Possible to get visa exemption stamp first then multi tourist visa stamp 1 month later?

Hi

I've been researching this query the past couple of days and see there have been other people in similar situations but haven't seen a definate answer.

Basically, i plan on applying for the multi tourist thai visa which i understand gets me 60 days (+30 extention) entry 3 times?

I plan on arriving in Bangkok early October to stay roughly 2 weeks then flyng to Bali, Indonesia for a 2 week stay, then fly back to Thailand where i plan on staying for a few months.

My question is, is it possible to receive my 30 day exemption stamp at the airport on arrival, leave after 14 days , then upon arrival again in thailand get my multi tourist visa stamped or will they activate it on my 1st arrival?

I read that if i leave thailand earlier than the 60 days under the tourist visa the remaining days will be wiped, therefore a 30 day visa exemtion stamp would suit better on my 1st part of the trip.

If anyone has any 1st hand expierence with this please advise on what i should do

I've been to Thailand 3 times before but never stayed more than 30 days at a time so i'm in-experienced when it comes to visas.

There is no multiple tourist visa, they come with a number of entries they allow (single, double or triple).

If immigration will allow you to first use a visa exempt entry depends totally on the officer you will meet. There is no guarantee they will allow it.

You could get a re-entry permit, allowing you to leave and return during your 60 day entry. It will not give you any extra day. in essence arrive July 1 and are allowed to stay till September 1, with a re-entry permit you could leave on July 15 and return on July 29 and still be allowed to stay till September 1 without the need to use another tourist visa entry. And you could still get the 30 day extension.

Yes, there are no rules against doing that. I am in the same situation and am going back to Penang Consulate to pick up my Single Entry Tourist Visa tomorrow (fingers crossed).

As said above, it depends on who you meet, with some consulates having a history of being much more difficult than others. As it is your first time there shouldn't be any issue if you are lucky to meet reasonable officers (unlike those in KL).

Thanks very much for both replies, triple entry visa is what i meant btw, sorry for the confusion.

I never knew a re-entry permit existed, i've just read up about it seens to be the best option for me so i'll look into applying for that also.

Thanks again :)

Thanks very much for both replies, triple entry visa is what i meant btw, sorry for the confusion.

I never knew a re-entry permit existed, i've just read up about it seens to be the best option for me so i'll look into applying for that also.

Thanks again smile.png

Take CARE !

Make sure to note the "enter before" (expiry) date on the visa !

All three entries permitted by the visa MUST be made prior to the visa expiring

Edited by nzexpat

Basically, i plan on applying for the multi tourist thai visa which i understand gets me 60 days (+30 extention) entry 3 times?

Depending on whether it's 1, 2 or 3 entries, the visa will only be valid for 3 to 6 months from the date the embassy or consulate issued it. In other words, your last entry on the visa must be done before the 3 or 6 months is up. So assuming you get the visa a week before departure and assuming you get away with a visa exempt entry on your first visit and then spend some time out of the country, your first entry on the visa would be a month or more after it was issued. You will probably be unable to get 2 or 3 times the full (60 + 30 days) potential stays before the visa expires.

If you manage to make your final 2nd or 3rd entry on the visa just before it expires, you will still get that 60 + 30 day permission to stay even though the visa will soon expire, but you must make that final border crossing before the "use by" date printed on the embassy issued visa sticker.