Where to renew motorcycle registration?

konisaan

I don't know if there is more than one location you can do this in Chiang Mai. However I seem to remember going to one location with a friend that was about 2 km south-west of the moat somewhere in the general area of the Holiday Inn? That would be reasonably close to where I am.

Yep its called the tax office i believe it is located as you said right near the holiday inn here:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/18%C2%B046'01.3%22N+99%C2%B000'20.5%22E/@18.767036,99.005698,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Yeah, that's the one I would prefer to go to, but I can't get the map link to work. I suppose I could ride down to the Holiday Inn and ask a few people for directions.

Dont worry..... I think there is a problem with google maps via a link at the moment. If I go directly to Google maps then there isnt a problem. However going there via links or attachments causes my laptop to continuously scroll over on the map site. Damn annoying and I cant figure why thats happening. Its only started to do that in the last week.

Weird!

Is there compulsory insurance that has to be paid for the bike and if so can that be taken care of at the Tax Office?

Unfortunately I'm ignorant about the whole process. The scooter I'm renewing the tax on belongs to a friend who is away. I don't know if there is anything I need to take apart from the green book.

I seem to remember that the first thing you do is pay insurance then registration.

All very quick. They will no doubt do a rubbing of the engine number.

This place off of Nimmanhaemin Road on Soi 15 (left side) does both motorcycle & car registration renewals...

Just park right by that white sign and show your blue book to the guy at the table with a computer...

Takes about 10 minutes for emission test and you pick up the sticker the next day

post-23568-0-18546800-1434622050_thumb.p

Edited by sfokevin

To go to The Land Transport Office Office you are talking; coming from Chiangmai-Changklan area, cross the bridge over Ping River and pass in between the Holiday Inn and the Rajavej Hospital .

Arriving at the T-Intersection traffic light, turn left and a few meter on you right is the LTO where you can renew you motorcycle tax . You can also buy the PRB compulsory insurance there, about 324 for PRB insurance and 100 B for tax fee.

You may notice a drive-in window for people renewing car tax.

Just bring your friend<s green book and pay the fees.

If the motorcycle in over 5 year old you go first to any place the has the Yellow and blue cog sign for inspection. Normally 65 Bahts for a motorcycle.

Check the green book and you can see how many year the tax was paid.

Best way to do this is to bring it to a shop the Issues Por Ror Bor (the vehicle insurance document you need to get before renewing vehicle registration. Usually shops that make the vehicle inspection (say if your vehicle is more than 5 years old) will do this. They will do it for you for a small fee. You can get it back in a few days.

Edited by toybits

Since I just did the same a few days ago I think I can still remember the procedure.

Going towards Nong Hoi / Holiday Inn from Nawarat bridge, on the same road that the old Duke's and Rimping is. Continue on that road for about 3-4km. 10 meters before the traffic light that is before Holiday there is a government office. And 5 meters before this office, there is a garage that checks your motorcycle if it is more than X years old (perhaps more than five, as toybits says?). So stop at that garage with your bike first and give them your green book. They'll do a small check while you wait for a few minutes, you pay 60B or so, and they give you back your green book with a paper from them.

Next go 5m up the road to the government office, and on the left side of the building entrance there is a small office where they sell the mandatory insurance. Get a queue number from them. When they call your number, give them your green book and paper and pay for the insurance. Next go in the main entrance, show the person giving out queue numbers your book and papers, get a queue number, and finally get a new sticker after paying at the counter after your number is called.

It all takes about 15-30 minutes normally.