Big bikes to face tighter noise control in Thailand

webfact

Big bikes to face tighter noise control

5-27-2015-11-46-49-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Land Transport Department is to impose tighter noise control on big bikes or big motorcycles with the noise level not exceeding 95 decibels.

Land transport deputy director-general Mr Wattana Pattharachon said he had already discussed with producers and importers of big bikes about the problem of their loud noise that the department has wanted to control.

He said that from now on manufacturers of big bikes would have their prototype motorbikes sent to the department for examination before production licences were to be granted.

As for the importers, imported big bikes will be examined to determine whether they meet the noise standard set by the department before they can be put on sale, he added.

Mr Wattana said he had informed the manufacturers and importers of big bikes to warn their distributors or dealers not to sell or install substandard exhaust pipes failing that the department might revoke the certificates of the models of the bikes In question.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/big-bikes-to-face-tighter-noise-control

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-28

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps they should focus more on the teenage punks that all but remove their exhaust pipe so they can zoom around the place with zero torque but full noise.

coffee1.gif

100% agree with this, the noise pollution in Pattaya is reaching intolerable levels and it is nothing to do with large bikes, it is Thai's and their incessant need to make noise - totally removing anything that resembles an exhaust and blasting out a sound that closely resembles a very loud long fart - how they think it is cool is beyond me

DAMN... I just took the baffles out of my Benelli 600....

I need to get back at all those imbeciles that let their dogs out to f*&k and scream all day and night.....

Anyway, the pigs have to catch me first :)

They better start with the annoying old trucks and busses, as the number of big bikes in Thailand is remarkably little ( in comparison to many European countries or the US ).

New bikes aren't loud anyhow, when they come out of the factory, it's the aftermarket mufflers who give them the good sound. But would be too much to expect this knowledge from the Land Transport Department coffee1.gif

This is a good thing IMO. My bike was ridiculously loud when I picked it up from the dealer, I was setting off car alarms on my first ride and I couldn't wait to get the baffles in when I got home, I felt like a right prick.

Even with the baffles in I failed the sound test at Khao Yai as my bike came up at 97db during the very unscientific test they did with it (he was making me rev the bike very hard before taking the reading and had the meter very close to the exhaust). After failing, 5 minutes of talking politely, promising to ride slow etc. he let me in but I could have done without the hassle.

The trouble is (as always here) that the police won't enforce it properly, so 200 Baht will see you on your way. So it doesn't really matter what they do before the bike leaves the showroom as it will just be the same old Wild West as soon as you drive away. Might create some nice opportunities for graft though.

While I agree that show-offs revving their motorbike engines is a problem, an exhaust with a bit of noise is a good safety feature as it draws other motorists attention to you. That, and a nice pair of 110db air horns :)

< deleted > the big bikes, their noise is nothing compared to the scooters that are 10 times louder racing around all over the place.

And it's stupid anyway, selling a big bike with a quieter exhaust means nothing, cos it'll be changed to a louder one as soon as they get it home.

Whilst they are at it, they might want to look into the &lt;deleted&gt;'s who have all their speakers on the outside of their trucks, blasting Isaan music out at all times of the day and night.

They should only allow big bikes that sound cool loud pipes. Harleys and two strokes would be banned as both sound like industrial machinery.

No way, a well setup 2 stroke can sound awesome when it's on the pipe.

I agree about the Harleys though, back when I was living in Phuket I'd regularly have to stop my conversation for 10 seconds while some Wild Hog cruised past the restaurant with his open pipes and bargirl on the back.

why don't they start to control the noise of the old truck , bus , pick-up , music on the pick-up , tuk-tuk ? i live at 5 km of the higway to pranburi and i hear the noise of those stupid old truck , when they passe for 2 or 3 minutes . the shit dogs who make noise day and night . but you never see any policeman for those problems , even when you call them .

Lots to agree with here. Blasted Honda Waves with no baffles in the silencers, Down my pub last week and one of these contraptions came past on full chat and even the LB I was talking to said ooooweee ! Never mind , the noise plod are all in bed after 8pm in my little town. Just as well they live out in the styx .

Personally i find the noise of buses and trucks here with exhaust mods making strange farting noises much more annoying than any bikes i hear on the roads here, i also notice they stamp up and down on the gas pedal for no reason but to make noise, almost like they have a nervous twitch in the right leg,

Cant for the life of me work out who they are trying to impress

Yawn, let me know when they are going to crack down on the speaker trucks that blast advertisements at 125db... Until then, this is just another way to extract baht from the public...

Surely this is a wind up,let's see when the clamp down starts at the local market of all places,and at the funeral going on over at soi 114 three miles away,did I forget to mention the village loud speaker Mr pu yai bahn loves to crank up at 5.39 every day with last months news.

Once again a new rule with little truth behind. Indeed, I agree big bikes are sometimes too loud, but compared to the quantity of stupid scooters, vendors/tuk tuk/moto taxi/mini van/buses with loud speakers or just ridiculously damaged pipes...is that really worth it to put it all on the newborn big bike market in Thailand?

It really feels like police/gvt is trying hard to find new revenues in the street.

When will they actually watch for Helmets, Tires (truck especially) conditions, Twisted frames of public buses and drunk driving? Maybe some lights on the cars and truck would be appreciable too?

DAMN... I just took the baffles out of my Benelli 600....

I need to get back at all those imbeciles that let their dogs out to f*&k and scream all day and night.....

Anyway, the pigs have to catch me first smile.png

Well, I for one hope they do catch you.

Its a pain the arse. I dont know why the people need to have such noise. Is it a Macho thing ??

All noise should be limited, on bikes, busses, trucks, clubs, wakes, public events etc. After 11:00 PM it should be quiet as children need to get their sleep. Only need to look at the IQ level in Thailand to understand that children need more sleep.

Lots to agree with here. Blasted Honda Waves with no baffles in the silencers, Down my pub last week and one of these contraptions came past on full chat and even the LB I was talking to said ooooweee ! Never mind , the noise plod are all in bed after 8pm in my little town. Just as well they live out in the styx .

By LB, I assume that means LadyBoy

Perhaps they should focus more on the teenage punks that all but remove their exhaust pipe so they can zoom around the place with zero torque but full noise.

coffee1.gif

100% agree with this, the noise pollution in Pattaya is reaching intolerable levels and it is nothing to do with large bikes, it is Thai's and their incessant need to make noise - totally removing anything that resembles an exhaust and blasting out a sound that closely resembles a very loud long fart - how they think it is cool is beyond me

Every teenager or young adult thinks it is cool. I see no difference between Swiss (where I'm from) and Thai teenagers. Just that in Switzerland, the police will stop them sooner or later and then the fun is over. :-)