Chinese-Thai railway news

bluesofa

I read in the Bangkok Post this morning an update about the much hyped railway. I haven't seen anything in the Nation about it so far.

A government spokesman was quoted as saying that It will take around four years to connect railways from Laos to Thailand.
The Kunming-Lao route is expected to be ready in five years while the two Thai-Chinese railways will be finished within three. years.

I am missing something here? There seems to be three, four and five years quoted. If the Thai-Chinese railways will be completed in three years, how can it take five years to connect Kunming-Laos, and yet Laos-Thailand will take four years?

The internal Thailand portion - 3 years (called Thai-Chinese as a different system than current).

The connection to Laos - 4 years

The complete to China - 5 years

Above best guess - could be 100% or less wrong. Thai reporting does require some crystal balling.

crystal-ball-gazer.jpg

The internal Thailand portion - 3 years (called Thai-Chinese as a different system than current).

The connection to Laos - 4 years

The complete to China - 5 years

Above best guess - could be 100% or less wrong. Thai reporting does require some crystal balling.

crystal-ball-gazer.jpg

Thanks,

You seem to have had a good attempt at translating from government-speak to English.

Any chance of coming up with the next lottery numbers while you're on the ball there?

I remember when the high speed train was first announced I thai politician said it will be completed in 3 years. that was about 4 years so I take no notice of there timing as they are for the general public who tend to have a short term memory span.

The Kra canal has been on the cards for 100 years.

SRT has been talking about dual tracking for 20.

Airport link express? 555555. The train to nowhere, neither an express or a proper commuter train. Escalators for luggage? What are they???

Think about it.

Edited by samran

I remember when the high speed train was first announced I thai politician said it will be completed in 3 years. that was about 4 years so I take no notice of there timing as they are for the general public who tend to have a short term memory span.

If you live here in Thailand (and I mean live) don't you consider yourself to be part of the "general public" or are you a "hi-so" person?

"I am missing something here? There seems to be three, four and five years quoted. If the Thai-Chinese railways will be completed in three years, how can it take five years to connect Kunming-Laos, and yet Laos-Thailand will take four years?"

Perhaps there are a few more mountains, making the engineering slower and more-challenging, on the Lao part of the line ?wai2.gif