American chewing tobacco in Thailand

BB1955

The nice thing about Swedish snus, as opposed to American products like Copenhagen, is that it is regulated by the government and all carcinogens have been removed. Contrary to popular belief (especially by the tobacco Nazis), nicotine is not carcinogenic. So, no, Swedish snus won't kill you or give you mouth cancer. For the non-believers, I suggest you Google it before hooting.

I use General Extra Strong Loose, purchased from http://www.buysnus.com/. I wait for a promotion and get a pretty good deal. the General Extra Strong Loose comes 42g to the can. My last promotion was buy a log, get five cans free. My final price, delivered to my door in Thailand came to $3.86US/can or about 127baht/can. It came by post and there was no tax in Thailand. Can't beat that with a stick.

The nice thing about this company is that no matter how much you order, for no extra charge, shipments to Thailand are automatically broken down into 250 grams or less packages to comply with Thai law. (Thai law legally allows the import of tobacco products up to 250 grams.) You will receive a large order in several packages.

After much searching I found a company called Siam Snus .

https://www.siamsnus.com/

Still illegal to import, but legal to manufacture here, I guess, for now.

It is NOT illegal to import this or any other tobacco product into Thailand so long as the amount doesn't exceed 250 grams per shipment. Why does this myth persist?

See here: https://thailand.visahq.com/customs/

You cannot import for resale; only for personal use, and it is cheaper to import from Sweden than to buy from SiamSnus. And do not forget that Swedish snus is powerful, yet non-carcinogenic; a big deal for me.

I have been importing Swedish snus for years. It is all above board with proper import declarations and there have never been any problems or tax.

Please stop spreading the fallacious myth that it is illegal to import for personal use.

Apologies, I should have been more clear. I think it is still illegal to import smokeless tobacco products for sale or re-sale, evidently import for personal use is legal.

In past threads here people have linked to:

Not sure if this has been repealed or superceded? It may have been as some companies seem to be producing these products in Thailand now.

With recent bans on shisha and e-cigarettes, smokeless tobacco products might eventually come under scrutiny?

Subject: Repealing the permission to import the chewing drug

To: The Permanent Secretary of Public Health

Ref: MOPH letter dated Sor Thor 0245/126 dated 3 July 1992

In the letter referring herein, the Ministry of Public Health has requested the Ministry of Finance to terminate import permit to bring in smokeless tobacco for sale in the country in view of its addictive substances which are severely hazardous to health.

The Ministry of Finance has considered this and agreed with the Ministry of Public Health’s proposal. The MOF’s policy direction had been notified to the Excise Department to cancel import permit and sale of the chewing drug and also not to permit its production in the country.

After much searching I found a company called Siam Snus .

https://www.siamsnus.com/

Still illegal to import, but legal to manufacture here, I guess, for now.

It is NOT illegal to import this or any other tobacco product into Thailand so long as the amount doesn't exceed 250 grams per shipment. Why does this myth persist?

See here: https://thailand.visahq.com/customs/

You cannot import for resale; only for personal use, and it is cheaper to import from Sweden than to buy from SiamSnus. And do not forget that Swedish snus is powerful, yet non-carcinogenic; a big deal for me.

I have been importing Swedish snus for years. It is all above board with proper import declarations and there have never been any problems or tax.

Please stop spreading the fallacious myth that it is illegal to import for personal use.

Maybe it persists because customs agents confiscate tobacco from people? They did from me just yesterday. No explanation other than it's not allowed. I had received tobacco by mail for years without a problem but the last shipment was stopped. I had to travel over 100 kilometers to the Customs House just to be told "mai dai".

• 2 years later...
On 6/30/2015 at 12:22 PM, DonHo said:

Maybe it persists because customs agents confiscate tobacco from people? They did from me just yesterday. No explanation other than it's not allowed. I had received tobacco by mail for years without a problem but the last shipment was stopped. I had to travel over 100 kilometers to the Customs House just to be told "mai dai".

I have a feeling that I will have the same situation like you did. I used many times the Swedish buysnus.com but this time I got a notification that I have to collect it by myself from Laksi post office. I ordered 16 cans with special offer, broken down in 3 250 g envelopes. I will call them on Monday. Let's see. 

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, aoneseller said:

I successfully collected my snus from the post office, I only paid some storage fee. They didn't check or ask what it is. I asked them why this time I had to collect by myself, the answer was : random check.

sounds great! gonna havta try it...

I'm a copenhagen man myself from the US..one time a finnish associate got me a can of swedish snus that was pretty much the same as copenhagen...came inna yellow can...which of the snus on the buysnus.com website would be the same as the yellow can that  tastes like US copenhagen (plain, unflavored)?

a roll = 10 cans, correct?

Archived