What to do in Kuala Lumpur

BKKBobby

Im going to Kuala Lumpur for three nights this week.

Anyone with good knowledge of the place that has any recommendations of what to do/see?

I want to stay within downtown since Im only staying for such a short time.

Thanks!

National museum, Police museum and Islamic museum are worth a visit. Go up on the Twin Towers. You have to buy ticket online. Menara Tower is also good.

Suria and Pavilion Shopping Centers are the best.

I regularily enjoy Dintaifung and Teppanyaki at Pavilion.

Good hotel downtown with nice pool is the Prince Hotel.

Eat.

There is an Indian section a short walk north from Masjid Jamek station -- walk through the bazaar and when you reach the end there you are. Tandoori, curries, sweets etc like you'd get in India.

Lots of Chinese food, but if you are alone you'd probably have to stick to hawker stalls, as the dishes served in most restaurants tend to be large, multi-person size platters. In some places someone may explain this to you when you walk in.

And then of course Malay dishes, nasi kandar places nearly everywhere.

Mind your hygiene while there. Some of those trays that you see in the evening in the nasi kandar places have been sitting there since 11 am.

Here's a strange one: there is a chain of coffee & dessert shops that I can't recall the name of (two words, one is 'sweet' if I correctly recall), I think it has a red sign with white letters and a handwriting font. There's one in nearly every upmarket mall. They have a quite decent New York style cheesecake (pronounced shizz-kek).

Menara KL is actually much nicer than the iconic twin towers.

plus at Menara KL you used to get headphones in your native tongue, explaining what you see.

go to Bangsar for a night out, a plethora of great Restos and Bars, from cheapo places to very sophisticated.

If you prefer to stay in the CBD, around Raja Chulan Monorail stop there is a lot of nightlife going on too, Clubs, Bars, Restos, Lounges.

PASAR SENI is a certainly touristic, but nevertheless pleasant 2-storey indoor "Art market", selling everything from genuine handicraft to the usual knick-knack. Has a foodcourt too. Easy to reach as it is just accross the PASAR SENI LRT-station, which also is the stop for the nearby famous/infamous PETALING STREET (Chinatown).

Location is the key - if you choose to stay at a strategic location, chances are you won't need to use any Taxi at all. Public transport in form of Monorail, LRT and KTM ("Komuter" train) is very convenient, easy to use and, unlike in Bangkok, there are many lines. though crowded - this is Asia, after all.

If you plan to use Taxis, then immediately after arriving at Kl download the MYTEKSI APP (they are the ones who brought GRABTAXI to Thailand) and you will never have a problem to get a Cab or refusing to go by the meter.

remember there is 2 RM fee on top of what the meter reads, and if you add 2RM "TIP" when trying to order a Cab, this might enhance your chances at wee hours or locations Cabbies don't like.

50% surcharge on all taxi rides between midnight and 6 pm.

Selamat jalan !

Edited by siam2007

Been in KL many times, something I always wanted to do was go up to the menara at sunset, but I want to do it on a clear evening. Had one opportunity but got lost trying to find the place. Never had the second chance. One of the aspects of the KL skyline/urban landscape is the lights of the city have that bluish LED tint. To see that, especially the Petronas Towers, gives it a 'city on another planet' look, the sort of image that would be on the cover of a sci-fi paperback 50 years ago.

Petronas Towers observation area is only open during the day (last I checked), and closed early, like 2pm. The landscape of the area is pretty flat and the view from up there not that impressive IMO.

Edited by bendejo

• 2 weeks later...

KL isn't the most fun city but has its charms. I basically hit the malls and such, but trust me, DON'T hit Bangsar, that place was sooo not worth going to and such. Just a few restaurants and bars here and there, BLEH!