Koh Tao: Trial opens for 2 accused of killing British tourists

webfact

From the Sky NEWS article linked above:

Police Colonel Cherdpong Chiewpreecha, superintendent of Investigation Police Division 8, said 17 cameras dotted along a road on the island had recorded pictures of the Britons.

From the Reuters dispatch earlier 22 JULY 2015:

Police Colonel Cherdpong Chiewpreecha, superintendent of Investigation Police Division 8, told the court 17 cameras dotted along a road on the island helped investigators trace the British pair's movements.

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/article/idUKKCN0PW03320150722

The Sky NEWS report lists no journalist nor source of their article.

Edited by JLCrab

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Sky NEWS article linked above:

Police Colonel Cherdpong Chiewpreecha, superintendent of Investigation Police Division 8, said 17 cameras dotted along a road on the island had recorded pictures of the Britons.

From the Reuters dispatch earlier 22 JULY 2015:

Police Colonel Cherdpong Chiewpreecha, superintendent of Investigation Police Division 8, told the court 17 cameras dotted along a road on the island helped investigators trace the British pair's movements.

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/article/idUKKCN0PW03320150722

The Sky NEWS report lists no journalist nor source of their article.

1/2 of the article seems to just be repeating stuff from last week

Does anyone know how far the small garden (where the hoe was kept) is from the log where they were sat singing songs?

Is it in shot? If so the prosecution will have footage of whoever grabbed the hoe.

I'm not sure but I think the log and the small garden are close together.

Attached is a photo of the "vegetable garden" showing its proximity to the beach and the In Touch resort. I think the log is on the left-hand side of the image on the beach itself. This photo also shows the tree where the hoe was allegedly found by the partially-blind beach cleaner "O" at 05:40 a.m. on the morning of September 15th, or so he testified in court.

post-222707-0-70801600-1437606244_thumb.

• Miller is then seen walking back towards Chopper Bar in a visibly drunken state, according to Pol.Col. Cherdpong. Miller can be seen punching the air with his right arm.
  • Miller arrives at Chopper Bar around 1:40 am to find it closed for the night. He then walks east into an alley, stopping to buy a pair of sunglasses at a convenience store, which he hangs on his shirt.
  • CCTV footage shows Miller turning back towards AC Bar again, which had a small crowd of foreign tourists gathered outside its entrance. Pol.Col. Cherdpong said he believes Miller was looking for a place to drink and was told by tourists that AC Bar is open late. He is seen entering the bar at around 2 am.

From Ibtimes:

David, 24, is filmed on two different cameras some half an hour apart. In the first taken at 1:27am he is alone, walking back through the busy street to the hotel where he was staying. When what appears to be a local man crosses his path they briefly shake hands as if they know each other, but then he keeps walking.

In the second piece of film, taken some 30 minutes later at 1:56am from the opposite direction of the same street, David is seen walking with two other Westerners, a man and a girl not thought to be Ms Witheridge. None of the other people have been positively identified. The film was obtained by Sky News.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/thailand-beach-murders-hannah-witheridge-4297320

On the CCTV shown in the above link David is seen at 1.56am walking down a street seemingly chatting to a group of people.Why is there no mention in the policeman's report of David walking down the street chatting with this group of people? Policeman says David entered AC bar around 2am so this was only a couple of minutes after David is with these people chatting. Who are they are what do they know? Would they be able to verify that David was in a 'visibly drunken state' ? Doesn't look in a drunken state from where I'm sitting. Also, as pointed out on another forum by an astute poster - is the policeman referring the the high five with the Asian man in the video when he says David is seen 'punching the air'?

This is why a defence team must have access to all the "material" evidence including "all" the footage from cctv cameras (not just what the prosecution has filtered out and presented in court) and all physical evidence including material used in DNA tests , both sides must be allowed to select and show what they believe will help their respective arguments in court.

Also, if the prosecution present dna tests or phone records of other people (not the accused) to the court in their case - the defence team must be given access to those also, it is as simple as that.

Koh Tao Trial Resumes, Court Shown Footage of Victims’ Final Night
By Khaosod English

14375739901437575050l.jpg
The defense team arrives at Koh Samui court on 22 July 2015.

SURAT THANI — Police presented a detailed timeline of the events leading up to the deaths of two British tourists on Koh Tao during the second session of the controversial murder trial.

Two 22-year-old Burmese men have been accused of murdering David Miller, 24, and raping and killing Hannah Witheridge, 23, on a beach on the southern island in September 2014. The suspects, Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo, are facing the death penalty in a trial taking place over 18 staggered days in a court on the neighboring island of Samui. The first session concluded on 10 July.

Today’s court hearing, which lasted for nearly 12 hours, saw only one witness: an investigative police officer chosen by the prosecution to present dozens of video clips culled from the footage of 300 CCTV cameras installed in the vicinity of the crime. The officer, Pol.Col. Cherdpong Chiewpreecha, said that only 100 of those cameras were operational, and 22 of them showed the movements of Witheridge and Miller on their final night.

Pol.Col. Cherdpong showed the court dozens of clips from the footage, which he said allowed police to construct the following timeline of events:

At around 10pm, Miller and Witheridge - who arrived on the island separately but were staying at the same hotel - join friends at Chopper Bar in the northern part of Sairee beach to watch a football match.

Witherige and three other British friends, named Emma, Matthew, and Tom, leave Chopper Bar at around midnight and head south towards AC bar, which they enter at around 12:30am.

According to Pol.Col. Cherdpong, Witheridge was not confronted, harassed, interrupted, or trailed by any suspicious individuals while she and the others walked to AC Bar. “I studied hundreds of hours of footage to make sure of that, Your Honor,” he said today, citing this as evidence that the murder was not premeditated.

At around the same time that Witheridge and the others entered AC Bar, Miller and his friend, Christopher, are seen leaving Chopper Bar and heading south towards AC bar.

The pair later separates, with Christopher stopping at a convenience store.
Miller is then seen walking past AC bar “and showing no intention to enter,” Pol.Col. Cherdpong told the court. Miller walks towards his hotel, where he presumably stays for around 20 minutes.

Miller is then seen walking back towards Chopper Bar in a visibly drunken state, according to Pol.Col. Cherdpong. Miller can be seen punching the air with his right arm.

Miller arrives at Chopper Bar around 1:40 am to find it closed for the night. He then walks east into an alley, stopping to buy a pair of sunglasses at a convenience store, which he hangs on his shirt.

CCTV footage shows Miller turning back towards AC Bar again, which had a small crowd of foreign tourists gathered outside its entrance. Pol.Col. Cherdpong said he believes Miller was looking for a place to drink and was told by tourists that AC Bar is open late. He is seen entering the bar at around 2 am.

There was no more footage of Miller and Witheridge, who police believe left AC Bar through a back exit onto the beach. AC Bar is one of the few bars that opens directly onto the beach, according to Pol.Col. Cherdpong. The officer said footage obtained from the entrance of the bar did not show any sign of Miller and Witheridge.

Pol.Col. Cherdpong did not comment further on the fate of the three friends seen with Witheridge. He said that Miller’s friend Christopher was briefly detained after the murder, but later released without charges.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1437573990

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-23

• Miller is then seen walking back towards Chopper Bar in a visibly drunken state, according to Pol.Col. Cherdpong. Miller can be seen punching the air with his right arm.

'Visibly drunken state'!!!!!! Let's see it so we can accept this statement! Why was there only a selection of footage shown to the public? Why not this one? Maybe David was buying sunglasses because someone had stolen his or he had broken/lost them. Maybe he was punching the air because of some football game result as men are prone to do when sober as well as when drunk! GRRRR so angry about all this. Is the court supposed to believe that all the footage available has been shown by this policeman who it seems all alone to have watched hundreds of hours of it and came to his own conclusions?

I wonder if this refers to the CCTV footage of David "high-fiving" or shaking hands with the man in the No. 9 football shirt? David and Chris Ware had watched a Manchester United football game in Choppers bar earlier in the evening, which I believe Man Utd won. As he and Chris Ware were both supporters, no doubt that could have been why David was in high spirits. In all the CCTV footage of David that has been shown in the press, he doesn't look drunk at all.

My opininion only the way I look at this is the judge can see that many holes in the prosecutions side he has enough info now to hint that the B2 are not guilty .

To many people watching this one , I know this is Thailand and corruption reigns but watch this space.

'Visibly drunken state'!!!!!! Let's see it so we can accept this statement! Why was there only a selection of footage shown to the public? Why not this one? Maybe David was buying sunglasses because someone had stolen his or he had broken/lost them. Maybe he was punching the air because of some football game result as men are prone to do when sober as well as when drunk! GRRRR so angry about all this. Is the court supposed to believe that all the footage available has been shown by this policeman who it seems all alone to have watched hundreds of hours of it and came to his own conclusions?

So what if he was drunk, that's not a excuse for him to be brutally murdered.

If this trial had any kind of credibility at all then the policeman who gave evidence would gladly hand over the hundreds of hours of cctv to the defense team so that they could double check it. Also it seems very fish that only a third of cameras 100/300 were working that night.. I find the story that 200 cameras simply out of action very hard to believe

My opininion only the way I look at this is the judge can see that many holes in the prosecutions side he has enough info now to hint that the B2 are not guilty .

To many people watching this one , I know this is Thailand and corruption reigns but watch this space.

I agree that they didn't allow for social media and it's plainly obvious that a hole is getting deeper. However I'm still waiting for any sign of a case put forward by the prosecution. The selective ctv and DNA supposedly available does not show signs of a remotely strong case. The worry is how are they going to get out of it without a massive loss of face . The judge I'm sure knows this and unless something startling comes out which I can't believe the RTP are in possession off its going to be a interesting 1 month between the next session. JTJ has tried to persuade me that the prosecution case is just building foundations. Well I'm sorry but you wouldn't put up a tent on the foundation case put forward up to now. As I have said before the best defence at the moment is the prosecution. Edited by Nigeone

As a footnote I think the anger and interest shown on here and elsewear is magnified as we all know to an extent how evidence and trials are gathered and presented. In this case there's too many wrong procedures from day one and continued from then for a person of any sort of intelligence not to be galvanized into voicing a opinion. Too many bullets to fire I'm afraid . I have never imagined that in these days that a law enforcement agency could be so amateurish and downright crooked.

Edited by Nigeone

• Miller arrives at Chopper Bar around 1:40 am to find it closed for the night. He then walks east into an alley, stopping to buy a pair of sunglasses at a convenience store, which he hangs on his shirt.
  • CCTV footage shows Miller turning back towards AC Bar again, which had a small crowd of foreign tourists gathered outside its entrance. Pol.Col. Cherdpong said he believes Miller was looking for a place to drink and was told by tourists that AC Bar is open late. He is seen entering the bar at around 2 am.

From Ibtimes:

David, 24, is filmed on two different cameras some half an hour apart. In the first taken at 1:27am he is alone, walking back through the busy street to the hotel where he was staying. When what appears to be a local man crosses his path they briefly shake hands as if they know each other, but then he keeps walking.

In the second piece of film, taken some 30 minutes later at 1:56am from the opposite direction of the same street, David is seen walking with two other Westerners, a man and a girl not thought to be Ms Witheridge. None of the other people have been positively identified. The film was obtained by Sky News.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/thailand-beach-murders-hannah-witheridge-4297320

On the CCTV shown in the above link David is seen at 1.56am walking down a street seemingly chatting to a group of people.Why is there no mention in the policeman's report of David walking down the street chatting with this group of people? Policeman says David entered AC bar around 2am so this was only a couple of minutes after David is with these people chatting. Who are they are what do they know? Would they be able to verify that David was in a 'visibly drunken state' ? Doesn't look in a drunken state from where I'm sitting. Also, as pointed out on another forum by an astute poster - is the policeman referring the the high five with the Asian man in the video when he says David is seen 'punching the air'?

This is why a defence team must have access to all the "material" evidence including "all" the footage from cctv cameras (not just what the prosecution has filtered out and presented in court) and all physical evidence including material used in DNA tests , both sides must be allowed to select and show what they believe will help their respective arguments in court.

Also, if the prosecution present dna tests or phone records of other people (not the accused) to the court in their case - the defence team must be given access to those also, it is as simple as that

The more i read, the more i am convinced that the RTP are attempting to manipulate evidence for their own gain.

You do realize both a guilty and non-guilty verdict can be appealed. How does the judge believing neither side will accept the verdict without a fight, if not in their favor, indicate a sick show?

Amazingly yes I do realize that, my opinion still stands

So far we have seen two people on CCTV that the RTP said were David and Hannah, clearly they were not David or Hannah.

We have seen CCTV of someone who looks like Nomsod who Mon has admitted to it being him, yet a policeman says it is a small man.

We have seen footage of David and Hannah.

We have yet to see any CCTV of the Burmese.

A man who cannot tell the difference between a taller skinny man who we are meant to believe is a middle aged older man, who we are meant to believe is a small Burmese man.......... this is the man we are meant to believe ?

A small man? There is a island of small men... What is small you ask? Under 6 ft. Advanced apologies to any members where this shoe fits.

From Ibtimes:

Also, if the prosecution present dna tests or phone records of other people (not the accused) to the court in their case - the defence team must be given access to those also, it is as simple as that

The more i read, the more i am convinced that the RTP are attempting to manipulate evidence for their own gain.

one of my points above applies to court cases and judicial process the world over and is fundamental

If either defence or (in this case) prosecution introduce evidence and testimony that includes someone who is not directly involved in the case (nomsod) then that testimony and any claimed evidence must be presented to the (in this case) the defence for scrutiny, that means the prosecution are now obligated to hand over all dna material and tests plus the phone records relating to Nomsod

They introduced it, now it is an official part of these proceedings...........or it should be if the Thai system is anything close to international standards

Have a look fellas. He was dressed for school that morning, never made it to class! Or was late as balls.

What is your agenda here , CSI LA has been spreading spreading gossip all day long. That doesnt prove anything about Nomsod and where he went the times he was not attending class. He had a girlfriend at that time , he was in Bangkok , living his student life.

My agenda? True Justice, nothing more. None of the evidence you just cited is going to work I'm afraid, because none of it can be verified by anyone other than RTP. It's the furthest thing from a transparent investigation, and you know that. If it's a rumor why pay so much attention to it?

Anyone remember this snippet:

A CCTV video of a woman running near the scene is described but not released. Police say it could be of a witness to the double murder, a suspect or of Miss Witheridge herself.

Reported September 20th, source http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2764038/Did-Thai-murder-victims-argue-island-gangster-hour-brutally-killed-Locals-claim-no-one-speak-scared.html.

Anyone think the court will ever see this? It does not fit well with the sneak attack on David theory does it?

A much earlier claim was made, to get all the ducks lined up, was that Hannah shared some cigarettes with the Burmese. This enabled her DNA to be "discovered" on a cigarette butt. Her family and friends claim she had never in her life smoked cigarettes ! Now the big question is: where are all those interpreters who have fled the court??

"Her family and friends claim she had never in her life smoked cigarettes !"

A point I made just a few days ago. If she didn't smoke, how is it that there are recent claims that her DNA might be on one (or more) of the cig butts discovered near the log where the B2 were sitting?

Planted...

The way this crime was investigated there would be no problem in getting a swab from the victims mouth to "enhance evidence"...

The RTP already said in court during the earlier sessions that they had obtained swabs from the victims' mouths, presumably when the bodies were still on the beach. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Well it's significant here in this way: Thais always have to have some underlying thing to blame other than the guilty person.. And example of this is when a rapist is caught they always mentioned "He had drink some beer and felt aroused" and collectively everyone says "Oh I see it was the alcohol that cause this, not the person"..... 10 years sentence reduced to 3 and dude will be out. Bit of a generalization? Sure, it happens often enough.

Can this be verified or do we just have their say so again?

We may not like it, but it is fairly convincing. These are not records the RTP can "lose" or "use up". I have tended to discount Nomsod as a suspect for a while, and this increases my impression that he was not involved.

I guess you did'nt see the obviously photo shopped pics of Nomsod entering the uni did you ?

4 days now and still not heard or seen anything coming from the court and prosecution that remotely proves the B2 are guilty..

Sketchy at best corrupt by RTP and authorities looking even more likely. This whole episode is so sad. Still no undeniable conclusive issue presented by police that can't be challenged or discounted.

Not that there is any evidence or proof the state will provide that will be offered that will not be discounted by many here, it would be unusual for a Prosecutor to start the case with their strongest evidence. The early days are about building up the foundation of the case and various facts that will (should) be tied together later.

Also. you are not there to hear everything and the people mainly volunteering information to the press are on the defense side and the news outlets covering the court case are sharing very little about the actual proceedings. Not like we are going to here gavel to gavel coverage here being the proceeding are in Thai and Thailand where trials are not covered like the west or often video taped like the US. Kind of normal for something to be big news when it happens, when there is an arrest and then when there is a verdict and then less coverage, but still some, when it comes to the appeals and commutations.

I haven't even seen the court case being covered in the Thai Language news and if it is it isn't considered much of news. Again this is SOP here but it will make the news again once there is a disposition but it won't be to the extend of the original coverage up through the arrest.

Highlighted items above

I think you'll find the prosecution started their case on the 8th July, first day of the trial with what they thought was their strongest evidence. Reports from the DNA with no means for verification and the defense still waiting for access to the promised items.

Yes very true, the court system in Thailand is designed that way so we don't hear everything and have to wait for the official transcript from the judge, thankfully we are getting reports despite this which you also are latching on to quite vigorously

The first section of the trial starting on the 8th July was covered extensively in the Thai press, for some reason they've decided to stop that blanket reporting, I have my thoughts on the reasons why as do many other people. Goes hand in hand with the lack of available translators

We may not like it, but it is fairly convincing. These are not records the RTP can "lose" or "use up". I have tended to discount Nomsod as a suspect for a while, and this increases my impression that he was not involved.

I guess you did'nt see the obviously photo shopped pics of Nomsod entering the uni did you ?

That's the thing, Anyone who was innocent and facing backlash would release many, many videos to support their alibi, yet we have one sub 20 second clip? Where are all his friends who have selfies or remember a class with him that day? Where is all of this? Why is it conveniently just a tiny amount of evidence that nobody can verify?

I think we all know why.

Edited by Darkknight666

It has been reported that the prosecution is claiming that the "running man" in the key CCTV footage is one of the Burmese kids (both short even by Burmese standards). This is what they look like:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/07/1412694825626_wps_5_KO_TAO_THAILAND_OCTOBER_0.jpg

This is the best available picture of the running man (probably not shown in court):

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/09/20/article-2763277-2184B15500000578-954_634x655.jpg

See the resemblance? Me neither.

No. I have seen stills from the CCTV footage claimed to be from the lobby of Nomsod's room on the morning of September 15, but recall no photo evidence presented from the university. This is interesting. Please share.

4 days now and still not heard or seen anything coming from the court and prosecution that remotely proves the B2 are guilty..

Sketchy at best corrupt by RTP and authorities looking even more likely. This whole episode is so sad. Still no undeniable conclusive issue presented by police that can't be challenged or discounted.

Where in the hell is Jeffrey Robinson when hes id so badly needed. A defensive lawyer such as him would have these RTP guys "on toast" by now.

Well it's significant here in this way: Thais always have to have some underlying thing to blame other than the guilty person.. And example of this is when a rapist is caught they always mentioned "He had drink some beer and felt aroused" and collectively everyone says "Oh I see it was the alcohol that cause this, not the person"..... 10 years sentence reduced to 3 and dude will be out. Bit of a generalization? Sure, it happens often enough.

Yes, I do see that a lot, the police often make these unnecessary statements and you feel like they are somehow trying to alleviate some blame:

Police said the vehicle went out of control as there had been heavy rain and low visibility......AND HE WAS DRIVING TOO FAST AND RECKLESSLY FOR THE CONDITIONS.

And yes, as mentioned above, every would be sexual deviant or thief is always quoted as having had some alcohol and lost control of their will. I always feel when i read such statements: ANd? IS this some lame excuse?

Embelleshing the idea, or underlining the fact that David was in a drunken state does in this instance almost seems like the same thing in reverse.

No. I have seen stills from the CCTV footage claimed to be from the lobby of Nomsod's room on the morning of September 15, but recall no photo evidence presented from the university. This is interesting. Please share.

Not to be a doubting Thomas, but you'll probably find that what is being referred to is actually the same pics of him entering the apartment you've already seen, don't hold your breath.

That's the thing, Anyone who was innocent and facing backlash would release many, many videos to support their alibi, yet we have one sub 20 second clip? Where are all his friends who have selfies or remember a class with him that day? Where is all of this? Why is it conveniently just a tiny amount of evidence that nobody can verify?

I think we all know why.

The best investigation into the CCTV footage at Nomsod's room (which was the best alibi publicly advanced) was done by Thai PBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Z1zEjDj7I#t=101.

The commentary is in Thai, but you can get the gist without understanding the Thai. If you trust the journalists, they were allowed to examine full footage from all cameras for the period from very early morning until Nomsod was allegedly seen leaving at 9:16 am. There are ways this might be faked, but no evidence of that has been forthcoming.