Awesomely unique paint job

Wow, have never seen anything like that before - this is cool.

It looks like some kind of wrap too - at 0:15 into the video I think I can even see some creases in it?

Here's an embed of the video:

Edited by IMHO

Thanks for the embed IMHO, never can seem to get that to work? I don't think there is any wrap, the water flows off and makes it look like a wrap crease but they talk about the cost of the paint being very high (no surprise there). You may be seeing the water marks but maybe you're right I don't really know enough about it to say for certain, I just ran into it. But that is really some paint job! Can you imagine driving that in the rain?? How cool? Especially if it was a sun shower or just short shower and the sun came back out? What will they come up with next? thumbsup.gif

Just watched again, I don't see any wrap creases I think you may be seeing a water splash before they started video or maybe you're seeing a contour. It would be incredible if it did come in a wrap though and you could easily change backgrounds, and I can see how they could possibly apply such technology to a wrap, and maybe that is the next evolution?

Edited by WarpSpeed

I'm blown away by the amount of interest and comments this thread is getting? blink.png So many people out there have seen this technology that it isn't even notable? IMHO and Sen sei did you have any idea how far behind the rest it seems we all are? coffee1.gifwai.gif

I'm blown away by the amount of interest and comments this thread is getting? blink.png So many people out there have seen this technology that it isn't even notable? IMHO and Sen sei did you have any idea how far behind the rest it seems we all are? coffee1.gifwai.gif

sad.png

I'm blown away by the amount of interest and comments this thread is getting? So many people out there have seen this technology that it isn't even notable? IMHO and Sen sei did you have any idea how far behind the rest it seems we all are?

It's interesting, but not on a practical level.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Captain America paint job cost more than my first 3 cars combined... Even a single color job would cost "a few thousand dollars just for top coat materials alone" (quoting the article), plus another few thousand to spray it.

Then there's the issue of longevity, and how long between $$$$$ paint jobs, what happens if I get a tiny scratch, how many local hoodlums are going to pee or spit on it to see it change, and on and on.

For a scooter where a pint ($300-400) would probably do 2-3 resprays, maybe. For $??,000? Not much interest here.

I'm blown away by the amount of interest and comments this thread is getting? So many people out there have seen this technology that it isn't even notable? IMHO and Sen sei did you have any idea how far behind the rest it seems we all are?

It's interesting, but not on a practical level.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Captain America paint job cost more than my first 3 cars combined... Even a single color job would cost "a few thousand dollars just for top coat materials alone" (quoting the article), plus another few thousand to spray it.

Then there's the issue of longevity, and how long between $$$$$ paint jobs, what happens if I get a tiny scratch, how many local hoodlums are going to pee or spit on it to see it change, and on and on.

For a scooter where a pint ($300-400) would probably do 2-3 resprays, maybe. For $??,000? Not much interest here.

Seriously?? facepalm.gif First off I doubt anyone who buys this has the first thought about practicality. Secondly, no one is trying to sell you, it's just an idea for those who can afford it obviously, not to mention that it's new tech, and like all new tech it needs to evolve. But at least to your credit you posted your observations, that's more then I can say for so many others who've viewed and posted nothing?

Edited by WarpSpeed

Awesome tech, shame about how crap the paint job is both before and after the water.

i wonder if it will be proven to be fake like that camaro with the purple paramagnetic paint a few years back.

Edited by Don Mega

Not a secret at all he is using thermochromic paint.

Thermochromism is the property of substances to change color due to a change in ....Thermochromic paints use of liquid crystals or leuco dye technology. Heat Sensitive Color changing paint. Our typical thermochromic pigment will change color at 86 degrees F. Custom Temperatures can be special ordered. As the temperature rises, the paint disappears to show what is underneath.

This stuff is not cheap - around $30 US for 25 grams for one color.