Non-O Visa Run Report, Savannakhet, Laos

They have apparently starting doing fly/ride again via Sakon Nakhon. When they first stared doing them the did them vis both airports but then dropped Sakhon Nakon.

I was just going by info I posted a link to from Nok's website.

• 4 weeks later...

Both nok air and air asia will bring you to Mukdahan from Ubon ratchatani.

And actually I was thinking that a letter from wife asking to grant you a visa was needed ?

But you said only wife ID and wife property book ?

What if she doesn't have ?

Thanks.

I can't confirm but it's listed as a requirement. It's very likely they won't issue you a Non-O visa if you don't have the ID & Property book.

And actually I was thinking that a letter from wife asking to grant you a visa was needed ?

Thanks.

Your wife must have an ID card and a house book registry. The house book does not have to be for a home of her own it can be a family members or even a friends that she is listed in.

Thanks.

Your wife must have an ID card and a house book registry. The house book does not have to be for a home of her own it can be a family members or even a friends that she is listed in.

Or a rented house will be accepted if nothing changed.

I just went over the border at Savannakhet to apply for my new Thai Visa (based on marriage to a Thai) tmrw morning. At the Laos border the Laos Immigration officer didn't keep the arrival card portion, maybe the immigration officer forgot, or maybe not ;) I only noticed this when I sat in the Taxi to the Hotel. I went immediately back to the border and gave the immigration officer checking the passports the "arrival" slip, nothing was said.

After applying for the Visa at the Thai Consulate tmrw morning I will report back.

Update.

I can confirm that (14th July 2015) when applying for a Multiple Non-O (based on Marriage to a Thai) at the Savannakhet Thai consulate the following is still the required paperwork

Paperwork Required: Visa form, 2 passport size photos, copy of marriage certificate, original marriage certificate, copy of passport Id page, copy of wife's property book, copy of wife's ID card.

Please note: They just glanced at the original marriage certificate and then gave it back.

And the cost is still 5000 THB.

There was one guy, who didn't have his original marriage certificate with him but he showed a recent original of the KR 2 and that was also accepted.

Edited by MJCM

Hi Guys just a couple of queries sorry if its old hat and been asked a hundred times before..Once this 1 year extension to the non o marriage visa is in place,can this be reapplied for in the same way once the year is up,for another year?ie.another visit to nearest immigration office(can this be any immigration office?) .or is this a once only event and a new non o required first?................

Question 2 does one then have to do a 90 day report (by email?) to register current address?

Question 3 is it permitted to drive (for a Thai...I was thinking of asking the brother in Law to drive me.)to Savannakhet from Burriram if I had to do the new visa application or would it not be worth the hassle and would additional vehicle documentation be required?

Many thanks in advance

Edited by roytheoldboy

Hi Guys just a couple of queries sorry if its old hat and been asked a hundred times before..Once this 1 year extension to the non o marriage visa is in place,can this be reapplied for in the same way once the year is up,for another year?ie.another visit to nearest immigration office(can this be any immigration office?) .or is this a once only event and a new non o required first?................

Question 2 does one then have to do a 90 day report (by email?) to register current address?

Question 3 is it permitted to drive (for a Thai...I was thinking of asking the brother in Law to drive me.)to Savannakhet from Burriram if I had to do the new visa application or would it not be worth the hassle and would additional vehicle documentation be required?

Many thanks in advance

You apply for an extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage at the immigration office that has responsibility for where you are living. You cannot apply at any other office. You can apply for a new extension of stay every year for infinity without needing a new visa entry.

You can make reports of staying longer than 90 days in the country online, by mail or in person.

To take vehicle across the border requires a passport for it issued by the Department of Land transport and the original registration book for it. Probably best to park the car and take the bus across the bridge.

• Like 1

<snip>

Probably best to park the car and take the bus across the bridge.

IMO if you have the possibility to drive your car across Do it, as I just been across that bridge and I really hated getting on that bus. 40-50 people trying all to get on the same bus with no respect at all. The whole trip to Savannakhet was nice but that getting on the Bus thing I really hated.

Ps: And if you can't get on that Bus you have to wait another hour for the next one.

However YMMVV

Edit: added Ps

Edited by MJCM

Hi, we're just checking out all this very useful and informative information regarding obatining a Non Imm. O Multiple Entry from Savannakhet.

Firstly - as a British Citizen, do I need a Visa to enter Laos, or is it VOA?

As I understand it (living in BKK) I would fly from DMK to Nakhon Phanom and then get the bus to the ThailLoas Friendship bridge?

Once over the bridge I head to the Thai Consulate to obtain my Visa, which would be granted if I have the documents listed in this thread?

(obviously picking it up the following day)

Im just trying to ascertain the quickest route to the Embassy/Consulate and I don't want to drive from BKK to up north.

Sorry if I appear a little obtuse and may not have picked up on this information correctly if it has already been clearly explained in this thread.

Your help is much appreciated!

D.E

Hi, we're just checking out all this very useful and informative information regarding obatining a Non Imm. O Multiple Entry from Savannakhet.

As I understand it (living in BKK) I would fly from DMK to Nakhon Phanom and then get the bus to the ThailLoas Friendship bridge?

Once over the bridge I head to the Thai Consulate to obtain my Visa, which would be granted if I have the documents listed in this thread?

Im just trying to ascertain the quickest route to the Embassy/Consulate and I don't want to drive from BKK to up north.

Sorry if I appear a little obtuse and may not have picked up on this information correctly if it has already been clearly explained in this thread.

D.E

In response to your questions...

First - You will receive a VOA, it costs 1,500 baht or $35 USD. $35 is significantly cheaper so I'd consider bringing some US Dollars with you.

Please go to the Nok Air website and there's a section where you can pick specifically "Mukdahan". That ticket will include both your airflight and your bus ride. The bus will drop off at numerous places, including the Thai/Lao friendship bridge.

I can't say specifically if they will approve you or not but when I went no one was denied. You will need the documents listed.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

D.E

First - You will receive a VOA, it costs 1,500 baht or $35 USD. $35 is significantly cheaper so I'd consider bringing some US Dollars with you.

Please go to the Nok Air website and there's a section where you can pick specifically "Mukdahan". That ticket will include both your airflight and your bus ride. The bus will drop off at numerous places, including the Thai/Lao friendship bridge.

I can't say specifically if they will approve you or not but when I went no one was denied. You will need the documents listed.

HI Jeffrey,

Thank you very much!

Very helpful!

So when I get to the bridge - that's essentially border control, and they would issue the VOA there?

AndI can get a tuk or a cab to the Embassy from that point too?

Stay overnight in Savannakhet, and pick up the next day, return over the bridge back into Thailand ( showing my new Visa) and then hop on the bus back to Mukdahan airport and back into BKK!

Phew - ok - I'll give it a whirl and then update you here when I get home! (hopefully!)

Many thanks,

D.E

D.E

HI Jeffrey,

Thank you very much!

Very helpful!

So when I get to the bridge - that's essentially border control, and they would issue the VOA there?

AndI can get a tuk or a cab to the Embassy from that point too?

Stay overnight in Savannakhet, and pick up the next day, return over the bridge back into Thailand ( showing my new Visa) and then hop on the bus back to Mukdahan airport and back into BKK!

Phew - ok - I'll give it a whirl and then update you here when I get home! (hopefully!)

Many thanks,

D.E

Arriving at the border you'll go through Thai immigration, similar to an airport and be stamped out of Thailand. You'll get a bus ticket as well for the bus across the bridge (you can't walk it). I don't recall the price of the bus ticket, I apologize. It wasn't significant.

When arriving on the Lao side of the bridge you'll go to the "Visa on Arrival" window. Fill out the normal forms, give them the money and your passport will be returned with a 30 day Lao visa in it. This process takes about 5-10 minutes. Much quicker than Vientaine. Once you get stamped into Laos, you'll be approached by tuk tuk's and van drivers, all offering to take you to wherever you're going.

Staying in Savannakhet is what we did and, it makes sense because if you stayed in Mukdahan, you'd need to get a new VOA on your way back over the bridge.

If you are taking Nok Air you'll want to get a bus or taxi to Ploy Palace. That's where the Nok Air van will pick you up. I recommend a taxi if you can schedule one, it was only about 125 baht, good service, quick, and none of the pushiness of buses.

Note: The area near Ploy Palace is alright if you're looking for a quick bite.

Also Note: The bus across the bridge can be pretty crowded, people will rush the bus if there's a crowd so just be ready to be a little forceful on your way in.

Final Note: Ploy Palace staff was very helpful, told us when the van arrived and, when we were out eating, the van even called the wife's cell to confirm we were there.

Good luck and as I said, if you need anything, let me know!

• 4 weeks later...

I am planning to do this visa run in the next two weeks and was hoping someone could clarify whether I can provide a copy (and produce the original) of our australian marriage certificate? We were married in Australia 9 yeears ago but have not married here or registered the marriage with thai authorities.

We do have copies of the australian certificate certified by the australian embassy here.

THanks in advance.

I am planning to do this visa run in the next two weeks and was hoping someone could clarify whether I can provide a copy (and produce the original) of our australian marriage certificate? We were married in Australia 9 yeears ago but have not married here or registered the marriage with thai authorities.

We do have copies of the australian certificate certified by the australian embassy here.

THanks in advance.

They will accept your marriage certificate from Australia..

• Like 1

One more question... Can anyone confirm whether I need to have my Australian marriage certificate translated to thai? Or is a certified copy of the original (in English) accepted? Obviously I don't want to go all the way there and be rejected...

Thanks in advance.