Undeveloped park area on Thonburi side of river?

dddave

I remember reading about a large, undeveloped natural park area on the Thonbury side of the Chao Phraya. It is supposed to have pleasant walking trails and a quiet atmosphere.

Can anybody tell me the name of this area and how to get there from Central Bangkok? Is access from one of the new BTS stations on that side of the river easy?

It would be great to know about this park if it does indeed exist - hope someone can respond.

Benjakitti Park
  • Opening Hours: 05:00 - 20:00 daily
  • Location: Lake Ratchada, Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre
  • MRT: Queen Sirikit National Convention Center
  • BTS: Asok
  • How to get there: From BTS (exit 4), walk about 5 minutes towards Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre. If you take the MRT, walk towards Asok-Montri for about 5 minutes.
Chatuchak Park
  • Opening Hours: 04:30 - 21:00 daily
  • MRT: Chatuchak Park
  • BTS: Mo Chit
  • How to get there: Both the BTS Skytrain and MRT Subway drop you right in front of the park.
King Rama IX Park
  • Opening Hours: 5:00 - 18:00 daily
  • How to get there: The nearest BTS Station is On Nut - from here, continue on taxi.
Lumpini Park
  • Opening Hours: 04:30 - 21:00
  • MRT: Silom, Lumphini
  • BTS: BTS: Saladaeng
  • How to get there: MRT Subway Silom or Lumphini Stations will drop you right opposite the park.
Queen Sirikit Park
  • Opening Hours: 5:00 - 18:00 daily
  • MRT: Chatuchak Park, Phahon Yothin
  • How to get there: From BTS or MRT (Chatuchak Park), head towards Chatuchak Weekend Market, turn right at Kampangphet 3 Rd., and keep walking (about 10 min.) until you reach Children's Discovery Museum (the park is located in the same area).
Rama IX Park
  • Address: Suan Luang Rama 9, Sukumvit 103 Road (Udom Suk)
  • Tel: +66 (0)2 32813856
  • Price Range: Entrance 10 Baht
Romaneenart Park
  • Opening Hours: 5:00 - 21:00 daily
  • How to get there: Embark the Charo Phraya Express Boat to Memorial Bridge pier, then walk up Chakraphet Road.
Rot Fai Park
  • Opening Hours: 04:30 - 21:00 daily
  • MRT: Chatuchak Park
  • How to get there: From BTS or MRT (Chatuchak Park), head towards Chatuchak Weekend Market, turn right at Kampangphet 3 Rd, and keep walking pass Queen Sirikit Park until you almost reach the end.
  • Sanam Luang Park (The Royal Field)
    • Location: Rattanakosin Island (near Khao San Road and the Grand Palace
    • How to get there: Either take a taxi or embark the Chao Phraya Express Boat to Maharaj or Chang Pier.
    Santichaiprakarn Park
    • Opening Hours: 5:00 - 22:00 daily
    • How to get there: Embark the Chao Phraya Express Boat to Phra Athit Pier (N13), or take a taxi.
    Santiphap Park
    • Opening Hours: 5:00 - 21:00 daily
    • Location: Between Ratchawithi Road and Rang Nam Road, Ratchathewi
    • BTS: Victory Monument
    • How to get there: From BTS Skytrain Victory Monument Station (Exit 4), turn right at the Victory Monument and keep walking for about five minutes and the park is on your right.

Yes: Bang Krachao

We spent a day in the area a while ago.

You can cross the river in a tiny regular boat for about 10 baht from north Khlong Toey (Ta Ruea Kham Fa).

Then rent a cheap bicycle on the opposite pier.

You don't have to be restricted to the park either. There's a floating market not far away.

It's not actually a Park, it's a relatively undeveloped are called "Bang Krachao".

http://www.bunchofbackpackers.com/need-escape-busy-bangkok-visit-bang-krachao-island/

Patrick

I believe you are looking for Bang Krachao,

here another Link about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/16/travel/escaping-to-bangkoks-green-lung.html?_r=0

but there are also a few parks on Thonburi Side, like:

The Princess Mother Memorial Park:

http://www.theprincessmothermemorialpark.org/home.php

for english : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Mother_Memorial_Park

Thonburirom Park:

http://www2.kmutt.ac.th/eng/CUR_STU/cur_garden.html

http://www.soidb.com/bangkok/park/thonburirom-park.html

Central Park (behind Central Rama2 Rd.)

http://www.soidb.com/bangkok/park/central-park.html

http://www.soidb.com/bangkok/park/map.html?nk=central-park

I think it is known officially as the Sri Nakhon Khuean Khan Park and Botanical Garden and it is actually in Samat Prakan province. Absolutly amazing place although there is still a lot left i haven't explored. You can cross the Chao Phraya river in a ferry which in itself is quite an adventure or come in from the western side which is the way i normaly use.
I also understand it has a Thai name which translates into something like "the pigs bladder " - because of it shape .
In the built up area it is like going to a small rural village up-country,
A part of me would like to keep it a secret so it doesn't become tourist orientated and developed but it such an amazing part of the Greater Bangkok area that it deserves to be seen.

I think it is known officially as the Sri Nakhon Khuean Khan Park and Botanical Garden and it is actually in Samat Prakan province. Absolutly amazing place although there is still a lot left i haven't explored. You can cross the Chao Phraya river in a ferry which in itself is quite an adventure or come in from the western side which is the way i normaly use.
I also understand it has a Thai name which translates into something like "the pigs bladder " - because of it shape .
A part of me would like to keep it a secret so it doesn't become tourist orientated and developed but it such an amazing part of the Greater Bangkok area that it deserves to be seen.

Can you detail just how you get to the ferry going there. Another poster mentioned departing from Klong Toey but that is a very large area. Some specific information would be really appreciated.

Can you detail just how you get to the ferry going there. Another poster mentioned departing from Klong Toey but that is a very large area. Some specific information would be really appreciated.

Like i said i have only come into it from the land side but from trip advisor says "Sri Nakhon Khuean Khan Park and botanical garden located at the bank of Chao Praya river, opposite Bangkok River Port. How to get there: take taxi form Phrakanong BTS station to ferry near port. Cross the river by boat."

Edited by xen

If you're even slightly familiar with the city getting there is a piece of cake and costs next to nothing.

DANGER ZONE: Below, a cyclist in heavy traffic during Bangkok’s morning rush hour.

Follow Ratchadaphisek Road as far as you can to the river, turning left at Tha Rua Road or alternatively go all the way to the Shell depot and walk your bike through a village to the main Klong Toey Port road, Kasem Rat Road.

At the entrance to the port, follow the lane next to the temple and you will come to a pier where a 20-baht ticket will take you and your bike on a five-minute cruise in a flat-bottom boat to the island. The boat people are all wiry and strong and will easily lift your bicycle on and off the vessel if you are struggling with sea legs or looking after youngsters. Rusty but reliable rental bikes can be had on Bang Krachao for about 100 baht for the day.