Uk Settlement Visa

Does a UK settlement visa automatically allow the applicant to work?
Depends on the type of visa. If a spouse visa then yes, one can work immediately. If a fiance or civil partnership visa them no, one cannot work until after the marriage or registration of the CP and FLR has been obtained.
How long in advance of the application should she book her ticket?
Do not book the ticket until after the visa has been issued.
How long on average does it take for a decision?
If the application is good enough to be decided on the paperwork alone then it should be a matter of a few days. If an interview is required then it depends on how many people are ahead in the queue. It could be as long as 3 months, I'm afraid.

Does a UK settlement visa automatically allow the applicant to work?

Depends on the type of visa. If a spouse visa then yes, one can work immediately. If a fiance or civil partnership visa them no, one cannot work until after the marriage or registration of the CP and FLR has been obtained.
How long in advance of the application should she book her ticket?
Do not book the ticket until after the visa has been issued.
How long on average does it take for a decision?
If the application is good enough to be decided on the paperwork alone then it should be a matter of a few days. If an interview is required then it depends on how many people are ahead in the queue. It could be as long as 3 months, I'm afraid.

I am applying for the visa as girlfriend, we have been living together in Thailand for over 1 year.

Is that a civil partnership?

What's CP and FLR?

Do we have to apply for a work permit aswell?

Edited by sebastian

Sebastian,

Civil partnership (CP) is the contract akin to marriage in to which homosexuals enter; i.e. it's the gay equivalent of getting married. FLR means further leave to remain and is what is granted by the Home Office once someone's current permission to stay in the UK is about to expire.

You can seek to bring your girlfriend to the UK as your unmarried partner, but, in order to qualify for this, you must have been in a relationship akin to marriage for at least 2 years.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Sebastian,

Civil partnership (CP) is the contract akin to marriage in to which homosexuals enter; i.e. it's the gay equivalent of getting married. FLR means further leave to remain and is what is granted by the Home Office once someone's current permission to stay in the UK is about to expire.

You can seek to bring your girlfriend to the UK as your unmarried partner, but, in order to qualify for this, you must have been in a relationship akin to marriage for at least 2 years.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Ok thanks,

So basically I need to get married which means returning to Thailand or apply for a fiance visa and then she can't work.

Also I need to prove we intend to marry in the UK right?