Nonimmo Retirement Spouse/dependent 800k/1.6m ?

Hi,

My husband went to a lawyer today in Chiangmai to see about applying for the Retirement visa and got some information that goes against a lot that we have learned here on the forum.

First a little background we are US citizens we have been traveling for the last year before we came to Thailand so were not able to apply for the visa in our home country. We came from Singapore on a 60 day tourist which we extended 30 days and then have gone on 3 border runs. We want to stay long term and with the new changes we need to get the retirement visa...

My husband is over 50 and I am very close to being 50, the lawyer said I would have to apply for my own retirement visa also and have a separate account set up with 800,000 the same as my husband for a total of 1.6 for the both of us...plus pay him for two applications... I don't want to tie up that much in a savings/low interest account.

I know for sure I have read on the board and some answers directly from Sunbelt about couples that for example one over 50 and the other say 37 that only have to have the 800,000 and marriage license along with the other required documentation. Why would my being close to 50 make me unable to be considered a dependent?

Also I am sure I read several instances where couples over 50 only had to deposit the 800,000 can anyone help me clarify this?

And also can we get this NonImO here in Chiangmai or do we have to leave the county?

What do you think about doing this on your own, have people had pretty good experiences with just taking all your info to immigration?

Thanks in advance for all your help, I'm so confused! :o

Don't talk to lawyers if you don't want to be confused .........................

Sunbelt gives the best advice, and tells us that you or your husband gets a retirement visa (800,000 baht in the bank or income) and the other person gets a depentants visa - no cash retirement but you MUST have a marriage certificate.

Do it yourself, very easy and immigration are very helpful.

Edit - sorry no cash requirement!

Edited by briley

Please go to our Sunbelt office in Chiang Mai 053-283-845. Khun Krit is a top lawyer who heads up that office.

Dependent visa is only 3,900 Baht for our help.

Can confirmed only 800,000 Baht needed for the applicant, no cash requirement for the dependent.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Please go to our Sunbelt office in Chiang Mai 053-283-845. Khun Krit is a top lawyer who heads up that office.

Dependent visa is only 3,900 Baht for our help.

Can confirmed only 800,000 Baht needed for the applicant, no cash requirement for the dependent.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

www.sunbelt-chiangmai.com

the lawyer said I would have to apply for my own retirement visa also and have a separate account set up with 800,000 the same as my husband for a total of 1.6 for the both of us...plus pay him for two applications..

Does anyone know the Thai word for "shyster?"

CM Immigration is usually easy to deal with. I'd make them your next stopping spot for an information dump, to include converting your 30-day stamps into NonImm visas, then to retirement extensions. New procedure, but works in Pattaya -- and I, for one, am curious to see if CM is up to speed with this, particularly the dependent aspect of it. So, please keep us up to date on what you find out. Thanx.

depends to a large extent on immigration officer but you only need 800k and you dont need to tie it up in my experiuance just top it up if needed each tear to 800k - if you planning to live here thats about 70k baht amonth and whatever anyone says to live well you need that much a year - i mean if you want to live western style - sat tc car etc etc

If the Immigrations officer wants you to have B800,000 when you reach 50 and apply for your own retirement visa, shuffle the B800,000 from your husband's bank account to your own bank account. Just don't apply for your retirement visa near the time when your husband's annual renewal is due. Shuffle the money back to his account when it's time for his renewal. Repeat annually.

That said, the dependent visa might be easier.