Savannakhete by Train for Visa

Hello,

I see many threads on going to the Savannakhete consulate but has anyone done it by taking the overnight train from BKK to Ubon Ratchatahni? Doing this you arrive at 6:15 AM in Ubon R which appears to be a couple of hours from Savannakhete. Has anyone done this and gotten to the consulate by 11:00 AM to turn in passport in time for processing? I prefer train over bus.

Thanks!

I am not sure you would be able to make it to Savannakhet by 11 am to do the application but you could certainly try.

The trains arrival time would be important and from personal experience they often arrive late.

You have to go from the train station to the bus station on the other side of town. You could take a taxi and it would take about 15 minutes.

I would say that 3 hours for the bus or van to Mukdahan would best to plan on.

After you get the bus station in Mukdahan you would need to get the next bus to Savannakhet that would get you across the bridge. It timing was wrong that could be a 45 minute wait.

• Like 1

From BKK bus is best way as the transition & timing is perfect (late evening from bangkok & early morning right at mukdahan bus station so you hop straight on border bus) .

I was not keen on tour buses myself but the rio-et tour to mukdahan is very good from my experience & simplest/smoothest option.

Unless you are going to Savannaket for a visa related to marriage - you would be much better off taking the train direct to Nong Khai (north of Udon Thani) .... not to Ubon Rachathani ...

Cross over into Laos at Nong Khai -- process in - go to Vientiane - and the Thai Embassy there.

The evening train / night train from any station in Bkk will get you to Nong Khai in the early morning. Vientiane is less than 30 kilometers from Nong Khai.

Unless you are going to Savannaket for a visa related to marriage - you would be much better off taking the train direct to Nong Khai (north of Udon Thani) .... not to Ubon Rachathani ...

Cross over into Laos at Nong Khai -- process in - go to Vientiane - and the Thai Embassy there.

The evening train / night train from any station in Bkk will get you to Nong Khai in the early morning. Vientiane is less than 30 kilometers from Nong Khai.

You didn't mention the 250 people waiting in line for the Thai embassy in Vientiane.....

Train sleeper service is my preferred form of travel in Thailand, but relying on the trains when doing a visa run is very risky. If you want to live dangerously, the express to Nong Khai with scheduled arrival at 07:45 am will mostly be OK. Be aware, though, that the train will sometimes arrive too late, so do not do this on a Thursday. The rapid with scheduled arrival at 09:35 am, would be ridiculously risky.

For the same reason, I would only do the train via Ubon to Savannakhet if prepared for the possibility of an extra night in Mukdahan or Savannakhet. If the train arrives in Ubon after 07:30 am, it is definitely necessary to take a taxi to the Friendship Bridge. If the train arrives after 08:15 am, give up on getting to Savannakhet in time for visa application that day. Even by taxi, it takes at least 90 minutes to the bridge.

Unless there a particular reason for it I see not reason to do it in rush. Just do the traveling the day before. One extra night in a hotel does not cost much.

There is a special express train that leaves Bangkok at 5:45 am and arrives here at 2 pm. Then an an easy trip to Mukdahan on then to Savannakhet if you get to the bridge by 6 pm.

The best is to take a night bus (AND NOT FORGET EARPLUGS !), on the way in so you are sure to arrive on time.

Pluses : Coaches are now very comfortable, with large seats and plenty of legroom and cheap.

Minuses: People are playing with their phones all night and without earplugs you cannot sleep, also the driving could be a dangerous affair.

And take a train for the return.

Edited by Kitsune