On-arrival Visas: 90 Days And You’re Out!

This really messes me up.....I am 41 yrs old, retiring from the military soon with a pension, all I wish to do is stay in Thailand with my GF and travel around......if they are only talking about 'consecutive voa's and they won't be messing with people who posses "tourist visas", then I should be ok, I'll just have to get tourist visas every couple months, not the best route but feasible.....that is if they leave visa holders alone, as they state in the regulation. See what they need is a visa for people like me, I have plan to work there at all.

travlling

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am a 49 year old who can get his pension at the age of 50 who works in England and was planning to move to Thailand next August what do i do now?

the lump sum i take from my pension will be used to build a home so i will not be able to stick 800,000 in the bank.HELP

Straight forward? ... Not a chance (and there hasn't been for quite a few years - nothing changed) ... You only have two options for a longstay retirement in Thailand: 1) Show proof of 800,000 baht on your Thai bank account, originated from abroad, at every yearly extension. 2) Get a letter from your embassy stating you get a monthly pension from abroad (don't remember how much, but that monthly income must sort of level with the 800,000 a year)

Once one is 50 years of age,AND is getting a pension he/she will be able to use this pension amount (confirmed by the home embassy)in combination with the Thai bank acct. to meet the 800K requirement come extension time. In other words,in this case one does NOT need the full 800K baht in the bank.

What does this mean for those of us who go to Penang for a triple entry tourist visa twice a year?
The tourist visa is not mentioned in this announcement. Therefore, this announcement means nothing for you.

However, if you are working illegally in Thailand you should nevertheless do whatever is necessary to get legal. The basic policy seems to be the removal of foreigners working illegally in Thailand and if this new rule does not stop them the government may have other ways to do so.

---------------

Maestro

Excuuuuuuuuse me, but you do NOT know that.

The spirit of this new crackdown is to stop SERIAL TOURISTS, whether by stamp or tourist visas. Do you seriously think that if you show up in Penang with a passport full of stamps and visas, that it will continue to be business as usual? Yes, its possible. But it seems more likely it will not be.

There is another Sunbelt post confirming my conclusion that it is folly to feel secure in this situation.

Nevertheless,Maestro is correct in saying that,at least thus far, there has been nothing said about limiting tourist visas. Dont forget,30 entry stamps are free,tourist visas,(like any other visa) are a steady source of revenue for the Thai govt. One simply cannot extrapolate and say that the 30 day entry stamp limit will someday spill over and include tourist visas as well.

And me what can I do, I'm 65 and I stay here whit my retirement money but it is only 40.000Bath a month. I'm dutch and my country have sign whit Thailand a agrement so the both country's have the right to check if I'm working and for sure I'm not working. And the ampur here in Songhkla know that I stay here, I have not 800.000Bath on a Thai bank and I hop already for years to Malysia. I cant go back to the Netherlands becouse there is nothing and there is no house for me. so what can I doo.

Greetings

billshot64

There are a significant number of people living in Thailand who do not seem to qualify for any of the visa options UNLESS they are going to permit endless tourist visas. What visa would you suggest a 40 year old retired American apply for who is not married to a Thai and does not wish to work or do business in Thailand?

If a 40-year old American is truly in position to spend the rest of his/her life in a foreign country as a true retiree - he/she must have sufficient money for those investment related visas still avaiable ... The "cheapest" (in terms of how much must be put on the table) would be to form a company, which employs you as some kind of director for a salary sufficient to get you one-year extension of you perm itted-to-stay-stamps. Of course, you'll have to pay tax of that (maybe only on paper) income --- but why not, if you like this country enough to want to stay here for good? ... Well, I gues the company also needs to do some sort of business to remain an acceptable entity - but if you're only 40 years old - no symphaty from here if you feel too old to trying comply with that ...

If the answer is that in order to stay, you would need to form a company to do some token business, then great, we all understand now. Form a bullshit company and get a work permit or leave. Unfortunately there is no clarification from immigration.

The clarification will come from immigration officer when you show up without one of the visas that that they require, or too many of the stamps that they told you are unacceptable, and then they tell you to leave.

This whole thing seems extremely simple to me, and there should be very little confusion for anyone that has been in Thailand for more than a year.

Simple principle, if you come here often and don't have a long term visa, you will need to get the paper 60 day tourist visas from embassies or consulates abroad, instead of the 30 transit (VOA) stamps you are accustom to getting, if you want to stay here long term or come often in a short period of time. Thats it, this isn't rocket science.

If you say that that is too big of an expense for you, I am sure Thailands response would be, if an AirAsia ticket, and a couple nights in a hotel room is too big of an expense for you, then we don't want

your broke arse here anyways.

For overseas workers that come here often, and truely are just frequent tourists, you are getting the short end of the stick.

You will have to go to get 60 day tourist visas at embassies or consulates, if you feel that is too much trouble, that is ok, you are a insignificant to the

Thai government or its economy, so there won't be a problem if you want to go somewhere else.

People that have been here less than a year, I feel for you, this is probably very confusing.

Edited by cutter007

These kinds of posts are really starting to annoy me. Can you please open your eyes? There are a significant number of people living in Thailand who do not seem to qualify for any of the visa options UNLESS they are going to permit endless tourist visas. What visa would you suggest a 40 year old retired American apply for who is not married to a Thai and does not wish to work or do business in Thailand?

Here is one possibility. Get on a plane every 90 days. Fly down to Singapore & get yourself a visa.

Just because you have made the decision to "live" in Thailand does not mean the Government nescessarily will afford you that "right". Put on your thinking cap & see if you can comply with the law.

Edited by dotcom

:D Iam totally confused on the new visa arrangements, as I have a stepdaughter living in Thailand and because of her grandparents falsifying records that she is their daughter need to have DNA tests done and for approval to challenge the thai authorities to enable her to be able to come to Australia and live with her mother as I know the legal proces is very slow in Thailand and also I will need to be in Thailand what can a person do in this situation and the other problem is that her mother is laotian.

any advice please. :o

And me what can I do, I'm 65 and I stay here whit my retirement money but it is only 40.000Bath a month. I'm dutch and my country have sign whit Thailand a agrement so the both country's have the right to check if I'm working and for sure I'm not working. And the ampur here in Songhkla know that I stay here, I have not 800.000Bath on a Thai bank and I hop already for years to Malysia. I cant go back to the Netherlands becouse there is nothing and there is no house for me. so what can I doo.

Greetings

billshot64

I don't think you are the only one in a similar position. Possibly the worst scenario is that your retirement may for a time be split between Thailand and A.N.Other nearby country if you have difficulty applying for 'normal' visas. Travel broadens the mind?

>>>Guess the essence of the situation is: Thailand has no room for non-producing hangarounds in the working age ... Who can blame them?

What if your a professional ThaiGirl hunter?

If you have a workpermit, with a jobdescription, worded poperly in a way that would cover that undertaking, you'd be okay ... If caught in the act - be prepared to answer some scrutinizing questions, though.

OK I AM SO CONFUSED>>>>>>>>

So if I have been doing the visa runs now for the past 8 months as of october 1 that will end.

So my question is this: I just renewed my visa today it will expire on oct 12 does that mean I can still do 2 more? Or because of all my past visa runs will I already be at the maximum allowed?

Also I have heard I can go to malasia and get a special 1 yr visa or a triple entry 90 day visa will that be allowed?

Can someone recomend a good visa for me to apply for, I am not here working or anything basically just hanging out with my girlfriend enjoying my time. What is the best way now to stay in this country????

PLEASE HELP

Depends where you stay in Thailand. You can take sleep train to Butterworth and ferry over to Penang. You apply for double entry tourist visa, 2000 Baht (200 Ringit), at the Royal Thai Consulate. Pick up your visa next day at 2:00 and take minibus to Hat Yai or sleep one more night in Penang and take sleep train back to your preferred destination the next day.

Result, six months permitted stay, onlyhave to go to a border after three months to activate second visa. And of course, after two months (and five months) you have to extend for 1900 Baht at a local Thai Immigration. 6 months, 6000Baht fees. What are you waiting for? Go buy that ticket, NOW!!

George, can you please ask your immigration connection the following question?

Is one permitted to stay indefinetly on tourist VISAS (not 30 day stamps)? Is the purpose of this to make sure that everyone is scrutinized more closely before being let back in or is the purpose of this to end the ptractice of living in Thailand as a tourist?

It boggles the mind how they can release only partial information when the lives of tens of thousands of people are in the balance.

George has a ""Phuket Gazette" .. (tabloid newspaper) connection via the net .. not an Immigration connection. I suggest you ask them directly yourself and bypass all the "spin doctoring" that newspapers worldwide are famous for.

:o

Solution 1. .. for twits too tight to buy tourist visas .. 90 days Thailand (with 2 border hops) .. go east on bus to Cambodia for 30 days .. continue east on bus to Saigon - Vietnam for 30 days .. jump on bus again and travel north to Laos for 30 days .. travel South to Thailand .. stay 90 days (with 2 border hops) .. repeat process untill dead. Experience new cultures, meet new people, avoid blisters on butt from sitting on Patong/Pattaya/PatPong barstool for too long.

Solution 2 .. Go without one drunken night with bargirl .. use saved money to purchase 2 month tourist visa. Renew tourist visa ad infinitum.

Solution 3 .. Get a job and 1 year working visa.

Edited by keekwai

[Personally I do not understand the excitement of several members this forum caused by the new tourist visa on arrival regulations.

The typical tourist will come to Thailand most probably twice a year in maximum.

“Tourists” who are seeking other activities than normal tourists normally are looking for, should apply that visa type suiting their activities.

I could not agree more. I know a number of people who have made Thailand home and are there on Tourist visas. If you want to stay, get the right visa, just like in any other part of the world.

No more tesco's,big-c,7-11,carrefour's,last weeks announcement, now they won't have customers anyway, lets all <deleted> -off to Sihanookville,and develop Cambodia instead,and you can take your teelac with you.Should improve the once thriving fishing industry-good luck Pattaya Immigration,police,baht-bus,individuals who will all have to get their fishin rods out and earn a living from now on

No more tesco's,big-c,7-11,carrefour's,last weeks announcement, now they won't have customers anyway, lets all <deleted> -off to Sihanookville,and develop Cambodia instead,and you can take your teelac with you.Should improve the once thriving fishing industry-good luck Pattaya Immigration,police,baht-bus,individuals who will all have to get their fishin rods out and earn a living from now on

Right!! .. Go "East" young man. New "Frontier" Cambodia is calling. Bring cash, spurs, whisky and gun. :o

:o I am planning to go to Thailand around the middle of November this year. To spend some time with my gf. I am a web developer in the UK and have a UK customer base. They are happy to keep paying me for the work I am doing into my UK bussiness bank account as I am in Thailand.

So I will be working on websites for my customers in Bangkok living with my gf in our appartment that we rent. My plan is and now maybe was... To stay there with her for 3 months working for my customers and bring money into Thailand and after the 3 months return to the UK for say 1 to 2 months and return for another 3 or maybe upto 6 months and so on....

Does this new law mean at some point I will have to stay out for 3 months. Say after I have been there for 3 months or 3 entrys.

I have noticed this has all been alot of confusion.. But this is a shock for all of us! But any one hear about the bombs that went of in south thailand in the banks and one poor general in the thai army got killed.. Let face it they cant just let an body in any more.. We dont want a land of :D become a land of :D

as much as the new rule upset me . but i am very sure thailand would still progress without any of the money spend or money bring in by local visa run people .

as much as i am a visa runner myself . the mind set is there . we caculated that visa running is the cheapest way - while other visa option had long been out there . in fact few years ago

getting a one years visa is so easy that you can pay like 10,000baht and stay in where you are to get it .. but that way history . those who stay long anough would know .

-

like i said rule and law changes is not alway bad - justneed time to fine tune .

while the money we bring in and the way we spend compare to local thai income had a huge gap ..

there is no sign that thai will suffer if all this money goes else where.

the local thai is 70 million - while we only take up a very very small % of the whole of thailand .

if you look closer most alot of the bussiness run by the so called rich people in phuket and pataya are mostly bars - since the early days when bars and club basically open 24 hour .

till the so called 12 am -1 am close shop - trend we slowly se ethat thailand is tidying up itself . for a new age .

people get smarter , and play by the rule .

and like what many had said .. do your math and see if it worth ..

believe me . i am in a pond of mud here trying to plan my next step -

but this time . with more urgency and mindful that after all thailand is not my country .

as much as i love it so much .

for years i've worked on a consulting basis around Asia and the South Pacific. I've kept an apartment in Bankok which is where i spent the 25% of my time when not working. Some years i entered Thailand up to 40 times. I would always just get the 30 days on arrival. Rarely I'd stay the full 30 days, sometimes just overnight, usually 5 - 14 days at a time.

This has been good for me, I like Thailand and speak the language and have many friends here, BKK is fairly convenient and inexpensive for region travel, and Bangkok has really become my home. It's been pretty good for Thailand as well: I spend quite a bit of money here, and cause no harm.

Now I'm completely confused about what to do.

well - i share the same confusion . i been here for a long time nad love it enough to move my family here and got my father and mother their " O " VISA - in fact my mother just got her " O " visa and is entering thailand on 16th sep .

i been here for many years and learn to love this place .

with the change of rule i got plan more and also look in the long term ..

Not sure why everyone is so surprised. You certainly couldnt just stay in the US forever on a tourist visa. And do any other countries in Asia let someone come unannounced (i.e. without a visa) and stay indefinately? Cambodia and Vietnam sure wouldnt. Neither would China or Burma. I guess you could get on for a while in Malaysia. But it doesnt seem so complicated: If you are a tourist, get the 60 day visa before you come. If you plan to be in and out of the country a few times, get a double or triple entry. If you want to live here, get whatever visa you can get your hands on to do that. Simple.

It seems to me that a lot of confusion may have been caused by the term "visa on arrival." If you show up here with no visa from a Thai embassy or consulate, you may qualify for entry into the Kingdom as a tourist, but you do not get a visa. That's an entry stamp in your passport, not a visa. If it were a visa, it would say "visa" on it.

I read the new regulations as saying that if you have a visa, of whatever sort, the "90 days total, then stay out for 90 days" rule does not apply to you. CMIIAW.

True, the entry stamps are as good as a visa in most respects (in that you are here legally), but now the immigration folks are saying that this quick and easy way to visit Thailand is for genuine tourists only, and has to have a limit. A true tourist can get his touristing done in 90 days, can't he? The new regulations target scofflaws who are absolutely not tourists, and that seems rational.

What is unreasonable, however, is that the new regulations are expected to get rid of the people here who should, under Thai law, have work permits and pay taxes. Those people will get around the law very easily, as has been pointed out on this forum. They will simply abuse a visa, ignore the work permit, and evade taxes. So the whole concept of this change in enforcement is pretty stupid -- IF the idea behind it is to toss out tax evaders masquerading as genuine tourists. It won't work. (What is the real idea behind this new regulation? I don't have a clue.)

BTW, according to Thai law, if you work in Thailand, you must have a work permit. Technically -- and this is never enforced, AFAIK -- that includes any kind of work that people can get paid for. So if you do something here for free, as a volunteer who is totally uncompensated, you are breaking Thai law: you are working. It's not a "compensated employment permit," it's a WORK permit: if you work for free, you prevent somebody from working for money and paying taxes.

One reply in this thread mentioned working for a foreign firm while in Thailand, doing business with Thais and being paid by the overseas firm for that work. My take is that requires a Thai work permit. I could be wrong, of course; and as far as enforcement goes, I feel there is no reason to expect that anyone will be jailed or thrown out for giving informal language instruction to the village children.....

I've done some calculations and I estimate the damage to be about 8 Billion baht yearly to the Thai economy. I feel for you gloaters who think all this stuff is so great. If you have your cash in Thai baht and other Thai investments, I would not want to be you. It won't be long before George Soros is back shorting the shit out of the Thai baht once again. Looks like it'll be a 10th anniversary thing. I can assure that I have no investments here and will just pack up and leave. I'll be back when the dust clears and clean up with an 80 baht to the dollar exchange rate and a crashed housing market. All the gloaters will be living in abject poverty. Sorry to see it come to this but you heard it here 1st. I recommend anyone with cash in thai baht to convert to a western currency asap

OK I AM SO CONFUSED>>>>>>>>

So if I have been doing the visa runs now for the past 8 months as of october 1 that will end.

So my question is this: I just renewed my visa today it will expire on oct 12 does that mean I can still do 2 more? Or because of all my past visa runs will I already be at the maximum allowed?

Also I have heard I can go to malasia and get a special 1 yr visa or a triple entry 90 day visa will that be allowed?

Can someone recomend a good visa for me to apply for, I am not here working or anything basically just hanging out with my girlfriend enjoying my time. What is the best way now to stay in this country????

PLEASE HELP

This depends on why you are here, if working get a letter from your employerl, travel to Australia (15,000 baht on air Asia) and apply for aq Non Immigrant B Visa, with Multiple Re-Entry Permit, you will have a 90 day stay allowed each time, only having to exit every 90 days. Visa is current for 1 year with additional 3 months bonus at the end...

On-arrival visas: 90 days and you’re out!

PHUKET: -- Phuket’s Immigration Chief has confirmed that Thailand will crack down on foreigners working illegally in the country by ending its policy of issuing an unlimited number of consecutive “visas on arrival” – tourist visas that allow the holder to stay a maximum of 15 or 30 days.

The crackdown is intended to stop foreigners – typically bar owners and other small businessmen without work permits – from using the visas to stay in the country indefinitely while working illegally.

Pol Col Bunphot Kongkrachan, Acting Superintendent of Phuket Immigration Office, told the Gazette that, from October 1, onward Immigration checkpoints around the country will limit to three the number of consecutive visas on arrival they will grant a single visitor.

After the third consecutive visa on arrival has expired, the passport holder must leave the country and wait 90 days before being allowed back into Thailand on the same type of visa.

The move effectively limits the length of stay for those entering the country using this visa class to 45 or 90 days.

The 41 countries whose citizens qualify for visas on arrival include Thailand’s top sources of tourists, including almost all Western European countries, the United States, Canada, Australia, Japan, Singapore and many more.

Col Bunphot said that all Immigration chiefs nationwide have been ordered to attend a meeting at Immigration headquarters on September 15, during which the new stricter regulations will be explained in detail.

“I will make a more detailed statement about the new situation within a week of returning from the meeting,” he said.

Suwalai Pinpradab, Director of Tourism Authority of Thailand’s South Region 4 Office in Phuket, downplayed the potential impact of the new rule on Phuket’s all-important tourism industry.

“ I don’t think it will affect tourism revenue in Phuket very much because foreign businessman holding work permits will still be able to work. The only ones who will be affected will be people who are working illegally and prolonging their stays by making visa run after visa run,” she said.

“My concern is about the coming high season. I sympathize with Immigration, which has too few officers. I am afraid that they will be swamped with work and that there will be a slowdown in service [at Immigration checkpoints],” she said.

Executive Visa Run conducts visa runs to Ranong and recently started a service to Penang in Malaysia. A representative there, who requested anonymity, told the Gazette that word of the new regulations had created a great deal of confusion.

“Immigration here in Phuket doesn’t know what going on because they’ve not received any guidelines yet from Bangkok … Yesterday when we made inquiries, nobody there could tell us anything,” he said.

When asked if there were a lot of people making “visa hops” to get new visas on arrival, he said, “Oh, there’s a lot. Really. It’s unbelievable, the amount.”

He added, “I think it will have a huge impact. You listen to all this about how they only want the rich people to stay here. There are a lot of people who stay here on low incomes – and they cause no problems, they just get on with their lives,” he said.

--Phuket Gazette 2006-09-12

OK I am still confused.

I went on the Thai Consulate website (Los Angeles, CA) and next to tourist visa it said "no multiple entry."

I went on the DC Consulate website and it said no such thing. no mention of multiple entries.

I get that with the 30 day visa there's a limit of 3. But is this true for tourist visa (bought in the USA)???

Can I still apply for multiple tourist visas?? (I want 3)

Are multiple entry Tourist Visas Viable as a way to stay in the kingdom?

(Yes I think, this is what I have gathered to be correct from this website..?)

My goal is to travel for an extended period of time (6-9 months) in thailand and SEA

Basically this is what I think I should be doing to facilitate this:

1. go to the consulate.

2. apply for a tourist visa with multiple entries

3. leave thailand every 60 days

4. reenter and use all entries before the original visa expires

Am I on the right track??

any help appreciated....

much thanks.

If the answer is that in order to stay, you would need to form a company to do some token business, then great, we all understand now. Form a bullshit company and get a work permit or leave. Unfortunately there is no clarification from immigration.

Guess the essence of the situation is: Thailand has no room for non-producing hangarounds in the working age ... Who can blame them?

I would think that if you are hanging around spending money and you are not a criminal and you are not stealing work from the Thais, that you would be welcome. But it looks like I'm wrong.

These kinds of posts are really starting to annoy me. Can you please open your eyes? There are a significant number of people living in Thailand who do not seem to qualify for any of the visa options UNLESS they are going to permit endless tourist visas. What visa would you suggest a 40 year old retired American apply for who is not married to a Thai and does not wish to work or do business in Thailand?

Here is one possibility. Get on a plane every 90 days. Fly down to Singapore & get yourself a visa.

Just because you have made the decision to "live" in Thailand does not mean the Government nescessarily will afford you that "right". Put on your thinking cap & see if you can comply with the law.

The question is: Will Thailand allow foreigners to remain in the country on continuos tourist visas? If this will be allowed, then right, there's not really any problem. Just a bigger trip for everyone. BUT if this will be prohibited, then a lot of people have a real problem. The fact that they are putting an end to the continuous 30 day stamps has led many to believe that continuous tourist visas will not be permitted either.

Not sure why everyone is so surprised. You certainly couldnt just stay in the US forever on a tourist visa. And do any other countries in Asia let someone come unannounced (i.e. without a visa) and stay indefinately? Cambodia and Vietnam sure wouldnt. Neither would China or Burma. I guess you could get on for a while in Malaysia. But it doesnt seem so complicated: If you are a tourist, get the 60 day visa before you come. If you plan to be in and out of the country a few times, get a double or triple entry. If you want to live here, get whatever visa you can get your hands on to do that. Simple.

Why do people keep comparing industrialized first world countries with Thailand? People are surprised because Thailand has more than implied that they are happy to allow foreigners to stay here and spend their money. And now there is a sudeen change. SURPRISE!

(And you can get a one year visa for Cambodia by paying $250 or so. Done. No bank statements. No nothing. Do you think they are going to turn you and your cash away?)

Edited by ChiangMaiThai