Cargo Ships From Uk To Thailand And Dogs

dinfisher

Does anyone know if it is possible to get on a cargo ship in Uk and bring 3 dogs plus ones HHGDS all together when one comes to Thailand on the retirement visa - its a good idea but are there any ships that will accept dogs and passengers etc? Also one needs an import permit from the Min of Livestock valid for only 45 days to import pets (dogs) has anyone any experience of doing this either by excess baggage by air on the same plane or as cargo (involving long distressing clearance time here and possible duty etc). Any advice would be appreciated

Guest IT Manager

See if you can contact the nutter in the next village to us that brought his 17 dogs in by air, with his WIFE.

Not sure which of them was in cargo.

If you have to bring dogs to Thailand, you will have to do it with excess baggage, not cheap but the only way.

With 3 dogs, you have to plan very far in advance since the airlines limit the number of dogs that a plane can carry at one time.

As for the formalities, you just need all the vaccination certficates,... (but other people can probably confirm)

Yea Bluecat,,sounds kinda like bringing a sandwich to a banquet don't it.

I can see no reason that you couldn't bring yourself and dogs in aboard ship,

Thats how most things came to Thailand in the past,unless you came in overland.

As far as I know, You will have to go down to the waterfront and check with some chandllers and talk to some ships captains after you find out which ships are bound out for Thailand.

You will have to be shipped as supercargo unless you have merchant seamans papers and maybe you can get a "work over", I have done that.

Some of the freighters also carry a few passengers,under US shipping laws they can only carry a max. of 12 before they have to ship a doctor.They are called cargo liners.

and upon landing,you will have to clear immi. and customs just like on a plane.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get on a cargo ship in Uk and bring 3 dogs plus ones HHGDS all together when one comes to Thailand on the retirement visa - its a good idea but are there any ships that will accept dogs and passengers etc? Also one needs an import permit from the Min of Livestock valid for only 45 days to import pets (dogs) has anyone any experience of doing this either by excess baggage by air on the same plane or as cargo (involving long distressing clearance time here and possible duty etc). Any advice would be appreciated

Accompanied baggage on a scheduled airliner is the easier option, By ship is a possibility. Nevertheless, contact the Thai Embassy in London for the up-to-date rules. It varies country by country. Talk to the airline and shipping company too.

• 2 years later...

http://www.freighter-cruises.com/ is one of a few sites that can assist you in freighter travel. The average cost can vary, but in most circumstances they usually quote arount 90us per day and possible some port fees of up to 200us at most. I've actually looked into this too because that's how I'm going to get to Thailand from the U.S. I've flown umpteen times, and always hated (feared) flying for some reason. I flew to the UK last summer on a military aircraft....a tanker, and I was able to go back and watch them refill fighter aircraft in-flight.....that was nice and the view was unmatched by anything I've seen before, but, I still can't get over my fear. So, as I said, I've researched freighter travel, and many of them take a small amount of passengers...no frills, but excellent food, larger quarters(much larger than a cruise ship), and basic entertainment such as dvd movies and whatever you bring to read. A Gentleman named Hamish Jamieson handles a great deal of passenger requests on freighters. His email is [email protected] . I hope this will be helpful for you.

Tom

We have just arranged travel for our two dogs from the uK to tailand and are moving on the 9 th march.

our household goods will be shipped but not the dogs. If you ship them you will have to put them into quarantine.

we have spoken with a vet in BKK who deals with the arriving animals and his suggestion was excess baggage as being less stressfull for the dogs than cargo.

we had thought the import of dogs would be a huge problem but when you knuckle down to it it seems real easy.

Any poster wanting more details feel free to pm me. Cost for flying excess with Lufthansa was a mere £20/kilo rather than the £35 asked for by some airlines!!!!and they have been very-very helpful.

In my experience the best way is to bring them with you on the plane

as accompanied baggage. Ensure that they are on the same flights, same connections as you.

If one carrier cannot do this, go to another.

Do not send as cargo ! Do not ship !

Naka.

Edited by naka