Profiled And Harrassed By Immigration / Customs?

crawford

Harrassed because you visited Thailand?  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have came back into the States with a dog eared passport full of stamps from Thailand, Cambodia, Kuwait, Iraq, the UAE, Jordan, all the so called “hot spots”, and I NEVER once was asked anything more than to have a nice day as they waved me though. Iraqi immigration is the worst they always want to scam a extra buck off you if you ever do a commercial flight. But then again, I’m not a white guy in his mid 30’s as the forum poster had claimed. I’m Black and I OFTEN get mistaken for some kind of Arab or another. Funny really I always expect to get profiled but I never do.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not a white guy in his mid 30’s as the forum poster had claimed. I’m Black and I OFTEN get mistaken for some kind of Arab or another. Funny really I always expect to get profiled but I never do.

Don't worry, you could have a red, jihad bandana wrapped around your head and be carrying a couple of hand grenades.

It is not politically correct for airport security to bother a black guy!! :o:D:D

QUOTE(changchang @ 2006-09-14 02:33:58)

I like Indians and their atttude. I went there on holiday from Hong Kong, so it was like going from one extreme to the other.

Could you elaborate a bit on the difference between Indian attitude and HK attitude?

Seems likely to land me in a lotta trouble !

Let's say that in general I found Indians to be warm, friendly, welcoming, interesting and interested in getting to know folk from other places.

QUOTE(changchang @ 2006-09-14 02:33:58)

I like Indians and their atttude. I went there on holiday from Hong Kong, so it was like going from one extreme to the other.

Could you elaborate a bit on the difference between Indian attitude and HK attitude?

Seems likely to land me in a lotta trouble !

Let's say that in general I found Indians to be warm, friendly, welcoming, interesting and interested in getting to know folk from other places.

OK, thanks for that. That's interesting. I've been to HK, so I thought I knew what you meant about them, but have never been to India, and have heard different things about India, so wasn't sure what to think.

Wasn't meaning to get you in any trouble! :o

Used to happen to me all the <deleted> time when I used to holiday in Thailand from the U.K. Bag searched, passport taken away, into the office with the good cop/bad cop asking questions they clearly know the answer to already;

Where have you come from?"

"Thailand, like you didnt know already."

"Why Thailand?"

"I like it."

"Where do you live and do you have a criminal record?"

"I live at @@@@@@ and no, I have no criminal recoed as your computer has already confirmed."

I just could not win. The more my [true] story checked out, the more convinced they became I am a criminal masermind.No contriband? Been stopped before and nothing found? Address checks out? Employer can confirm? Nothing on record? Jesus, this guy is good. Bit too convincing, innit?

No fellahs, it is because I have done nothing wrong. Some folks dont smuggle you know.

So how did I put an end to it? Simple. I just stopped trying to look respectable and started wearing the same crap I went to work in. Never a problem after. Funny old world.

I have been harrassed MANY times returning to the US from Southeast Asia. In fact it is hard to remember the last time I was treated properly - actually I'm pretty sure it was under the previous administration.

Well..Hopefully in the next administration, you will be treated like the little prince you should be

I don't have a problem with customs and immigration authorities in the US doing their jobs, and I expect that I will be questioned and even searched once in a while. I do have a problem with rude agents with an attitude, and I have experienced that on a more than a few ocassions. I will be visiting the US again on Monday for 10 days, so might have another story, although I hope not!

I’m not a white guy in his mid 30’s as the forum poster had claimed. I’m Black and I OFTEN get mistaken for some kind of Arab or another. Funny really I always expect to get profiled but I never do.

Don't worry, you could have a red, jihad bandana wrapped around your head and be carrying a couple of hand grenades.

It is not politically correct for airport security to bother a black guy!! :o:D:D

WhoooHooo! It's about time! :D

Been searched about 20% of the time. It's annoying but I got nothing to hide so who cares>?

Well - hmmm.... are you sure you have nothing to hide? Do you know ALL the laws? Do you know how the US defines "child" these days? (anyone under EIGHTEEN). Do you know just how old every girl you've been with was? Because I don't normally card my dates, you know? And apparently consensual sex is now becomming a major crime if it involves a white guy and an Asian girl. At the very least, it's politically incorrect - you're immediately put into the category of "John Karr, freak boy". I don't know. I don't like the way things are going.

It just bothers me because I don't know the game AT ALL. I don't know why they singled me out, why they asked about "girls", and what my answer meant to them. I don't know if they've pegged me as some kind of "sex tourist" they can harrass from now on every time I come back from Asia, etc.

I guess it's just fear of the unknown. I haven't left the country since that time, not really because of that, but I do sort of fear coming back home after my next international trip...

LOL, yes I know how old each one of the girls was I was with. rofl. She's 22 and she's my gf. As I said, I dont care cause I have nothing to hide.

I have came back into the States with a dog eared passport full of stamps from Thailand, Cambodia, Kuwait, Iraq, the UAE, Jordan, all the so called “hot spots”, and I NEVER once was asked anything more than to have a nice day as they waved me though. Iraqi immigration is the worst they always want to scam a extra buck off you if you ever do a commercial flight. But then again, I’m not a white guy in his mid 30’s as the forum poster had claimed. I’m Black and I OFTEN get mistaken for some kind of Arab or another. Funny really I always expect to get profiled but I never do.

Good to hear that, Money shot. You are a commander of respect

I get hassled almost every time I go to the US. I've been pulled out of line many times. They say it's a 'lottery' and it has nothing to do with me. Right, then why don't I ever win the other type of lottery? :-)

A buddy went through LAX this past May and was verbally attacked by a redneck. My buddy thought the guy was going to throw him to the ground and start beating him. He was scared.

After all of this, the guy let him through. Now, what the hel_l does this actually do to protect the US for terrorists? Nothing. Hassling US citizens when they return for a vacation is stupid and totally uncalled for.

So much for the land of the free crap... stupid rednecks.

Returning from the Dominican Republic (Feb 2004), cleared Miami customs/immigration with no search or questions. Returned from Costa Rica (Nov 2004), cleared Phoenix customs/immigration with no search or questions. Returned from Thailand (April 2005), searched at SFO without any abuse or harrassment. Returned from Thailand (Nov2005) cleared customs at SFO and asked - by an immigration officer - where I worked, I pointed to the logo on my carry-on bag as I answered and was waived thru. I'm of Swedish decent and 64 years old. Dressed as a tourist. Going to Thailand again in a few months and expect to be searched again when I return. I'm sure the entries in my Passport will raise some flags.

As someone above stated, where are the other 400 people from his flight. There have been appox 100 responders to the "Customs" question. Mixed reviews. But, what about the other 400 people ...

400 times 100 flights = 40,000 passengers. Guess 10 percent searched - approx 36,000 clear customs/immigration.

Someone else commented about the number of illegals crossing the USA border everyday. Thats the outrage, not a few people searched at our airports. Police State ? hardly the case

Sure could use the 'immigration officers' at USA/Mexican border.

wallyc