I Called Immigration And Got Some Answers!

Bangkok Phil asked me to post this here as well so here goes:

After surfing the immigration website, I called immigration in Bangkok and talked to a very helpful and pleasant officer who spoke English. She stated a few things that will hopefully clarify some rumors and make people feel better:

1. October 1st will be considered the start date of when the government starts counting people's stay in the country on 30 days stamps. In other words, the government is not going to consider your previous stamps as counting towards this 90 day maximum. She said that potentially I could keep getting border stamps up until about December BUT it would be at the discretion of the border official. This makes sense to me because it gives people time to adjust to the new changes. My guess is they will post notices at the border crossings to give people time to apply for work permits, marriage visas and the like.

2. She said I should go get a proper visa right away. She stated that if I did continue after October on 30 day stamps that once I came to the end of my 90 day stay that I would either have to stay out of Thailand for 90 days before I could get another free 30 day stamp OR fly out of the country to get a visa at a Thai embassy before flying back once again to Thailand. She said that I could continue doing this as long as I had a proper Tourist or Non Immigrant Visa that were procured at a Thai embassy. She said that the new rule was to stop people from making too many border crossings at a time but not stop people from coming to Thailand.

3. She said that I could get a 30 day stamp at the border and I could get it changed into a Non-Immigrant Visa in Bangkok if there were at least 21 days left on it (and I had all the proper paperwork). So no need to fly to Penang or home for those of us who can get the required documents.

4. She said that her section will be having meetings this week and that I should call again next week to see if anything has changed.

From my understanding, the government is not trying to keep anyone out of the country. The maximum 90 days rule only seems to apply for the free 30 day stamps one gets at the border. If you leave Thailand and go to an embassy to get a visa, you can still come back again and again as long as you have a proper visa. But will they change that and limit the amount of times you can apply for a visa in an embassy? We will have to wait and see.

If anyone has called immigration or has information from a reliable source, please add it below.

Edited by my benny rai

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok Phil asked me to post this here as well so here goes:

After surfing the immigration website, I called immigration in Bangkok and talked to a very helpful and pleasant officer who spoke English. She stated a few things that will hopefully clarify some rumors and make people feel better:

1. October 1st will be considered the start date of when the government starts counting people's stay in the country on 30 days stamps. In other words, the government is not going to consider your previous stamps as counting towards this 90 day maximum. She said that potentially I could keep getting border stamps up until about December BUT it would be at the discretion of the border official. This makes sense to me because it gives people time to adjust to the new changes. My guess is they will post notices at the border crossings to give people time to apply for work permits, marriage visas and the like. If this is correct then this is very good news, it also removes the issue in which people are being penalised retrospectively for doing something 'border-runs', which was, and is, 100% legal.

2. She said I should go get a proper visa right away. She stated that if I did continue after October on 30 day stamps that once I came to the end of my 90 day stay that I would either have to stay out of Thailand for 90 days before I could get another free 30 day stamp OR fly out of the country to get a visa at a Thai embassy before flying back once again to Thailand. She said that I could continue doing this as long as I had a proper Tourist or Non Immigrant Visa that were procured at a Thai embassy. She said that the new rule was to stop people from making too many border crossings at a time but not stop people from coming to Thailand. She is being a tad disengenous here, there is some circumstantial evidence that the embassies are going to tighten up on issuing 'yet another tourist visa' without satisfying themselves that the applicant is, for example, not working. In otherwords expect questions

3. She said that I could get a 30 day stamp at the border and I could get it changed into a Non-Immigrant Visa in Bangkok if there were at least 21 days left on it (and I had all the proper paperwork). So no need to fly to Penang or home for those of us who can get the required documents. My understanding was that this was 'possible' but as rare as hens teeth. Also the caveat 'proper paperwork' is to be noted.

4. She said that her section will be having meetings this week and that I should call again next week to see if anything has changed.

From my understanding, the government is not trying to keep anyone out of the country. The maximum 90 days rule only seems to apply for the free 30 day stamps one gets at the border. If you leave Thailand and go to an embassy to get a visa, you can still come back again and again as long as you have a proper visa. But will they change that and limit the amount of times you can apply for a visa in an embassy? We will have to wait and see.

If anyone has called immigration or has information from a reliable source, please add it below.

To answer your question, N47HAN, I called immigration because I had read that here and I was concerned. I told the officer that I had many stamps already and she assurred me that there would not be a retroactive count, but that the count would begin from October. This makes sense because the governement realizes many people live here and have become accustomed to these border runs. It is only logical that they government would be nice enough to give peple time to work out getting a work permit or the proper visa.

I am not trying to be a jerk by contradicting Sunbelt; I am simply relaying what I have been told in hopes that it will give people some piece of mind.

:o

Just to add that what lady said is entirely in accordance with the changes as suggested, except about the retrospective count.

It strikes me as bizarre, even for here, if having made 30 day runs problematic, that they will make 90 day runs to embassies easier! The system I expect is that when an applicant asks for a tourist visa and has earlier tourist or other Thai visa entries in their passport, questions will be asked, and it is possible that the embassy will be reticent in providing the visa unless and until they are satisifed that the applicant can't or shouldn't apply for a different visa type. E.g. after questioning about 'the familiy' etc. here, they may advise that the applicant should look to putting togther an application for an O type visa 'next time' and that this advise could be centrally recoired.

However, it will be interesting to see how the key point plays out and since there is still no official notice we all have to wait and see.

Regards and thanks for your time and effort.

/edit typo///

Edited by A_Traveller

To answer your question, N47HAN, I called immigration because I had read that here and I was concerned. I told the officer that I had many stamps already and she assurred me that there would not be a retroactive count, but that the count would begin from October. This makes sense because the governement realizes many people live here and have become accustomed to these border runs. It is only logical that they government would be nice enough to give peple time to work out getting a work permit or the proper visa.

I am not trying to be a jerk by contradicting Sunbelt; I am simply relaying what I have been told in hopes that it will give people some piece of mind.

We heard the same this afternoon, that the immigration met late yesterday and now have decided as far as Oct 1st being the start. Even if you had a 30 day entry on Sept 30th with a exit of Oct 29th, it won't count against your quota.

HOWEVER, I've requested something in writing as it seems everyday, a new direction. Not to say that won't even stop the change.

But as we said in a post this afternoon, good news may be coming out. Still waiting for the written confirmation as I’m sure everyone is feeling like a rag doll now, like us.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Sun Belt

Have stated recently that the stamps accrued before Oct 1st DO count in the 90 day rule ????

No exceptions........ ?

Let's ask Sunbelt again for the same question. I was told by the border police today that they still didn't know yet, to count before or after Oct 1, I am very interested to see that paper Sunbelt got from Suanplu yesterday.

Sun Belt

Have stated recently that the stamps accrued before Oct 1st DO count in the 90 day rule ????

No exceptions........ ?

Let's ask Sunbelt again for the same question. I was told by the border police today that they still didn't know yet, to count before or after Oct 1, I am very interested to see that paper Sunbelt got from Suanplu yesterday.

In that written paper, it says nothing about the start date of Oct 1 being the clock starting at zero.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Sun Belt

No exceptions........ ?

In that written paper, it says nothing about the start date of Oct 1 being the clock starting at zero.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

So, we've been listening to your imagination for last 2 days. But I am still interested to see that paper. Edited by Visaman

Sun Belt

No exceptions........ ?

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

So, we've been listening to your imagination for last 2 days.

To be fair here, my understanding is that there have been 'discussions' about the implementation over the last few days. It has been suggested that since the news 'escaped' in the Post and the wire service report that has been some 'running to stay still'.

To me a good example of this was the change re existing 30Miliion Visas status. I wonder if IB is being given advice that retrospective changes are unwise.

As many have been saying, lets wait for the official note, which it is now expected at week end.

Regards

We heard the same this afternoon, that the immigration met late yesterday and now have decided as far as Oct 1st being the start. Even if you had a 30 day entry on Sept 30th with a exit of Oct 29th, it won't count against your quota.

HOWEVER, I've requested something in writing as it seems everyday, a new direction. Not to say that won't even stop the change.

But as we said in a post this afternoon, good news may be coming out. Still waiting for the written confirmation as I’m sure everyone is feeling like a rag doll now, like us.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Greg and the rest of the folks at Sunbelt!

Thanks soooo much! You have been very helpful with a dearth of vague information so far! You guys are to be commended!

:D

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Greg and the rest of the folks at Sunbelt!

Thanks soooo much! You have been very helpful with a dearth of vague information so far! You guys are to be commended!

Nice post JD. :o

I think that when it comes out in writing it will be easier, rather than everybody getting a different or changed information from "an officer" that they called.Who knows, it all might officially change again,TIT.

So, we've been listening to your imagination for last 2 days. But I am still interested to see that paper.

:o My imagination. Yeah right! LOL.

If you remember several years ago, the 2:00 closing of bars and they were going to make all bars close at midnight on Sept 1st. Then at the last moment, it got pushed back to stay at 2 a.m. for another couple months.

Then one day it wasn't 2:00 or midnight but 1 a.m.

This is the same as where we are, you get a new version with rules changes and who you talk to. I guarantee if you call Immigration some officers will tell you the quota starts before Oct 1st and others will say after.

This new news came from a high source and its good news, as it lets visa runners time to get the visa situation straighten out, let’s hope it sticks.

Here’s another thing, even if the official news is confirmed. It still will come down to the officer’s discretion at the airport or border. Just like the land situation, you can count on it happening.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

This new news came from a high source and its good news, as it lets visa runners time to get the visa situation straighten out, let’s hope it sticks.

Here’s another thing, even if the official news is confirmed. It still will come down to the officer’s discretion at the airport or border. Just like the land situation, you can count on it happening.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

So, there is no official news so far, why you made us shitting our pants then....

I would suggest that there are many hopeful hearts reading this new information.

So October 1st is to be 'Day 1' of the 3 X 30 day visa stamp rule?

I would say get your 30 day stamp before October 1st: then sit back and see what happens.

It would not surprise me in the least if some immigration officers on land borders use their 'power' to prevent visa runners presenting after October 1st with a passport full of 30 day visa stamps from the last three years.

I think the message is clear: 30 day stamps are losing their charm: time to get tourist/O visas from embassies in other countries.

Why hang-on with uncertainty and the possible doom of being starnded forever in 'no mans land' like that movie, where a guy spent 20 years in a Paris airport, except here you would be stranded on Poi Pet bridge or with a long-necked Myanmar tribal people?

So, there is no official news so far, why you made us shitting our pants then....

Knowledge is power. A country can change the rules at any time.

Sunbelt is spending a lot of time, and energy, to keep us informed to the best of their ability and knowledge.

They are well suited to interpret the info, BUT Thailands politicians can always change it.

Good Job Sunbelt, thanks for all your efforts

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

This started with the NEWS .... not Sunbelt ... and if you read what Sunbelt said .. it was the opposit of reactionary

Can you imagine what would happen if they do look at entries retrospectively.

I can see a scenario where somebody who hasn't heard about this does a quick border run to Mae Sot exits on his third VOA then is refused entry back into Thailand.

I think you are only allowed to enter Burma for 24hrs there. There would be no chance of making it out of Burma to a third country in that time.

That really would be squeaky bum time as SAF would say.

A resonable guess would be that the confusion will remain long after Oct. 1. - not the least among the officers at the various border points ... By being among the informed, the readers of this forum have a chance not to be among the guinea pigs who'll be the first to experience how rules are applied at the various borderpoints.

I don't believe there was a high source, and I don't believe there was a written paper either, all I trust are the facts, not the imaginations. I talk to the border almost everyday, I still don't know what they are going to do after Oct 1st. Sunbelt, hopefully you can talk to them as often as I do.

Edited by Visaman

Sorry but we are only reporting the updates from Immigration the best we can. Everything is from someone in Immigration who is a high source.

That news which seems old now but is updated... investment visas are no longer valid for new applicants after Oct 1st but existing investment visa holders will be still valid forever. They are accepting applications up to Oct 1st.

The other news is... three 30 day stamps or 15 day stamps are allowed in a 6 month period. Once you have more than three stamps in this period, you must get a visa. Oct 1st everyone starts with zero stamps and have three stamps quota for the next six months.

Lets see what tomorrow brings.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Now I know what they mean by “Don’t kill the messenger"

If you look back on what we reported, such as the investment visa, no longer being valid after Oct 1st. No one still has reported it even in the newspaper. This was important to get out, as soon as we heard it.

As far as the visa trips…No one as far as I know has stated it’s not three entries in a six month period but three months.

Also no one other than us, has stated one hour stay in Thailand still counts as 30 days.

What news has changed, existing investment visas will be grandfathered in and the clock starts at zero on Oct 1st.

We are just trying to help as much as we can.

I don't believe there was a high source, and I don't believe there was a written paper either, all I trust are the facts, not the imaginations. I talk to the border almost everyday, I still don't know what they are going to do after Oct 1st. Sunbelt, hopefully you can talk to them as often as I do.

Come to our office then. You pay for lunch if I show it to you with the government seal and it says three entries in a six month period. Deal?

Otherwise you can say we are full of imaginations :o

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

:o my god this is doin my head in !

do i do this? ... do i do that? ...it changes by the hour lol

what shall i do ?

do i get my usual 30 day stamp next monday or go and get a 90 day tourist visa ?

if i get a tourist visa on sept 18 then i will have to leave thailand before christmas

but if i can do a 30 day visa run next monday .......and then im allowed to go and get a 90 day tourist visa on or before october 18 .... it would mean i can stay until the new year which would be great

also ... are they now saying that so long as i have a tourist visa then its possible i will be able to renew it ?

im so ruddy confused you wouldnt beleive it !

btw .. i dont work here .. im under 50 ... im with my english wife .... i wanted to stay another year and have the money too

i honestly did not know visa runs were frowned upon?...nobody have ever said anything to me in my previous 10 runs .... i wish they had

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

VISAMAN

Take a look around

its everywhere,

On-arrival visas: 90 days and you’re out!

PHUKET: Phuket’s Immigration Chief has confirmed that Thailand will crack down on foreigners working illegally in the country by ending its policy of issuing an unlimited number of consecutive “visas on arrival” – tourist visas that allow the holder to stay a maximum of 15 or 30 days.

The crackdown is intended to stop foreigners – typically bar owners and other small businessmen without work permits – from using the visas to stay in the country indefinitely while working illegally.

Pol Col Bunphot Kongkrachan, Acting Superintendent of the Phuket Immigration Office, told the Gazette that from October 1 onward, Immigration checkpoints around the country will limit to three the number of consecutive visas on arrival they will grant a single visitor.

After the third consecutive visa on arrival has expired, the passport holder must leave the country and wait 90 days before being allowed back into Thailand on that type of visa.

The move effectively limits the length of stay for those entering the country with this visa class to 45 or 90 days.

This is driving me nuts also - Surely it is not hard to agree and decide on a new policy and then issue that directive to all departments? What sort of messed up system is this when you can phone one place and be told before Oct1st, then phone another and be told after? And if anyone tells me 'TiT' I will give you a cyber slap.

Sunbelt - thanks very much for the time and effort.