Pheu Thai Watana vents anger at junta for overseas travel ban

Lite Beer

Pheu Thai Watana vents anger at junta for overseas travel ban

17-7-2558-12-29-16-wpcf_728x411.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former commerce minister Watana Muangsook vented his anger on Friday after he found out that he was banned by the National Council for Peace and Order from leaving the country for 90 days until September 18 after which his case will be reconsidered.

In a written statement under the headline “One year that is more than a waste” which was made available on Friday, the Pheu Thai Party’s core member said that the NCPO’s thinking and working systems were so pathetic that he was not surprised that so much damages had been rendered to the country during their administration.

Citing economic performance, Watana said the NCPO had failed completely in all economic aspects with export and consumption slump, no new investments and less than half of government’s spending was actually disbursed.

“Mind you, this is a dictatorial government without the opposition and it has achieved just that. How can’t I criticise them. The country is not a training ground for you people and do not ever claim we owe you. You people who do not want to return the power to the people,” said Mr Watana in his statement.

Citing reconciliation and internal peace, the former minister said that stopping people to talk and to express their opinions through the barrel of the gun will not lead to sustainable peace.

He accused the government of lacking understanding of international affairs, citing the deportation of a group of Uighur migrants to China which, he said, has drawn worldwide condemnation to the extent that Thai embassies abroad had to issue warnings to Thai people overseas to be cautious while being outdoor.

Travelling is the birth right of every individual, said the former minister who then questioned the junta whether they were ever taught about human rights. He described as foolish the overseas travel ban simply because he criticized the junta.

Mr Watana insisted that he would continue to express his views despite the overseas travel ban and that he would not bow to the unelected powers.

(Photo : Thai PBS File)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pheu-thai-watana-vents-anger-at-junta-for-overseas-travel-ban

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-17

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He is right, of course: the economic management has been a disaster ( and mostly unrelated to the issues in China). This will come as no surprise to those who have followed the Thai economy over the years.

Junta Bars Pheu Thai Politician From Leaving Country
BY Khaosod English

14371110091437111054l.jpg
Thailand's junta is chaired by Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, pictured here speaking to reporters at Government House in Bangkok on 9 July 2015

BANGKOK — A top leader of the Pheu Thai Party said the ruling military junta has denied his application for an overseas trip.

According to former Pheu Thai MP Wattana Muangsuk, junta officials said he was barred from leaving the country because he has been criticizing the regime through interviews with the media. The officials reportedly told him he could file another request on 18 September.

"I listened to them and could not help feeling pathetic about their methods of thinking and working," said Wattana, whose party led the elected government that was toppled by the junta in May 2014.

"I am not surprised that these people, who seized power from the people, have managed to cause so much damage to the country under their administration over the past year."

The junta had not commented on the incident at the time of publication.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1437111009

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-17

"the former minister said that stopping people to talk and to express their opinions through the barrel of the gun will not lead to sustainable peace"

I bet Suthep is smirking when reading this. It is what the red shirts did to his protestors in 2013/14.

Watana is right though as it does not lead to sustainable peace which is exactly why the military had to step in.

Well done for inadvertently justifying the coup.

"the former minister said that stopping people to talk and to express their opinions through the barrel of the gun will not lead to sustainable peace"

I bet Suthep is smirking when reading this. It is what the red shirts did to his protestors in 2013/14.

Watana is right though as it does not lead to sustainable peace which is exactly why the military had to step in.

Well done for proving once and for all what a brown shirt you are....coffee1.gif

The junta really had the best opportunity that anyone before him have had in Thailand to finally end the poverty, raise the education levels, drastically increase road safety, much less political conflicts, lower the public sector`s debt, lower the private sector`s debt, increasing international trade, infrastructure, but he blew it. What a shame. It looked so promising when he talked in the beginning, but it`s just been talk. Thailand is living in an illusion. He have actually barely done anything, but instead getting Thailand and Thai`s into a decline with more debt from ridiculous "loan-favors" and new bailouts for farmers, when the reality is a more expensive currency, lower export demand, lower domestic market demand, lower demand from manufacturers, manufacturers are paying farmers less, increased retail prices, increased corporate taxes, losing industry-competition with other Asian countries and house and vehicle prices has increased even more.

Thailand will sooner or later have to react, but the longer it take, the more suffering the people will have to go through.

The junta really had the best opportunity that anyone before him have had in Thailand to finally end the poverty, raise the education levels, drastically increase road safety, much less political conflicts, lower the public sector`s debt, lower the private sector`s debt, increasing international trade, infrastructure, but he blew it. What a shame. It looked so promising when he talked in the beginning, but it`s just been talk. Thailand is living in an illusion. He have actually barely done anything, but instead getting Thailand and Thai`s into a decline with more debt from ridiculous "loan-favors" and new bailouts for farmers, when the reality is a more expensive currency, lower export demand, lower domestic market demand, lower demand from manufacturers, manufacturers are paying farmers less, increased retail prices, increased corporate taxes, losing industry-competition with other Asian countries and house and vehicle prices has increased even more.

Thailand will sooner or later have to react, but the longer it take, the more suffering the people will have to go through.

Why didn't he make everybody rich in 6 months? That should be easy compared to all the other problems you would like solved virtually overnight.

You might try world news. There's a few other countries having economic problems at the moment.

555...let 'em have it with both barrels Mr. Watana Muangsook. Love some of his remarks and points he makes.

I'm afraid he is due to disappear into the ether with those remarks. Instead of an "attitude adjustment" he might be looking at an "attitude termination".

Our current leader was extremely patient & gave the Phua Thai party plenty of time to put their house in order, even right up to the last hour before the Coup, he was still trying to get them to bridge their differences & come to some consensus with the opposition parties.

He also warned more than once, that if he had to come out from the barracks, it would be for a long time, so as far as I can see it, these people brought it upon themselves, by continuing to operate the country like it was a circus sideshow for as long as they did. I don't think I need to mention how unqualified most of the Ringleaders were either, as it was well known by any intelligent spectator.

555...let 'em have it with both barrels Mr. Watana Muangsook. Love some of his remarks and points he makes.

I'm afraid he is due to disappear into the ether with those remarks. Instead of an "attitude adjustment" he might be looking at an "attitude termination".

Oh he was due to disappear alright, before he was asked too many embarrassing questions about his role in the rice scam. If the civil court decides to reclaim damages, he will be one of the prime targets. He might also be facing criminal negligence charges.

To make it easier for you to understand, it's like in the cop shows when they tell the suspect "Don't leave town."

"It is what the red shirts did to his protestors in 2013/14."

That statement is so detached from reality I don't know where to begin in refuting it.

"Watana is right though as it does not lead to sustainable peace which is exactly why the military had to step in."

The military staged a coup and banned freedom of expression at gunpoint indefinitely, which you agree does not lead to sustainable peace. So why do you support them?

He comes across as a whining spoilt schoolboy who got spanked when caught stealing cookies and now wants to vent some spite at the grown ups who did it.

A bit like the comments we get from his supporters.

I wonder if this despicable crony even realises what a hypocrite he is considering what his lot did in government. I am beginning to believe that red-shirts do not even realise what they do is wrong. I may have overestimated the average IQ : I'll knock it down a few points.

The universal declaration of Human rights

Article 13.

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
(2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

Article 13.

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.

(2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

Is it not the case that you forfeit both of those rights once you run afoul of the law?

"It is what the red shirts did to his protestors in 2013/14."

That statement is so detached from reality I don't know where to begin in refuting it.

"Watana is right though as it does not lead to sustainable peace which is exactly why the military had to step in."

The military staged a coup and banned freedom of expression at gunpoint indefinitely, which you agree does not lead to sustainable peace. So why do you support them?

I'm guessing its because he married into the family of a high ranking military type and is currently enjoying a relatively high standard of living because of it. Either that, or his car got scratched during a red shirt rally 5 years ago. And they were subsequently rude to him.

Edited by 15Peter20

... once you run afoul of the law?

How I'd love to hear your justification of this statement. I certainly hope that by "the law" any mean powers that be, and not rules which members of society ought to be reasonably expected to abide by. Actually, nevermind. Neither case is defensible if human rights are to be upheld.

... once you run afoul of the law?

How I'd love to hear your justification of this statement. I certainly hope that by "the law" any mean powers that be, and not rules which members of society ought to be reasonably expected to abide by. Actually, nevermind. Neither case is defensible if human rights are to be upheld.

He was an integral part of a scam which cost the Thai people around a trillion baht, and there is reasonable suspicion that if allowed to leave, he might not return.

Seems they have learned a lot since Thaksin was granted bail.

BTW my country, like many others, maintain that a passport is a privilege, not a right and will refuse to issue to or withdraw a passport from those who they consider MAY be about to flee or break Oz law.

Article 13.

Link - http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

thank you for point out this little, insignificant detail related to the OP.... thumbsup.gif

Our current leader was extremely patient & gave the Phua Thai party plenty of time to put their house in order, even right up to the last hour before the Coup, he was still trying to get them to bridge their differences & come to some consensus with the opposition parties.

He also warned more than once, that if he had to come out from the barracks, it would be for a long time, so as far as I can see it, these people brought it upon themselves, by continuing to operate the country like it was a circus sideshow for as long as they did. I don't think I need to mention how unqualified most of the Ringleaders were either, as it was well known by any intelligent spectator.

Yes, because they (politicians) all serve at his pleasure, not the people that elected them! You're right - that's a no-brainer!!

post-233765-0-10737900-1437129752_thumb.