Motorway 'M-Pass' toll card on sale tomorrow

webfact

Motorway 'M-Pass' toll card on sale tomorrow
By Coconuts Bangkok

mpass.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A new toll card for the motorways goes on sale tomorrow.

The “M-Pass” card enables motorists to make fast payments on the Route 7 and 9 motorways starting July 31.

The M-Pass is expected to help with the congestion at the motorway by increasing traffic flow through the toll stops from 350 cars to 800 cars per hour.

Add it to your collection of public transit and motorway cards. No, the card can not be used with any of the other transportation cartels, such as the capital’s expressway system operated by the Expressway Authority of Thailand, which requires its "Easy Pass" card.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/07/06/motorway-m-pass-toll-card-sale-tomorrow

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-07-06

If you read the full article (link provided in OP), it says ..

"The M-Pass can be bought at Krung Thai Bank tomorrow starting at THB1,000. The card will also double as a Visa debit card. Identification is required to purchase the card."

"Officials say they are still working on integrating all the passes together, according to Chusak Kaewi, director of the Highway Department."

Just like the BTS and MRT administrations have been working on an integrated ticketing system...for a decade. It will be interesting to see how many new ticketing schemes are introduced with the mass transit extensions currently under construction. One each?

"The M-Pass can be bought at Krung Thai Bank tomorrow starting at THB1,000. The card will also double as a Visa debit card."

Which begs the question do you have to have a KTB account or does the 'debit' aspect of the card enable the owner to use the balance in the card account for POS transactions?

"The M-Pass can be bought at Krung Thai Bank tomorrow starting at THB1,000. The card will also double as a Visa debit card."

Which begs the question do you have to have a KTB account or does the 'debit' aspect of the card enable the owner to use the balance in the card account for POS transactions?

And, does the card get swiped at the M-way tollbooth or does the driver have to stick it in a machine? It's not a RFID like the EasyPass.

So now one needs two different plastic things that have to be paid at two different locations to go on the different motorways?!? facepalm.gifbah.gifcheesy.gif

Any comment I would have on this would put me in jail for life in this country, so I won't...

Does anyone know how it works? I can't find any info in English. Is the 1000 baht just a deposit or is it prepaid toll fees? Why do they give you an ATM card as well and how do you top up the card if you don't have an account with krung Thai bank?

Thanks

Got one today. 1000 baht fee and then first minimum initial top up of 1000. After that can be done in 500 baht increments at a KTB ATM, their online banking or at their bank counters.

For non KTB customers they give you an ATM card which effectively a new bank account but it comes part of the package so no fussing around.

You can load up the ATM card and then use the KTB ATM to pay the top up. The rest of the time it just works as a normal ATM account.

I used a Thai ID card to apply so I suspect non-Thais will need a passport or PR ID card.

You also need to give your license plate number.

Got one today. 1000 baht fee and then first minimum initial top up of 1000. After that can be done in 500 baht increments at a KTB ATM, their online banking or at their bank counters.

For non KTB customers they give you an ATM card which effectively a new bank account but it comes part of the package so no fussing around.

You can load up the ATM card and then use the KTB ATM to pay the top up. The rest of the time it just works as a normal ATM account.

I used a Thai ID card to apply so I suspect non-Thais will need a passport or PR ID card.

You also need to give your license plate number.

Was that 1,000 baht fee + 1,000 baht top-up, or do the initial 1,000 baht include 1,000 baht of value to spend at the toll stations?

Another thing I don't understand is that it's claimed that this is supposed to be valid at roads no. 7 and 9, but on road no. 9 between Bang Na-Trat and Pra Ram IV it has so far been Easy-Pass? Is that going to change or will road no. 9 be divided into different zones with different cards?

In any case, having two different card systems is so stupid that it feels unreal. What started well with Easy-Pass is now moving towards a total fiasco. I wonder what they'll invent for what appears to be another new tollway system on the last 40 kilometres down towards Pattaya.

I wonder what they'll invent for what appears to be another new tollway system on the last 40 kilometres down towards Pattaya.

I reckon that'll be this M-Pass, as it's the Chonburi-Pattaya expressway and a direct extension of the 7. Although, with these fools in the drivers seat, who knows.

The toll gates on the 7 actually have covered signs over couple of the booths stating that the Easy Pass does not work here yet. Looks like somebody pissed in some one else's morning cereal and the result is this.

What a mess! Another motorway toll payment system and not compatible with the existing one!

Why are these clowns not able to have one single system for all toll? Has the BTS MRT Airport Link not taught them anything?

And the system used to sell the M-Pass must have been designed by some sadic bureaucrat. Only Grungthai Bank sell it, only for cash and only 2 passes per ID card! Top up only at Grungthai Bank. Looks like they don't want to sell and make it as complicated and unfriendly as possible.

What a mess! Another motorway toll payment system and not compatible with the existing one!

Why are these clowns not able to have one single system for all toll? Has the BTS MRT Airport Link not taught them anything?

And the system used to sell the M-Pass must have been designed by some sadic bureaucrat. Only Grungthai Bank sell it, only for cash and only 2 passes per ID card! Top up only at Grungthai Bank. Looks like they don't want to sell and make it as complicated and unfriendly as possible.

Its the Department of Land Transport who issue them, via KTB which is owned (fully?) but the government.

Not ideal, but what are you going to do?

The 15 mins at the bank was painless enough. Will save huge amounts of time on the motorway from here on in.

Thought this sounded a good idea, despite the minor inconvenience of having to have both Easypass and MPass

MPass has been marked up on all the tolls between Pattaya and BKK. Easypass does save time in Bkk because of the toll queues. But there are typically no queues on the Bkk-Pattaya stretch so what is the point?

However, I am stunned they will charge me 1000thb to own one and then expect me to find a Krungthai bank every time I want to top it up - why would I want to do this?

Seems like a good idea wrecked by incompetent planning

Its the Department of Land Transport who issue them, via KTB which is owned (fully?) but the government.

Not ideal, but what are you going to do?

The 15 mins at the bank was painless enough. Will save huge amounts of time on the motorway from here on in.

What to do? Think before you act! That would be my advice to those responsible.

One system for all.

Today Easy Pass is actually easy and can be topped up in multiple ways.

Why such stupid restrictions for M-Pass? Makes no sense.

Assuming it works like the Easy-Pass, the 1,000 would be a deposit.

My concern is with both in the windshield, will they double-dip or confuse the reader...

With Easy-Pass, the THB 1,000 is not a deposit but money that can be spent at the toll station.

My concern is with both in the windshield, will they double-dip or confuse the reader...

With Easy-Pass, the THB 1,000 is not a deposit but money that can be spent at the toll station.

I don't think so, although I think the deposit was only 600 for the Easy-Pass.

I don't think so, although I think the deposit was only 600 for the Easy-Pass.

I am 100% sure. I bought my Easy-Pass 6 months ago, paid 1,000 baht and started using it immediately with 1,000 baht available on the card. I was actually surprised, since I had also heard that there was a deposit, and was prepared to pay 2,000 baht, but no. Maybe they have changed the rules to attract more customers.

Edited by zakk9

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bought the m-pass card in addition to my easy pass card. rolleyes.gif Needed my passport to get it...hmmm... and the number of license plate.. I asked them if it was linked

and if I should inform them if I change cars.... Nope was the answer....blink.png

Rangsit toll booths are 'adjusted' to show the balance now, but not the charges, at least when I passed them, they fixed them last Saturday/Sunday 19-20th

It will probably take a while before the two systems are integrated, just hope it is before my window is blocked with all the electronic pass systems tongue.png

It will probably take a while before the two systems are integrated, just hope it is before my window is blocked with all the electronic pass systems tongue.png

If they have any intention of integrating the systems, the easiest way would have been to do that from the outset. They have had more than enough time, at least one and a half year from the new toll booths were opened on Road 7 until they launched the card. Thailand is one of the few countries in the world where the main purpose of transportation infrastructure is not to make it easier for people to move around.