United Arab Emirates passes new anti-hate law

webfact

United Arab Emirates issues anti-intolerance law
ADAM SCHRECK, Associated Press

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — The United Arab Emirates issued new legislation aimed at combatting intolerance on Monday, outlawing actions that stoke religious hatred and discriminate based on religious or ethnic background.

The law's introduction comes amid growing alarm in the Emirates and other oil-rich Gulf Arab states over the rise of militant extremists, particularly the Islamic State group.

The legislation bars discrimination based on "religion, caste, creed, doctrine, race, color or ethnic origin," according to official state news agency WAM. It also criminalizes any action that encourages religious hatred or insults religion, and calls for punishing those who label other religious groups as infidels or unbelievers.

"The law is intended to provide a sound foundation for the environment of tolerance, broadmindedness and acceptance in the UAE," the report said.

The law was decreed by the president, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan. Among other things, it targets actions that are considered hate speech or promote discrimination or violence in all forms of media.

Penalties include six months to more than 10 years in prison and fines up to 2 million dirhams ($545,000). Authorities held out the possibility of amnesty for those who proactively turn themselves in.

The Emirates is a Western-allied, seven-state federation that includes oil-rich Abu Dhabi and the Mideast commercial hub of Dubai.

Home to the second largest Arab economy, it has emerged as a multicultural trade and tourism center. Its native population is overwhelmingly Muslim, though foreign residents of many faiths far outnumber locals.

It last year designated dozens of Islamist groups including the Muslim Brotherhood as terrorists, lumping them together with extremists such as the Islamic State group.

Authorities last week executed a woman with links to Islamic extremists who was found guilty of murdering an American teacher in Abu Dhabi in December.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-22

TV posters beware!

You are no longer allowed to hate the Dubai man you all love to hate so much!

But so many work so hard to deserve our dislike. And their silence over the behavior of the extremists is positively deafening. Speak up! If you are not a supporter of these freaks make it known.

TV posters beware!

I think the reality is that you love to think we hate him.

The truth is that he is just one more dirty little megalomaniac in this world who would see his supporters die and his country in ruins just for his own benefit.

You don't have to hate a man to know that. I expect you also believe every judge you have been up against also hated you. Don't take it so personal.

Now, if we could only get them to pass some hate laws against women.

Yep, that was the glaring one missing from this law. I and I'm sure many others immediately looked to see if this law said "gender discrimination" and as expected it was missing.

Gee, just when I was getting used to the "kill the infidel" and so forth.

Are they still allowed to yell "Allahu akbar!" before they kill you?

I would dearly miss that.

Edited by MaxYakov

TV posters beware!

The truth is that he is just one more dirty little megalomaniac in this world who would see his supporters die and his country in ruins just for his own benefit.

You don't have to hate a man to know that. I expect you also believe every judge you have been up against also hated you. Don't take it so personal.

??? ...every judge I have been up against....???

euhhhhhh??? care to explain?

TV posters beware!

??? ...don't take it so personal....???

euhhhhhh??? care to explain?

Oh wait, I get it, you think I am Thaksin, the man you love to hate so much (as you clearly demonstrated in your post).

For starters, my name is NOT Thaksin.

Furthermore, I dislike Thaksin exactly as much as I dislike his opponents.

I think that you would not recognize a joke, not even if it fell on top of you.

What made you so sour and bitter? Did Thailand do this to you? Or was it your ex? Or were you born like that?

Seek medical treatment - if you can afford it.

Edited by nidieunimaitre