Watch Americans try a full English breakfast (video)

Each culture has their own breakfast.
Thai's like fried chicken.
European's like cheese and bread.

Jamaicans eat fish.

Chinese: porridge with 100 year old eggs!

So, the English and American breakfast are quite similar except for the beans and pudding instead of the hash browns (potatoes)
No big deal.

I don't get the fried tomatoes and am somewhat indifferent to black pudding, but appreciate British bacon, baked beans and fried bread. I really like British breakfasts and American ones.

Ulysses, fried tomatoes are popular in the American South. Perhaps you'll recall the very good book and movie from the 1980's titled "Fried Green Tomatoes". In America they are usually breaded though. Link Pictures

I like both types of breakfasts. I wouldn't want to limit to just one.

I don't get the fried tomatoes and am somewhat indifferent to black pudding, but appreciate British bacon, baked beans and fried bread. I really like British breakfasts and American ones.

Black pudding is usually fried for breakfast - restaurants don't always do it as good as home cooking. It's better boiled with bread or mushy peas, imo.

Tinned tarantella tomatoes are more traditional than fresh ones. A good sausage is essential, along with optional extras of mushrooms.

A Scottish breakfast has haggis and oatcakes as well.

A real full English would start with either cereal/porridge, grapefruit or kipper, then your cooked fried breakfast, followed by toast with butter and marmalade - all washed down with cups of strong breakfast tea.

Interesting they had a bottle of HP Sauce.

Used to be made in Birmingham, central England. You could see the factory from the M5 motorway when driving by. They closed the factory and moved production to Holland, The flavor is a lot less now.

Restaurants - good ones, usually offer HP (or Daddies which I think much better), ketchup and Worcester sauce to choose from.

Jamaicans eat fish.

So, the English and American breakfast are quite similar except for the beans and pudding instead of the hash browns (potatoes)

No big deal.

Americans destroy their bacon to a crisp, I find

Jamaicans eat fish.

No big deal.

Perhaps you meant to say, "Americans prepare their bacon to a delightfully crispy and mouthwatering texture." biggrin.png

Jamaicans eat fish.

No big deal.

Perhaps you meant to say, "Americans prepare their bacon to a delightfully crispy and mouthwatering texture." biggrin.png

They damn well pick it up and eat it it's so crispy :P

One thing from the States I am a big fan of is hash browns, love 'em

Also, the whole 'bottomless coffee' thing they do and probably started in other places. If I have a buffet breakfast anywhere I am making my money back on coffee alone coffee1.gif

https://youtu.be/PWMwmiLA6S0

Spotted Dick Sir?

Yeah, I had a chuckle about that the first time I went to England. Also when I saw a pub in the Cotswolds selling small jars of "cockles" as a snack.

it used to be quite traditional years back to have either a small van parked outside or someone going around to pub with a basket selling all kinds of cockles, crab and shellfish. if i remember rightly most people would sprinkle vinegar or lemon and salt on the fare they had just purchased.

nowadays most pubs sell either a selection of crisps and nuts because of the salt factor, making the customer order more beverages to kill the thirst.

if you ever do frequent an old traditional pub ( and not one of these bistro <deleted> joints. that have, a long with beer prices and the pc brigade that don't like smoking in a public houses killed off the old style traditional public houses ) sorry rant over ! try a packet of pork scratchins, scampi fries or some dry roasted peanuts.

as an observation from the first part of the clip, it seemed to me as if the American tasters remarked that several items weren't kind of greasy, oily or fatty enough. which is kind of worrying, from an outsiders point of view. especially as most Brits regard a full English as more of a one off maybe once a week ( a heart attack on a plate as some would say )

Cumberland and Lincolnshire sausages are quite a favorite among a lot of people. as well as chips, burgers and as mentioned hash browns. did i miss anything ? biggrin.png

now wheres that link about the full English challenge gone ? was posted on TV some 5 or 6 years back.

Edited by tigerfish

a coffee and a fag is the ultimate breakfast for me... and on a off day i just substitute the coffee with a beer...

lightweight, everyone knows a full English and a pint of the black stuff is the way to go ! biggrin.png

are you from Paris, Barcerlona or somewhere like Los Angeles ? wink.png

it used to be quite traditional years back to have either a small van parked outside or someone going around to pub with a basket selling all kinds of cockles, crab and shellfish. if i remember rightly most people would sprinkle vinegar or lemon and salt on the fare they had just purchased.

nowadays most pubs sell either a selection of crisps and nuts because of the salt factor, making the customer order more beverages to kill the thirst.

if you ever do frequent an old traditional pub ( and not one of these bistro <deleted> joints. that have, a long with beer prices and the pc brigade that don't like smoking in a public houses killed off the old style traditional public houses ) sorry rant over ! try a packet of pork scratchins, scampi fries or some dry roasted peanuts.

I've had all three and would have them again!

Also, from another one of your posts, I thought that bangers and mash covered in gravy was the "heart-attack-on-a-plate."

Edit: Also, from the video, the "fried bread" thing. I've had the full English breakfast in several places, including many places in England, and was always given toast not fried bread.

Edited by TheAppletons

Interesting they had a bottle of HP Sauce.

Used to be made in Birmingham, central England. You could see the factory from the M5 motorway when driving by. They closed the factory and moved production to Holland, The flavor is a lot less now.

Restaurants - good ones, usually offer HP (or Daddies which I think much better), ketchup and Worcester sauce to choose from.

Coincidently, in another thread going now a poster states that HP is now produced in Belgium..close enough i guess.

That would be a slap in the face for them tho, as they are always whining about how much land they lost after the war :0)

https://youtu.be/PWMwmiLA6S0

Spotted Dick Sir?

Yeah, I had a chuckle about that the first time I went to England. Also when I saw a pub in the Cotswolds selling small jars of "cockles" as a snack.

so its PC to not want to be subjected to someone elses poisons??

No big diff innit? All variations on the same thing. Other than the black puddings which are unknown in the colonies of course, I mean how foreign is a grilled Tomato?

Foreign enough that I don't think I ever consumed a grilled tomato until I was in my thirties. Black pudding (shudder).

I had grilled tomatoes on s shish kebab from as early as I can remember. Similarly baked beans are served at every suburban barbecue, just not consumed for breakfast, as are sautéed mushrooms. I think a video showing Americans served a Japanese breakfast would be more interesting.

Edited by arunsakda