Mcafee

crabstix

I have last year's version of mcafee antivirus installed on my pc. Yesterday I tried uninstalling it before installing a newer version but it won't let me. It uninstalls say 95% of it then freezes! I have to do CTL ALT Delete and cancel running programs. When I turn on my PC it says that some of the Mcafee security center components are missing. I tried doing a system restore to a week ago and that doesnt help. I tried googling and they recommended I try clicking on my computer, drive C, double clicking on Mcafee folder, agent folder, app folder and removing the adf files, the finally uninstalling mcafee. That didnt work either! So I put all the adf files back by going through the recycle bin. What do I do next? Any other options I haven't thought of?

Probably due to some pieces of Mcafee are still in memory and it's associated file is locked not allowing removal. Try starting the computer in "Safe Mode", hitting the F8 key while the computer is starting up. Then try to do the uninstall.

Probably due to some pieces of Mcafee are still in memory and it's associated file is locked not allowing removal. Try starting the computer in "Safe Mode", hitting the F8 key while the computer is starting up. Then try to do the uninstall.

I would think that would do it, I found McAfee a nightmare when we put it on our computer suite. If the safe mode fails you could try start/search/McAfee then make a list of any files it finds and delete them manually through explorer.

I have last year's version of mcafee antivirus installed on my pc. Yesterday I tried uninstalling it before installing a newer version but it won't let me. It uninstalls say 95% of it then freezes! I have to do CTL ALT Delete and cancel running programs. When I turn on my PC it says that some of the Mcafee security center components are missing. I tried doing a system restore to a week ago and that doesnt help. I tried googling and they recommended I try clicking on my computer, drive C, double clicking on Mcafee folder, agent folder, app folder and removing the adf files, the finally uninstalling mcafee. That didnt work either! So I put all the adf files back by going through the recycle bin. What do I do next? Any other options I haven't thought of?

Go to: Start => Run, type in Regedit, CTRL + F, type in McAfee and hit Enter, delete the upcoming entry, hit F3, delete and and and ................ until not found anything more.

If some can't be delete, Right click on that entry and change permission to full and than delete the entry.

After this you can delete all files from McAfee.

I would think that would do it, I found McAfee a nightmare when we put it on our computer suite. If the safe mode fails you could try start/search/McAfee then make a list of any files it finds and delete them manually through explorer.

HI

I tried that just now. I got the following error message: "cannot delete McABImp.dll. Access is denied. Make sure that the disk is not full/write protected & that the file is not currently in use"

This makes no sense to me as I have no disk inserted. What should I do next? Sorry. I am terrible with technical stuff. Would really appreciate any suggestions

HI

I tried that just now. I got the following error message: "cannot delete McABImp.dll. Access is denied. Make sure that the disk is not full/write protected & that the file is not currently in use"

This makes no sense to me as I have no disk inserted. What should I do next? Sorry. I am terrible with technical stuff. Would really appreciate any suggestions

I just had a similar prob. with a program called nbn-dm. I tried all the suggestions on this thread but they didn't work, so I did a Yahoo search of "delete nbn-dm" and found out that there were other people w/ the same problem. The solution for me was to download and install a freeware called "unlocker" from Webpage. Hope this helps.

HI

I just had a similar prob. with a program called nbn-dm. I tried all the suggestions on this thread but they didn't work, so I did a Yahoo search of "delete nbn-dm" and found out that there were other people w/ the same problem. The solution for me was to download and install a freeware called "unlocker" from Webpage. Hope this helps.

Thanks. That seemed to let me delete the nbn-dm file. After deleting all the Mcafee files using 'search,' I installed Panda Antivirus + Antispyware. After installing it another error message came up! It read "To install Titanium, you must first uninstall 'McAfee VirusScan.' I thought this message was really weird because I had just deleted all the McAfee files I had searched for!

Is there a McAfee file/prog hidden somewhere? If so how can I access and delete it?

Now I have no antivirus active on my pc. I feel like I am having sex without a condom!

This is from the McAfee help center:

Manual Uninstall of VirusScan

Please follow the instructions below to run the VirusScan removal tool. This will completely remove VirusScan from your computer.

1. Download and save the Virus Scan removal tool VSCleanupTool.exe

2. Locate VSCleanupTool.exe on your desktop and double-click to launch.

3. The removal tool will schedule and display a time when the removal process will begin.

Note: The displayed time should be within one mintute of the current system time shown in the bottom right side of the screen.

4. Removal will begin at the displayed time.

5. During this process, several icons will be created on your desktop. All of these new icons, except one, will be removed when the uninstall is complete and the computer has been restarted. The file mccleanup.log will remain on the desktop. Once you have verified the removal was successful, you can delete this file.

6. When finished, the following message will be displayed: The machine must reboot to complete the uninstallation. Reboot now?

7. Press "Y" on your keyboard to restart your computer and complete the removal process.

If VirusScan is the only McAfee service installed on your computer, uninstall SecurityCenter.

Some more information here: McAfee Uninstall

Edited by tywais

thanks. that didnt work either! will i have to format my hard drive and re-install everything? i have never done that before and would only consider doing it as a last resort. Seems to be some mcaffee files left on my pc which i cannot see. new antivirus progs wont install and say that it detects the presence of these files which will cause a conflict and therefore wont install. i am sending this post from my pocket pc phone because i am afraid viruses will infect my pc since i dont have any protection.

thanks

thanks. that didnt work either! will i have to format my hard drive and re-install everything? i have never done that before and would only consider doing it as a last resort. Seems to be some mcaffee files left on my pc which i cannot see. new antivirus progs wont install and say that it detects the presence of these files which will cause a conflict and therefore wont install. i am sending this post from my pocket pc phone because i am afraid viruses will infect my pc since i dont have any protection.

thanks

I had a similar problem a while ago,couldn't uninstall some program.It happened because I had done a system restore.System restore seems to delete some files anyway.In my case windows told me it couldn't find the uninstall.I reinstalled the program and after that i could uninstall it without any problem.Maybe its also a good idea you install an uninstaller utility first.You can find them aws freeware if you do a google.

I reinstalled the program and after that i could uninstall it without any problem.

That's a good idea and forgot about it. Do as basjke mentions, that way all the original pieces will be back in place then use the Mcafee Viruscan removal tool I mentioned before.

I reinstalled the program and after that i could uninstall it without any problem.

That's a good idea and forgot about it. Do as basjke mentions, that way all the original pieces will be back in place then use the Mcafee Viruscan removal tool I mentioned before.

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately I have already hired a technician to format my drive C and reinstall everything(after backing up my data to dvd) . He says he will install everything including my pocket pc software too. I really hope my pocket pc data still syncs after that! Will let you know how it all goes. Thanks for your suggestions