Thai Tour Guides Protest against unlicensed foreign guides at Pattaya Police Station

webfact

Thai Tour Guides Protest against unlicensed foreign guides at Pattaya Police Station

guide-2.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Over 100 Thai Tour Guides who work in Pattaya took part in an angry protest on Pattaya Beach Road on Thursday Morning to demonstrate their anger towards the Police who are claimed not to be taking any action against illegal foreign tour guides who are working in the City.

To make the situation tenser, the protesters spotted a Chinese Man, who they claimed to be an illegal tour guide and after some harsh words, some directed at the guide and others at the Police, the guide was allowed to leave with his group of Chinese Tourists.

Khun Paisan, the Chairman of the Thai Guides Association of Thailand, led the protesters and presented a formal letter of complaint to Pattaya Police, who suggested the arrest of illegal foreign tour guides was difficult and unless evidence of their wrongdoing could be collated, the arrest could not be completed.

The situation has been complicated further after an announcement earlier this week that plans are being considered to allow illegal tour guides to work legally as “Tour Coordinators”, alongside Thai Guides, to improve the standard of guides around Thailand.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/200670/thai-tour-guides-protest-against-unlicensed-foreign-guides-at-pattaya-police-station/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-06-19

PATTAYA
Tour guides want action against illegal guides

THE NATION

30262644-01_big.jpg?1434652110814

PATTAYA: -- Some 100 Thai tour guides rallied outside Muang Pattaya Police Station in Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district early yesterday, demanding serious action against illegal foreign tour guides. They also filed a petition with the mayor of Pattaya.

The group, led by Paisarn Sue-tanuwong, wants action to be taken against foreigners illegally working as tour guides in Pattaya as they violated Thai laws, including the Tourism and Guide Registration Act 2008 and the Immigration Act 1979.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Tour-guides-want-action-against-illegal-guides-30262644.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-19

Message for the THAI Tour Guides....

1.Get off your <deleted> and learn some BASIC Chinese- English language (Good morning/afternoon/evening would be a start)

2. Dress in a manner that reflects your "status" as a Thai Tour Guide

3. Make sure the brochures/info sheets that you give to the tour groups are in the language applicable to the group you are leading.

4. DON'T herd any groups into your "Family or friends" shops (where the cost of items has been inflated 5 minutes before the tour groups arrival...!!!!)

5. Stop moaning.....the power to fix this problem of yours is in your hands...!!!!

Where are the SOME 100 Travelguides? I see only max 30-40 on the pictures.

But this problem it give now nearly 40 years. It will never give enough Thai tourguides who speak english, russian, chinese, french, spanish, ...!!!

They are to lazy to learn foreign languages, It give some instituions in Pattaya where they can learn english and german free, but ....mostly only bargirls do it.

All international travelcompanies have problems to find qualified staff in Thailand. About this they use farangs for communicate to their tourists and pay double for staff. At most a Thai guide and a Farang Translator are on the bus. For the illegal chinese guides it's more easy because they are asians. If a farang doing the job everyone see it and ... catched and fined!!!

give good / better service at a reasonable price

that is economics

but this does not make sense in this country

next, thai pimps go protest against the farangs & the hurd working here and taking jobs from the poor thai sweeties ?

I wonder how many of these thai guides speak chinese...??? saai.gif

Or decent English for that matter.

Buhu police not help us.....

Get of your ..... and do something about it yourself....

My last and surely the tourist guide last trip i had with a guide in Thailand...

We got 30 min at the attraction in witch we booked a trip for, then rushed back to the bus, then we where driven to a market where we spent 3 hours. nobody bought anything since the prices was hugely inflated...

inn the end we all asked the guide time to leave. she was upset and said we should all buy something at the market.....

When we got back home the guide was asking tip from everybody, most people too shy not to pay.... Not me....

Then the greedy one comes to me "you forget to give me tip"

i say no i not forget but i already pay for trip and only tip if someone give good service..... and i explain she not do that....

Then off course she don't understand English good..... cheesy.gif

But give me tip OK..... answer NO!

and walk away.... coffee1.gif

Language should not be an issue. Chinese is taught is some Thai schools (such as mine), from grade 1, and it is a major subject in M4-M6, often taught by Chinese native speakers. Thousands of Thais are learning Chinese everyday. There is no need to use Chinese tour guides (bear in mind, I went on a Thai tour to Australia with my wife, and guess what, there was a Thai tour guide on board - but his english was worse than my 11 y.o sons lol. Not even sure it is legal to do that in Australia. I think it's quite common for Asians to send their nationals on tours to foreign countries who speak the lingo. Thais shouldn't moan about it, as they do the same when overseas!

"the arrest of illegal foreign tour guides was difficult"

More so if the following policy (ThaiVisa 2015-06-15) is approved by Prayut:

"Illegal foreign tour guides may be allowed to work legally for tour companies as tour coordinators if the plan of the Tourism Department of the Tourism and Transport Ministry is approved by the prime minister next week, a senior official said.

Promchote Traiwej, deputy director general of the Tourism Department, said his department would next week propose a measure for solving the issue of foreigners working illegally as tour guides to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.
If the measure is approved by Prayut, the foreigners, who are working illegally as tour guides, can register themselves at Thai embassies and the Foreign Ministry and they would be allowed to work as tour coordinators."
Until the outcome of this proposal, police need to defer taking any action against foreign tour guides.