Trial opens for journalists charged with defaming Thai navy

webfact

I don't know but I think a lot of People (especialy in the english speaking world) don't understand the law for "Freedom of Speaking"!!!

This don't give you the right to write bullshit and UNTRUE articles about another. If the article is TRUE, everything must be proovable. So the journalist can give all names from the involved navy staff to the court.

But if him can't him has a problem because him wrote bullshit about the navy.

Didn't know the Navy has paid trolls nowadays!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan Morison fears he won’t survive jail if found guilty

Michael Sainsbury in Bangkok News Corp Australia Network July 13, 2015 9:04AM

206552-be23b33e-2827-11e5-be35-a2b980ed0

AN AUSTRALIAN journalist facing a lengthy prison term for allegedly defaming the Thai army in an expose on people smugglers in Thailand fears he will not survive in jail should he be convicted following his trial this week. Alan Morison, 67, is concerned he will be forced into a crowded cell on the Thai island of Phuket where up to 300 underfed men are forced to sleep on their sides.

He and his Thai colleague will face court over defamation and computer crime charges tomorrow and a verdict is expected to take a month.

http://www.news.com.au/national/alan-morison-facing-court-this-week-over-reporting-on-corruption-in-thailand-fears-he-wont-survive-jail-if-found-guilty/story-fncynjr2-1227439205836

Edited by Morakot

Jim Walker

'another Thailand trial for the world to watch'.....What world? In the country where I live...I have never heard mention of this story, nor anything about the murder of the young English couple and certainly nothing about the trial. I seem to remember something about the Aus surrogate business. It hit the news for a few minutes. But most of these things only interest people who live in Thailand or the countries of the foreigner concerned. I only know because of this forum. Most people in most countries aren't at all interested in what goes on in the rest of the world.

What country do you live?

"....fears he will not survive in jail should he be convicted following his trial this week...."

and a so called intelligent man didn't think of that before he took on the Thai system?

the old goat does look incredibly frail, prison won't do him any favours.

Edited by Seelow

Australian and Thai journalists on trial for human trafficking report

Oliver Holmes in Bangkok Tuesday 14 July 2015 06.27 BST

3120.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

“It says a lot about the future of media freedom in Thailand,” Alan Morison tells the Guardian.

An Australian website editor and his reporter colleague faced criminal defamation charges in a Thai court on Tuesday for reporting on Thai naval officers’ alleged involvement in the trafficking of Burmese Rohingya migrants. Alan Morison, editor of independent news website Phuketwan, and reporter Chutima Sidasathian face up to seven years in jail and thousands of US dollars in fines if found guilty. Speaking to the Guardian just before he entered court, Morison, 67, called the trial “a vindictive reaction on the part of one or two officers” and said the case – widely condemned by human rights and media freedom groups – has damaged Thailand’s reputation.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/14/australian-and-thai-journalists-on-trial-for-human-trafficking-report

I don't know but I think a lot of People (especialy in the english speaking world) don't understand the law for "Freedom of Speaking"!!!

This don't give you the right to write bullshit and UNTRUE articles about another. If the article is TRUE, everything must be proovable. So the journalist can give all names from the involved navy staff to the court.

So easy is it!!!

If you want to see someone who's writing bullshit look no further than your own mirror. You clearly don't understand Thai Defamation laws based on what you've posted. In LOS any person can sue another for defamation, even if what the defendant has written is 100% true. The deciding factor is whether what the defendant has written and published has damaged the 'reputation' of the plaintiff. This law (and the threat of it) is very often used by the unlawful rich/powerful to suppress criticism or damaging accusations.

"....fears he will not survive in jail should he be convicted following his trial this week...."

and a so called intelligent man didn't think of that before he took on the Thai system?

the old goat does look incredibly frail, prison won't do him any favours.

Some people have the balls to stand up to the establishment c***s regardless of consequence.

Another Thailand trial for the world to watch and to learn all about true democracy and the proper way to have freedom of speech in a Junta run Thailand. By a Thai navy who are even frightened at words never mind bullets Booooooooooooooo!

You do know this started already before the junta?

What does that have to do with the present topic? This is about the navy under the junta taking journalists to court.

Do wish you junta-lovers would stop referring back to previous governments. Two wrongs don't make a right.

this Phuketwan site is just a farang sugar daddy retired journalist entertains himself with a help of his Thai wife. Like sugar daddies wannabe-bikers entertain themselves with choppers (and Thai wife is also helping... for a bit of cash, of course whistling.gif ) but his game took him too far...

this is not Australia. he is just a guest here. he forgot this and tried to influence politics.

now he is gonna pay for it...

If Thai boys where spanked as kids for being little sh|ts instead of given free reign to be sh|ts... I think Thailand would be a completely different place....

oh yeah, we can look on happy free countries like Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar where long hands of misters in pith helmets like you were able to reach kids at schools.

Edited by TimmyT

Jim Walker

'another Thailand trial for the world to watch'.....What world? In the country where I live...I have never heard mention of this story, nor anything about the murder of the young English couple and certainly nothing about the trial. I seem to remember something about the Aus surrogate business. It hit the news for a few minutes. But most of these things only interest people who live in Thailand or the countries of the foreigner concerned. I only know because of this forum. Most people in most countries aren't at all interested in what goes on in the rest of the world.

Yes but it will be reported back to the governments of the countries that matter by their embassies. You think the governments in the rest of the world don't get a daily report of the goings on here from their diplomats?

So easy is it!!!

snowgard, I am guessing you are Thai, probably part of the hotshot military computer experts who keeps an eye on computer crime. thing is love, try reading a bit of voltaire or something. you have the right to write what you like. you have the right to say what you want. you have the right to think what you want. perhaps you missed voltaire and went all 1984.

its ok to write bullshit and untrue things . it need not be provable. the journalist however would lose credibility if anything reported ( in his original report he carried out for Reuters) is found to be unsubstantiated. credibility , which would be everything to a journalist. see things leave a trail, not Thai type trail where evidence lost or used up and decision made long time before trial, I mean real trails.

Reuters would not risk losing its credibility by running a story that did not have evidence - comprende?

to the likes of you love and the rest of the face savers I guess it does not translate or perhaps some one with bettter grasp of thai than me can say different.

DennisF

France

jesemps

I agree entirely. Well let's say that they know. But that doesn't mean that it gets passed on to the people. It doesn't but of course it should. At the moment it's the holidays and the news is 10 minutes about the traffic jams on the way to the Cote d'Azur, or the terrible bushfires, or the celebrations for the 14th July. Who the hell is interested in some pisspotting country somewhere in SE Asia. Most people are only interested in what goes on in their own backyard.

Edited by Gillyflower

this Phuketwan site is just a farang sugar daddy retired journalist entertains himself with a help of his Thai wife. Like sugar daddies wannabe-bikers entertain themselves with choppers (and Thai wife is also helping... for a bit of cash, of course whistling.gif ) but his game took him too far...

this is not Australia. he is just a guest here. he forgot this and tried to influence politics.

now he is gonna pay for it...

If Thai boys where spanked as kids for being little sh|ts instead of given free reign to be sh|ts... I think Thailand would be a completely different place....

oh yeah, we can look on happy free countries like Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar where long hands of misters in pith helmets like you were able to reach kids at schools.

Hey Einstein, it was Reuters that wrote the article, his site just did a copy and paste.

How could it be defame, as in de-fame to take away fame, like defang. How can one take fame away from organization that has no fame to begin with? And navy hasn't helped it's fame lately, what with sub scam.....

its ok to write bullshit and untrue things .

the best quote of the day!

...and so fitting for...oh, never mind!

You've shown us your soul, by gloating about the old man, having to pay for his brazenness...you know, the part where you call him a sugardaddy (stay classy) and reminded him, that he is just a guets in Thailand (stay fresh and exciting).

snowgard: I suggest you learn to write English before you criticize English speakers. Maybe some of things you think you understand in reality you dont due to limited knowledge of the English language.