Lost Emails And Address Book

smo

I recently reinstalled Internet Explorer 6 and lost all the old email messages, address book, the works. I know that if by luck they have not been overwritten then they should still be somewhere inside a folder (maybe on the other disk partition? I have my hard disk partitioned to C: and D)

Can anyone tell me where to look for them?

Thank you much in advance.

smo

Normally they (bookmarks) are found in the 'Favorites' folder located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Favorites

Substitute 'Admin" with your account name.

However if it was reinstalled under the same user name as before good chance they are gone. There was a topic on this once with recomendations that you could 'rebuild' part of it from the cache folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Just realized your post said IE 6 but then you talk about email/address book, so do you mean Outlook Express instead? If that is the case then your e-mail should be here:

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{567A933B-9B25-46A4-999F-2FCFA174BEEE}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Address book here: C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

The series of numbers will be different for you.

Edited by tywais

Silence ...

Did you have to post such a superfluous remark? Does it bother you so much that the OP hasn’t had the time to reply or comment? Didn’t it cross your mind that the OP might be working on suggestions posted by others who are genuinely interested in finding an answer for him? The answer to my last question is obviously not. Thank you.

Silence ...

Did you have to post such a superfluous remark? Does it bother you so much that the OP hasn’t had the time to reply or comment? Didn’t it cross your mind that the OP might be working on suggestions posted by others who are genuinely interested in finding an answer for him? The answer to my last question is obviously not. Thank you.

Well talk about the pot calling the kettle black. ! Seems like a little ribbing about not backing up is not out of order. Backing up is technically an easy thing to do, but day to day, things happen and it is easy to forget. Also outlook express is notorious for the difficulty in backing up it's database, so had he done so, it might still not work. There are a lot of 3rd party freewares to repair and backup a corrupted outlook database, you may need to do that, even if you are able to find it. Re-installing IE6 should not have messed with anything unlesss u reinstalled all of windows.

Silence ...

you're most welcome!

as your valuable input, help and comments on this board are so much appreciated, I stand corrected!

now let's bury it :-)

Silence ...

Did you have to post such a superfluous remark? Does it bother you so much that the OP hasn’t had the time to reply or comment? Didn’t it cross your mind that the OP might be working on suggestions posted by others who are genuinely interested in finding an answer for him? The answer to my last question is obviously not. Thank you

Yeah, you're right, Artisan, and thanks for your understanding. This being beautiful Southern Calif. (though I left my heart in Bangkok) and the weekend just started, I have other things to take care/advantage of than prowling my weekday midnight haunt, the TV forum.

Usually I want to try all the suggestions given to me thoroughly before posting the outcome, also to give time to other members who might have different opinions. Anyway, my little problem is not of such tantamount urgency, such as the new visa laws for ex., as to require an immediate response. The bottom line is I always come back to close whatever thread I have started.

And yes, I mean Outlook Express 6, not IE6. Actually I don't even remember reinstalling Outlook Express. But wait a minute... now I really remember, just at this moment, this is the scenario: I recently switched my DSL hook up from my desktop to my laptop. So actually nothing has been lost! (if only my mind, possibly) :o

Before I typed the last sentence of the above paragraph - this is being done on my laptop - I turned on my desktop and voila, the now-inactive OE 6 still contains all my previous emails and data. Sorry folks, for the false alarm, however the directions given re where and what folders to look for that contains the mail and address book are always useful to know, just in case I erase the precious data for real next time. Also thanks for the reminder to do BU (using the Export/Import features?)

Thanks again to everybody for your concern and helpful advice,

smo