???

Those who can afford it, perhaps?

Maybe the disabled who benefit from these auctions will appreciate those people with "more money than brains".

whistling.gif B 700000,- for a number plate...hope they pay their taxes as easy as they pay for "in Thailand status"

I hope you, as a tax monitor, pay as much, proportionately, as these buyers do to the victims of road accidents.

But this exercise just adds to that amount, don't forget that. Is there something wrong with that?

Please tell me how buying wheelchairs and artificial limbs for people who need them now contributes in any way to the prevention of more people needing them in the future.

And to think that some of the purchasers of these plates "officially" earn only 300 baht a day. biggrin.png

Is that so? Who might those be? Edited by stevenl

And to think that some of the purchasers of these plates "officially" earn only 300 baht a day. biggrin.png

Who cares how much the buyers of such plates "officially" earn...

With each of the expensive plates, the buyers probably contribute more to the society than 100 posters of this forum. Without even mentioning the super expensive "9999" ones.

I am surprised to read that not everyone duly appreciates this type of auction and the benefit it brings to the society.

But, ... Oh yes, I forgot. This is Thaivisa :)

I really don't see where the problem is... Jealousy, may be?

The bidders are happy and the state too. For once, people are happy paying taxes :-)

On a side note, this practice is very popular in developed countries too (HK, UK, etc.).

When living in Europe, my 911 had a special number ;-)

Edited by Fab5BKK

You're missing the point anyway...

The topic is about number plate auction and isn't about corruption.

Or

From your point of view, everything in the world is linked with corruption in Thailand...

And re. FIFA, I don't think the Thais were / are the most corrupted.

BTW, try to enjoy your day a little bit... It'll make you happier...

;-)

@ stevenl

It's not a nonsense comment.

On one hand, you can't say, for example, that all the "Beach Clubs" were allowed to open and flourish, due to corruption, and then on the other hand, say, there is no corruption involved in the sale of another Government asset, in this case, number plates.

What about the companies owned by the relatives of local politicians that gain lucrative public contracts?

What about monthly "tea money" to the police?

What about the pathetic transport mafia here?

What about the jet-ski scam?

What about the lack of safety inspections on dive boats? Bungee Jump businesses operating with offical documents, training, and maintnence to equipment.

I could go on, and on, but for some mysterious reason, every baht from the sale of these plates will go to the victims of road accidents here.

On a national level, look at Thaksin. Look at the DSI chief in Bangkok with the billions of baht in cash in his 9 houses.

Corruption exists at all levels in Thai society.

I remember reading a survey published recently that the majority of Thai's believe corruption is ok, provided it doesn't hurt anyone. They don't stop to think, corruption actually hurts everyone.

You are embarrassing yourself now.

So?

An auction was held, and money was raised, in part for a good cause. Nothing to do with anything you're describing.

Everybody happy, only you're claiming too much money is being held back. As I said, please show me how much money is being held back because of corruption. That was my question, unanswered, but in stead you chose to name Thaksin as corrupt. Trying to get the topic even further off topic and derail it?.

"money was raised, in part for a good cause" - now you are saying, "in part for a good cause." Why, "in part?" All of the money is supposed to go to "the Department of Land Transport’s Traffic Safety Foundation."

Have you noticed any "safety" implemented on Phuket roads from last year's plate auction? Look at the death and injury on the roads here, year after year.

So, out of all the money raised, how much of a "part" is going to the Foundation???? You tell me.

Sure, I can't tell you the exact baht figure of how much goes where, but I bet it's not 100% of the funds raised going to where they should be going.

I suppose if only 1 baht gets to someone in need, or a raod safety project, that's better than no baht at all, but I see the auction as a sham charity raiser.

By personally attacking me, it is you who are off topic.

I asked for substantiation to your claims, you can't give that but keep on claiming it is a sham. End for me.

Btw, I say 'in part' because there are expenses to this auction, I presume to be paid from the auction results.

Substance.

Has road safety improved?

Has traffic law enforcement improved?

Has driver education improved?

Has the number of vehicle related fatalities and injuries fallen?

Substantiate that to prove it isn't just a money making scam.

Substance.

Has road safety improved?

Has traffic law enforcement improved?

Has driver education improved?

Has the number of vehicle related fatalities and injuries fallen?

Substantiate that to prove it isn't just a money making scam.

From the OP:

"Money raised from the annual auction goes to the Department of Land Transport’s Traffic Safety Foundation, which provides support for road accident victims such as buying artificial legs and wheelchairs."

Nothing to do with any of the points you raised.