How To Block Animated Flash Ads

taxexile

i get annoyed sometimes , well , more than sometimes , by animated ads that pop up in the middle of the screen , on many websites.

sometimes they hide the button that you click to close them down , they are an awful intrusion.

is there any shareware out there that will block the ads but not interfere with other animations such as videos from you tube, video streaming broadcasts etc.

i.e. that will just kill the ads.

i use xp sp2 with explorer 6 .

thanks

Don't know if you have your 'Popup blocker' enabled but it is under Tools>Pop-up-blocker. Problem is some of these sites are getting clever and now have Pop-Down ads which seem to be missed by this. Firefox does a pretty good job of blocking these but not all.

i get annoyed sometimes , well , more than sometimes , by animated ads that pop up in the middle of the screen , on many websites.

sometimes they hide the button that you click to close them down , they are an awful intrusion.

is there any shareware out there that will block the ads but not interfere with other animations such as videos from you tube, video streaming broadcasts etc.

thanks

switch your browser to mozilla firefox it's faster and more secure than I.E. whatever version

also switch your email to thunderbird

both are easier to use and more secure easier to configure too

thunderbird has learning junk filter that is quite good but always check the email trash before throwing it out there maybe something you need in there

I use these along with zone alarm and Avg and have had no problems with popups or viruses for a long time time now

hope this helps

I love both those products, but even the adblock extension for Firefox won't block flash ads unless you block the whole frame. There are other extensions for ad blocking, but that is the only one I've tried.

Peter

thanks

switch your browser to mozilla firefox it's faster and more secure than I.E. whatever version

also switch your email to thunderbird

both are easier to use and more secure easier to configure too

thunderbird has learning junk filter that is quite good but always check the email trash before throwing it out there maybe something you need in there

I use these along with zone alarm and Avg and have had no problems with popups or viruses for a long time time now

hope this helps

Admuncher works well, especially here in TV. Sometimes I disable Admuncher and am amazed at all the crap people have to look at here. (I turn off avatars here too.)

Ad Muncher Usage Statistics for v4.6 Build 10270

Adverts removed by Ad Muncher: 355,521

Approximate bandwidth saved: 2,777 MB

Counter started: October 18, 2005

Edited by lomatopo

Use firefox and get the flash-block extension. You can still use flash when you have to by clicking on the flash animation. The adblock extension is also very useful when sites get over ambitious with their advertising.

I recommend this one. Flashblock is brilliant. Easy to use, easy to configure. I don't like ad blocks per se as I don't mind any non-animating stuff.

It's Firefox only, but as has been said before anyone who isn't using Firefox yet should immediately do so not only because it's better - which it is - but also because new zero day exploits for IE come out every week.

Flashblock replaces all the flash on a page with a white rectangle with a play button. Only if you click the play button does it load and play the flash animation. Which is perfect because some sites are unusable without flash, have flash menus - especially Thai websites love flash more than anything.

You can also right-click on any flash and tell flashblock to enable all flash from a certain site - very good for sites that are completely non-functional without flash.

Flashblock is genius.

I have tried the odd ad-block plugin, but usually there are way too many config options and things to tinker with - blocked domains, allowed domains, banner sizes, all kinds of stuff - I don't want to deal with any of that, all I want is no annoying flash on my web page - which is exactly what Flashblock delivers.

As for IE: There is no reason to hang on to it. Firefox will import all your bookmarks and work in exactly the same way, except without the zillions of security holes. Do yourself a favor and get rid of IE. I keep it around for the rare web page that is IE only - mostly Windows Update. I go without using IE for months at a time.

I use Thunderbird as well but I regard it as a more hard-core open source program, e.g. it's not nearly as nice as Firefox. It is not an improvement on Outlook in most respects, and it has its own annoying quirks and rough edges. I would not recommend it unless you hate Outlook (like I do :o ). I use Thunderbird not because it's so good but because I find Outlook even worse.

Edited by nikster