Banana theft rampant in Phichit

webfact

Banana theft rampant in Phichit

PHICHIT, 9 July 2015 (NNT) – More than 100 farmers in Phichit's Bung Na Rang District have fallen victim to banana thieves in just one month, in a development that puts more strain on the paddy farmers turned banana growers.

Police from Bung Na Rang Police Station yesterday inspected the many sites of banana theft in Laem Rang sub-district in response to multiple complaints recently lodged by locals that a large quantity of their bananas have been stolen. Some farmers have had their bananas stolen as many as 6-7 times this year. Locals said the thieves have been taking ripe bananas as well as banana blossoms and the leaves of banana trees.

According to Suan Sukyam, sub-district chief for Laem Rang Sub-district, banana theft has become a serious issue because bananas provide local farmers with their only source of income during the dry season. Recently, 7-8 farmers have been reporting banana theft per day on average, and the amount of unreported theft was also significant. In the past one month, some 100 banana growers have reported theft.

The police, banana growers, village headmen, sub-district administrations and volunteers from the villages are now holding joint patrols of banana plantations at night. Road checkpoints have also been set up to prevent theft of bananas and farming equipment. The checkpoints also serve another function as ones for officials conducting drug searches as well.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-09 footer_n.gif

In Oz, we have cattle theft from remote, and very large, properties. In Thailand they have banana rustlers. Things are REALLY different here.

BTW while passing thru Coff's, I told my Thai wife that I was going to show her the Big Banana. She was surprised that it was a building.

In Oz, we have cattle theft from remote, and very large, properties. In Thailand they have banana rustlers. Things are REALLY different here.

BTW while passing thru Coff's, I told my Thai wife that I was going to show her the Big Banana. She was surprised that it was a building.

You would have to be careful who you said that to in Thailand, saying you were going to show them the "big banana"............whistling.gif

So this is why so many farmers prefer to grow rice. It must be very difficult to steal rice from the paddy.

RFID chips are very cheap so place them among the ripe bananas and let the police catch them at regular traffic checkpoints.

As if the weather weren't enough hardship for the farmers.

Yea, if it's not close to the house or fenced in my friends don't want to grow bananas, corn or any other crop that is tooooo easy for the thieves to just carry of with.

They have a fruit orchard (about 200 trees: durian, jackfruit, rambutan, gandaria and more) that is usually well protected with their house in the front, barbwire on the sides, and Ping river in the back but now with the low water level they sleep in the orchard just to be sure!

A 30/30 with a good scope will stop this and the word will get around !!

We had the same problem with Coconuts and Mangos, as soon as the product is getting ripe you have to camp out and watch your property !!

I wish I could find the locals who regularly raid my bananas, jack fruit, dragon fruit - even coconuts from my small garden plot. Even if I caught them, I don't know if the penalty for trespass and theft would stop them. Does anyone have an answer? The village headman said he could get me a weapon permit, but I think that may be just a tad too radical.

one example left hanging from a tree with a sign attached that he was caught stealing. then post signs no tresspassing , property protected by m-16 , surviors will be turned over to dealt with by police. a randon shot ever now and then keeps people alert also.

like the old hunters out on the prowl, one cut loose a few times but retuned to camp empty handed, when asked what his target had been his response'' one small hog , not sure about the rest as they were sound shots

one example left hanging from a tree with a sign attached that he was caught stealing. then post signs no tresspassing , property protected by m-16 , surviors will be turned over to dealt with by police. a randon shot ever now and then keeps people alert also.

like the old hunters out on the prowl, one cut loose a few times but retuned to camp empty handed, when asked what his target had been his response'' one small hog , not sure about the rest as they were sound shots

Now you're talking. smile.png

I knew an oyster farmer in Tasmania who was suffering constant theft of mature stock. He decided to camp out on the hill overlooking his farm with a friend. His friend was a high powered rifle and he didn't hesitate to fire a few warning rounds in the direction of the thieves when they came at night. The police paid him a visit the next day and he denied any knowledge. The police never charged him with anything but the word soon got around and the theft stopped.

So this is why so many farmers prefer to grow rice. It must be very difficult to steal rice from the paddy.

RFID chips are very cheap so place them among the ripe bananas and let the police catch them at regular traffic checkpoints.

Fried banana chips are quite cheap and every now and again I get an especially crispy one.

What do you suggest the farmers track the stolen chipped bananas with, a tractor?

Fried banana chips are quite cheap and every now and again I get an especially crispy one.

What do you suggest the farmers track the stolen chipped bananas with, a tractor?

If you had bothered to read my post with comprehension, you would have noticed that I said police would be looking for active chips at regular traffic checkpoints. If your tractor comment was supposed to be funny, you failed; your chip joke was better but juvenile.

All the stores in Dallas have lightweight sensors at their exits, that sound an alarm if a RFID chip passes by that hasn't been deactivated, to stop shoplifting. They work from as far away as 10 meters. In problem areas, the police could set up a small detector in the middle of the road when they do their normal 'safety' stops and question/identify anyone with active chips in bananas. The chips are tiny so it would be difficult for thieves to find and remove them from stolen bananas. If the alarm goes off, someone has stolen bananas as the chips haven't been deactivated. No extra police work needed. I would hazard to guess that the banana thieves wouldn't even realize how they were caught so couldn't take precautions. The chips are versatile enough to inform which field or farm they come from so the stolen produce could be returned to the rightful owner.

Are you one of those people can who only see problems and, therefore, can't see solutions?

If you can get a permit, you should get a rifle with night scope. Shoot to take out a chunk of ear, that would be a clear message to the perps...and if your aim isn't so good who cares!

Some farmers have had their bananas stolen as many as 6-7 times this year.

In the 21st century this is so trivial to solve. Just put up a trail camera with a sim card in it and all will become clear in real time. Instead they choose a prone to failure dark ages approach "volunteers from the villages are now holding joint patrols of banana plantations at night". They are making it too easy for the thieves. It's no wonder it's a problem.

Edited by canopy

If you had bothered to read my post with comprehension, you would have noticed that I said police would be looking for active chips at regular traffic checkpoints. If your tractor comment was supposed to be funny, you failed; your chip joke was better but juvenile.

All the stores in Dallas have lightweight sensors at their exits, that sound an alarm if a RFID chip passes by that hasn't been deactivated, to stop shoplifting. They work from as far away as 10 meters. In problem areas, the police could set up a small detector in the middle of the road when they do their normal 'safety' stops and question/identify anyone with active chips in bananas. The chips are tiny so it would be difficult for thieves to find and remove them from stolen bananas. If the alarm goes off, someone has stolen bananas as the chips haven't been deactivated. No extra police work needed. I would hazard to guess that the banana thieves wouldn't even realize how they were caught so couldn't take precautions. The chips are versatile enough to inform which field or farm they come from so the stolen produce could be returned to the rightful owner.

Are you one of those people can who only see problems and, therefore, can't see solutions?

You are quite right, I did not read it properly.

It was just too silly.

I was stopped on my way back recently, ooh,the police didn't scan the bananas in my truck, they also didn't check my licence, my tyres or anything actually, not even sure why they stopped me.

Dallas isn't in Thailand!

It was just too silly.

I was stopped on my way back recently, ooh,the police didn't scan the bananas in my truck, they also didn't check my licence, my tyres or anything actually, not even sure why they stopped me.

Dallas is as far from Thailand as one can get; both geographically and culturally.

Again, if you had read my post with a modicum of comprehension, you would have noted two things: First, it was a suggestion, and Second, I wrote the the police could do it; not that they would or take anyone's advise.

Since you haven't any ideas for a solution, you pick apart other's suggestions. Are you the nit-picker type? It is always easier to criticize than to create.

I'm bored with you on this thread so I probably won't respond...

It was just too silly.

Dallas is as far from Thailand as one can get; both geographically and culturally.

Again, if you had read my post with a modicum of comprehension, you would have noted two things: First, it was a suggestion, and Second, I wrote the the police could do it; not that they would or take anyone's advise.

Since you haven't any ideas for a solution, you pick apart other's suggestions. Are you the nit-picker type? It is always easier to criticize than to create.

A suggestion should be realistic, we could take yours to the extremes of fantasy and suggest they track the bananas using a helicopter and infra red!

I think they should try to stop them being stolen in the first place, the farmer may spend a few nights in a shack on the land with the dog.

They should harvest them as soon as they are ready too.... harvest them too soon and they will never turn yellow, but I believe the indications of readiness are obvious to the locals, something to do with the shape or falling of the black bits at the end. The problem is that the trees are not necessary coming ripe together, as happens at my Mrs place.....

The village police might take a look through a few markets to see who is selling a lot of bananas or banana products. Or get out and about asking a few questions. (Optimistic) It isn't their job to set up traffic checkpoints on the main roads. Informing the traffic police around the area to be on the 'lookout' for a truck loaded with bananas might be beneficial.

They need to be on the lookout for a few men (or a bunch of them) and a truck most likely, those bunches of bananas are heavy.

There is another juvenile pun for you to grouch at!

Edited by jacko45k

It was just too silly.

A suggestion should be realistic, we could take yours to the extremes of fantasy and suggest they track the bananas using a helicopter and infra red!

I think they should try to stop them being stolen in the first place, the farmer may spend a few nights in a shack on the land with the dog.

They should harvest them as soon as they are ready too.... harvest them too soon and they will never turn yellow, but I believe the indications of readiness are obvious to the locals, something to do with the shape or falling of the black bits at the end. The problem is that the trees are not necessary coming ripe together, as happens at my Mrs place.....

The police might take a look through a few markets to see who is selling a lot of bananas or banana products. Get get out and about asking a few questions. It isn't their job to set up traffic checkpoints on the main roads. Informing the traffic police around the area to be on the 'lookout' for a truck loaded with bananas might be beneficial too.

I would have thought Dallas Police had better things to do too.

Who mentioned Dallas Police? What are you smoking?

Are you a professional nit picker or just a gifted amateur?

Reply for others to read. Since you have absolutely nothing positive to say, I've put you on my 'ignore' list and won't be seeing any more of your posts. You won't be missed.