best options for one month of internet access needed in thonglor condo

kunjet

hi, i'm considering renting a condo unit for a month in thonglor that does not have internet access

i will have an i-phone with AIS unlimited data plan, but don't think that will be enough speed for two laptops being used to surf the net on a regular basis

what are the current options for good/reliable wifi plans and could i expect that to work more or less in any big building?

what about wireless portable wifi hotspots devices like usb or small pods? do any providers rent the devices for short term?

i have verizon in the usa and they claim to have wireless access for subscribers in bangkok such as at bts stations and malls. has anyone tried accessing this?

https://www.verizon.com/foryourhome/myaccount/ngen/upr/splash/hotspots.aspx

What "AIS unlimited data plan" would that be? All Mobile Carriers in Thailand only offer 3G and 4G/LTE metered/measured service (no unlimited data).
Either you pay for a limited time-based subscription, or an amount of data, then the connection is either cut off or significantly reduced in speed (64kbps/128kbps/384kbps) for the duration of the subscription.

The Largest plan I've seen is 12GB of Data at full speed access, then unlimited at throttled speed of 64kbps.

As you mention, for a month you may find it very convenient to tether a Data Internet connection through a mobile phone.

Just make sure your phone is unlocked and operates on 2100 (Band 1).

Otherwise you can purchase 3G WiFi Hotspot devices to share the 3G subscription connection.

Another alternative may be to subscribe to a commercial WiFi Hotspot, if you are within range of a strong enough signal, as they usually provide 10Mbps actual unlimited for 99 THB/mo. But then you're tied to that commercial WiFi Hotspot for Internet.

You won't know until you get there if there's a public wifi signal close enough to where you live. There's dtac wifi true move wifi in some places. You can get USB dongles but they are still operating on 3G /4g network, so you might find just using your phone for a wireless hotspot about the same speed. I've got prepaid dtac on my phone and subscribe to a data plan. I've also got a true move SIM card I signed up data package. I found dtac faster where I am ,also in thonglor. I just do the hotspot from my phone it's good enough for my laptop.

If you're really after fast internet then you may be better to look for a place that offers wifi in condo already. My condos wifi is fast but only allows one connection at a time, and it's expensive at 1000 baht month, with annoying timeouts. If it's free wifi every som tom and harry will be connected and it will be slower than the baht bus in peak hour up soi ekkamai.

Archived