car rental in chiang mai.

thomas2969

I always worry that cheap might be expensive if I get ripped off and I always rent from western based international companies. They have full insurance available. There are some at the airport and others in town. You can make a reservation online after doing a little look at availability and pricing. I rent from Hertz or Avis in Bangkok and move out from there but I recall that there are several at the CM airport. I think Budget is there.

Have a good trip.

I would not drive in Chiangmai. If your in the city just take a songteaw around for 20 baht. If your going outside the city and can drive on the left side like they do in England you will be fine. If you are from the USA you may have some challenges. Make sure you get the best full insurance at the rental company. Also, check with your credit card company. If you use your credit card they may also have an insurance program already paid because you have a member card. AMEX is great.

You might find it better to hire sorngtau for a day as they know their way about. Say 1200 - 1400 bht a day and give them a list of where you want to go. No parking or driving problems.

I posted Top North - mad cow disease must have set in! I meant North Wheels

http://www.northwheels.com/

As others have posted get good insurance - I pay with my credit card which gives excellent cover with genuine hire companies. ( I am required to have an International license to be covered by this insurance - backed by Zurich).

I once used Budget rent a car on a one-way rental (for a small additional cost) from Pattaya to Chiang Mai. I was very pleased and impressed with the no fuss way they inspected the brand new car when they delivered it to my condominium in the evening and then inspected it again when they came to my destination in Chiang Mai to collect it and again carried out a thorough but no messing around inspection for scratches and dents. They quickly gave a clean bill of health and they took it away. Didn't try to pin anything on me.

Excellent service in my opinion

Edited by Asiantravel