Advice on Moobaans - Koolpuntville 9 v Lanna Pinery v Baan Nai Fun

didster

Dear All,

I have been looking at houses in Moobaans for the last couple of days. I am wanting a moobaan with children in.

I really like Lanna Pinery and Baan Nai Fun - although there aren't many houses available here.

However in Koolpuntville 9 you seem to get more for your money - big house with large garden as probably because it is out of town, Although it seemed huge!

Has anyone any comments on any of these moobaans as really finding it difficult to choose.

Thanks

Rent first. What is happening in the moo baans is that a few renters/owners are wrecking them. In my moo baan an English jerk turned his huge house into a backpacker hotel. He and his Thai wife slept in the maid's house and filled their home with trashy, noisy tourists. The final straw was a red taxi filled with "massage" ladies arriving late at night. Now my moo baan has a rule that an owner can only rent to one family for a minimum of six months. No subletting. No short-term "rents". You have to ask the HOA in each moo baan if they have any problems with short-term renters. It took us a year of community townhall meetings to convince the Thai wife that she and her no-good husband were no longer welcome and that the next step would be to complain to immigration. I wanted a preemptive strike... report activity to the police and take the report to immigration to expel the husband for running a business., However, the Thai who are infinitely more polite and thoughtful than I am, wanted to negotiate first. Good for the Thai. If I were not restrained by kind neighbors that British bastard would be in the parks of London now sleeping under a tree.

Rent first. What is happening in the moo baans is that a few renters/owners are wrecking them. In my moo baan an English jerk turned his huge house into a backpacker hotel. He and his Thai wife slept in the maid's house and filled their home with trashy, noisy tourists. The final straw was a red taxi filled with "massage" ladies arriving late at night. Now my moo baan has a rule that an owner can only rent to one family for a minimum of six months. No subletting. No short-term "rents". You have to ask the HOA in each moo baan if they have any problems with short-term renters. It took us a year of community townhall meetings to convince the Thai wife that she and her no-good husband were no longer welcome and that the next step would be to complain to immigration. I wanted a preemptive strike... report activity to the police and take the report to immigration to expel the husband for running a business., However, the Thai who are infinitely more polite and thoughtful than I am, wanted to negotiate first. Good for the Thai. If I were not restrained by kind neighbors that British bastard would be in the parks of London now sleeping under a tree.

Now you have got that off your chest, could you kindly answer the OP question or perhaps better still start a thread of your own to vent your anger..

Hi, I looked at exact the same places when searching for a house last November. We ultimately opted for Nai Fan and live here now for about 3 months. What I observed so far is that it is very well kept, cleaning, garbage collection all in good order. It's very quiet, I like that, and no dogs running around free. The facilities are excellent and well maintained (possibly due to the fact they are shared with the hotel located in the Moo Baan). The location is IMO better then the other 2 you mention, by car it's about 10/15 mins to Nimman area and there are also plenty of decent restaurants nearby. I like cycling and am on quiet roads within minutes.

Canal road is overall less congested then Hang Dong road, also less heavy traffic.

I did like Lanna Pinery as well, it has a bit of the same feel as Nai Fan, but wasn't to impressed by KPV 9. To big, to many empty spots, to far from the city and overall maintenance not as good as the other two IMO.

Edited by stuurman

• 2 months later...

Koolpunt 9 is noisy because of the airplane path, I did rent 1 year in Lanna Pinery it is very nice, I got many friends there, there are houses for sale but often with tenant. Close to Lanna Pinery there is also Lanna Montra, Home in Park, and in front of the market you have Koolpunt 8 ( small but nice ), also Sansaran in the other side Samoeng road and Chiang Mai Country park ville

We looked at Koolpuntville but couldn't find a house we liked....Some funky designs with not enough inside the fence parking....And some of the rents were not realistic....The area is too spread out and building seems to have stagnated there.....Shopping - not much outside Kad Farang & Hang Dong market....Don't golf so that doesn't tick a box - there are security gates BUT you can drive in unchecked via the local villages and that made me uneasy.......

We are in Lanna Pinery and like it....They make sure it stays quiet....Water supply at times goes off for a few hours at a time.....Houses are built OK - but not the way I would build them......We have a 2100sf house 3br/3ba with a extra room we use as Karaoke/music/gym - indoor and outdoor kitchens and room to park 3-4 cars inside our gate.....The owner likes us and is happy to have us there + would sell to us if I decided I wanted to buy it....Has a pool @ 40bt per use and a single tennis court - no golf or gym......When riding our bikes it's become a bit small and the canal road is too busy for our type riding......Since they opened the Canal Rd down to Doi Lo the traffic has gotten much worse but for the most part people are courteous going in and out - but we got clipped in the side by a motorbike zipping past the stopped traffic so that is a new concern .. .. most shopping is easy to get to and we still use the Kad Farang Rim Ping with Mae Hia market close by for the wife to grab veggies/misc....

It's all in all a nice place to live and walled completely around and the people drive sanely so feel OK when the kids are out....Soi dogs are collected and there are no loose wandering animals......

While not on your list.. I would warn anyone against Karnkanok 1.. Where I am leaving in a month or two..

Not only are the houses falling apart, a product of not allowing the filled rice land time to settle, with so many unoccupied, for sale, or bank reposessed.. The moobaan is apparently reaching a tipping point of lack of funds.

We were just told they moobaan wont collect garbage any more, thats going to the orbortor to do now.. The swimming pool and clubhouse is listed for rent on multiple agents websites so assume will have to introduce fees if its a private company, walls are falling down or cracking and they dont seem to have funds or desire to repair it.

I really like the location, for me its an ideal balance of peaceful country and quick access to town.. But the miss management low occupancy rates and rapid aging of the houses seems to put it on the fast track to failed estate. I guess thats why a 5 bed home is on the bank repo website for 2.8 million for 4 years without anyone buying it !!

didn't realise there were bank repo websites, all these stories sound worrying. Been looking around a bit and some of these moobans are seriously lacking in build quality especially a couple of the new ones we visited.

I don't like the layouts of many of them , very often exactly the same houses in rows too close together and virtually no garden. Judged on what I've seen I think I would prefer a house on an older more individual mooban that's well kept or else a house just on a soi

Is Koolpunt supposed to mean something? A pun or play on a Thai word or? Google does not link to anything else

I always thought it was just a very strange but not unpleasant type of utterance to associate with a Moo Baan, perhaps a failed attempt to invoke a feeling of Euro style or modernity.

I know these titles do not often mean anything other than just to sound pleasant certainly with a nice vowel to stretch out at the

end. as in "Nimana", "Promenada", etc..

Edited by arunsakda

Of the three you mentioned, (Koolpuntville9 v Lanna Pinery v Baan Nai Fun), Baan Nai Fun wins hands down IMO.

Different tastes I guess.. I would pick lanna pinery (or home in park) over baan nai fun.. Nai fun another one where everythings a bit too compressed for me.

didn't realise there were bank repo websites, all these stories sound worrying. Been looking around a bit and some of these moobans are seriously lacking in build quality especially a couple of the new ones we visited.

Hence why the advice to rent is so appealing.. Renting has downsides, but freedom to move or the ability to assess over time is a big plus.. Theres so many hidden negatives or superficially plastered over problems in Thai builds and the corporate governance.. It seems the attitude of many of these developments is to sweep issues under the rug until they can escape the warranty period rather than actually make an honest attempt to fix anything at all. I thought I had seen it all but the actions of Karnkanok in 'solving' problems in the absolute lowest, cheapest, shoddyest way has been near comical..

This is a repaired perimeter wall after the first one literally fell into the street this wet season !! The karnkanok construction foreman was actually pleased and happy with this work.. I guess that explains why Karnkanok is literally falling apart.. This is the second time they have repaired the wall in 4 years living here, the first repair was just some plaster and paint over the cracks.

post-9246-0-20682800-1443145900_thumb.jp

We are currently leaking 100,000 liters of water from the house to the ground each month !! But karnkanok, my landlord, no one can find the leak as its 'under' the house (or pool !!).. Problems like this are potentially huge bills and if they cant fight it out between them I just keep deducting my water bill from the landlords rent. I gave them months to sort it but they wont spend 2000b on a pro trying to trace the problem by shutting down parts and branches of the water system. Its like any problem more than a cursory look and its better to pretend it doesnt exist. I actually really like my (rented) home, and would love to solve the landlords issues from them and keep living here, but expecting me to pay 10s or even 100k in structural repairs is just not happening !!

I am sure some moobaans are more reputable or better built ?? But this one...whew !!

I don't like the layouts of many of them , very often exactly the same houses in rows too close together and virtually no garden. Judged on what I've seen I think I would prefer a house on an older more individual mooban that's well kept or else a house just on a soi

Me also.. I like some garden and private space.. But the stock of older Thai homes with dire kitchens and bathrooms is huge.. >95% of the market is either new build and no garden, no storage spaces, sort of 'starter homes'.. Or its big dusty old places with no updates over the years. So then you come back around to the own v rental issues. Hua hin, patts, even Phuket etc have many small modern homes, often with pools, designed with western tastes.. The market here is much more Thai, no gardens, no pools, etc etc Or great big dusty mansions (without an oven or modern anything) for 50 or 60k.

Have a look at baan wang tan.. Thats one of the nicer more individual ones with some decent homes out of zone 5.

Edited by LivinLOS

Nai fun is in Mae Hia, land is most expensive there than in Hang Dong, this mooban have well known 5 stars spa inside the mooban with hotel room ( like you have a private company in a mooban !! ), facilities include tennis, pool, restaurant, etc......

Lanna Pinery is Hang Dong - Nong Kwai, Nong Kwai is more expensive than Koolupnt 9 in Hang Dong, Ban Wien.

Nong Kwai, upscale mooban is Lanna Thara, where many ambassadors family live there ....

If you can avoid east side of road 108 when you drive from koolpunt 9 until Big C it is good, as it will be really noisy with the plane.

There are some mooban close to Hang Dong market, called rung arung 3, ban parichat, rungarroonvile, the last 2 are new moobans recently built or under construction...... often club houses are managed privately or owned by independant company or by the owner of the mooban.

Many people in some mooban do not live in Thailand permanenty, and the garden is not maintain, or the house look like abandoned, yes you can find many repossed houses too on bank websites

Edited by kris95

Personally I think Nai Fun and Lanna both are appealing I stayed in Lanna P before and the expat and Thai community there is right

It's a respectful bunch and no crazy dogs or neighbours there and most people in big or small developments are polite and respectful about noise and space

Nai Fun is closer to town and Mia Hie market which is neat as its serves the community well with the small shops Tesco , Rimping and lots of nice eateries make it a blast to stay at

Edited by LawrenceChee

I quite like Lanna Pinery but hadn't been in there for years until last week. Disappointed to see that they have built on a lot of the entrance land which makes it look cluttered. Some sois, houses look a bit derelict but some are as how I remember them. On the whole it is quite good for an older moobahn but areas could do with some sprucing up. The visit turned into one of those surreal experiences as they seemed to be enlarging the speed bumps and one was so huge that our car almost didn't make it, had to have a second try ! Consequently we were both in stitches in the car in the middle of the street, it was just one of those funny things. Especially as we had just driven past a house that seemed to be installing 2 HUGE Godzillas in the garden. Come on own up whose house is that !

Hence why the advice to rent is so appealing.. Renting has downsides, but freedom to move or the ability to assess over time is a big plus.. Theres so many hidden negatives or superficially plastered over problems in Thai builds and the corporate governance.. It seems the attitude of many of these developments is to sweep issues under the rug until they can escape the warranty period rather than actually make an honest attempt to fix anything at all. I thought I had seen it all but the actions of Karnkanok in 'solving' problems in the absolute lowest, cheapest, shoddyest way has been near comical..

This is a repaired perimeter wall after the first one literally fell into the street this wet season !! The karnkanok construction foreman was actually pleased and happy with this work.. I guess that explains why Karnkanok is literally falling apart.. This is the second time they have repaired the wall in 4 years living here, the first repair was just some plaster and paint over the cracks.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150911_182002.jpg

We are currently leaking 100,000 liters of water from the house to the ground each month !! But karnkanok, my landlord, no one can find the leak as its 'under' the house (or pool !!).. Problems like this are potentially huge bills and if they cant fight it out between them I just keep deducting my water bill from the landlords rent. I gave them months to sort it but they wont spend 2000b on a pro trying to trace the problem by shutting down parts and branches of the water system. Its like any problem more than a cursory look and its better to pretend it doesnt exist. I actually really like my (rented) home, and would love to solve the landlords issues from them and keep living here, but expecting me to pay 10s or even 100k in structural repairs is just not happening !!

I am sure some moobaans are more reputable or better built ?? But this one...whew !!

Me also.. I like some garden and private space.. But the stock of older Thai homes with dire kitchens and bathrooms is huge.. >95% of the market is either new build and no garden, no storage spaces, sort of 'starter homes'.. Or its big dusty old places with no updates over the years. So then you come back around to the own v rental issues. Hua hin, patts, even Phuket etc have many small modern homes, often with pools, designed with western tastes.. The market here is much more Thai, no gardens, no pools, etc etc Or great big dusty mansions (without an oven or modern anything) for 50 or 60k.

Have a look at baan wang tan.. Thats one of the nicer more individual ones with some decent homes out of zone 5.

Please please tell me you photo shopped that picture just for a laugh.

I quite like Lanna Pinery but hadn't been in there for years until last week. Disappointed to see that they have built on a lot of the entrance land which makes it look cluttered. Some sois, houses look a bit derelict but some are as how I remember them. On the whole it is quite good for an older moobahn but areas could do with some sprucing up. The visit turned into one of those surreal experiences as they seemed to be enlarging the speed bumps and one was so huge that our car almost didn't make it, had to have a second try ! Consequently we were both in stitches in the car in the middle of the street, it was just one of those funny things. Especially as we had just driven past a house that seemed to be installing 2 HUGE Godzillas in the garden. Come on own up whose house is that !

Welcome to our street....The owners husband of the Godzilla house is from Japan....House is around 12,000sf and still growing.....Unknown whether he has anything to do with those movies....They've ramped the slopes on both sides of the speed bump and painted reflective stripes on it....Godzilla is about 16 feet tall or more and just got a repaint - guess Godzilla comes with a good warranty..... Edited by pgrahmm

Is Koolpunt supposed to mean something? A pun or play on a Thai word or? Google does not link to anything else

I always thought it was just a very strange but not unpleasant type of utterance to associate with a Moo Baan, perhaps a failed attempt to invoke a feeling of Euro style or modernity.

I know these titles do not often mean anything other than just to sound pleasant certainly with a nice vowel to stretch out at the

end. as in "Nimana", "Promenada", etc..

Try switching the K and the P in Koolpunt. I drive past Koolpuntville 9 every day - and one day it sort of clicked in my mind.

And KP9 does have some pools in it... biggrin.png

If your interested to explore a bit further, suggest you look in The Urbana 1 village on the superhighway just past Big C Don Chan (but on opposite side to Big C). About 2.5 kilometres to the old city square.

Village is just 3 / 4 years old, about 400 houses, very family and community oriented, plenty of kids, excellent security, excellent swim pool and gym, village is very clean, owners respecting the original 'residential only' rules.

I've noticed maybe 20 houses with signs for rent, I'm not aware of any agents trying to rent them.

Suggest you drive up to the security box and ask can you drive around to find the for rent signs and get some tel. numbers.

Original contact with security staff will need to be in Thai language.

Some mooban will built all the houses are same time, no empty plot, no funny design, people can still buy 2 or 3 plots of land and choose one of the design proposed and do some extensions if needed.... I do like Lanna Pinery, but there are too many gaps between the difference phases, some houses can be older than 10 years and some are just new built, at the end when you buy there you need to understand price history about land per sqw as it was not the same 10 years ago, than last year when they built at the entrance the 3 plots near the security guard..... Nai Fun is a bit similar as many empty plots, everybody design what they want, bungalow, 2 storeys, large house,,, there are some for sale very very expensive there, over 30 M.... the range of price is very wide....

If your interested to explore a bit further, suggest you look in The Urbana 1 village on the superhighway just past Big C Don Chan (but on opposite side to Big C). About 2.5 kilometres to the old city square.

Village is just 3 / 4 years old, about 400 houses, very family and community oriented, plenty of kids, excellent security, excellent swim pool and gym, village is very clean, owners respecting the original 'residential only' rules.

I've noticed maybe 20 houses with signs for rent, I'm not aware of any agents trying to rent them.

Suggest you drive up to the security box and ask can you drive around to find the for rent signs and get some tel. numbers.

Original contact with security staff will need to be in Thai language.

any idea of rent prices? did you see any on the signs? Is there just one means of access and exit?

There are a few agents with listings for Urbans 1. Not associated with or recommending but link below has some examples.

http://chiangmaiopenrealty.com/category/type/house/the-urbana-1

Also estate link for some background info

http://www.palmsprings.co.th/project-singlehouse-theurbana1-en.html

Edited by mamborobert