Dtac to test 4G VoLTE for first time in Thailand

webfact

TELECOM
Dtac to test 4G VoLTE for first time in Thailand

The Nation

30265799-01_big.jpg
Dtac employees are first to test 4G VoLTE Technology

BANGKOK: -- Total Access Communication (Dtac) is set to become the 16th country in the world to offer HD-quality voice service on 4G following its ongoing test of 4G VoLTE technology for the first time in Thailand.

The company said today that the initial testing would start with Dtac employees who own 4G VoLTE-enabled devices, which include Samsung S6, S6 Edge, and Dtac Eagle X smartphones. Test results will be collected and analysed to improve service quality prior to public testing and commercial launch.

Prathet Tankuranun, chief technology officer, Total Access Communication, said that the technology would extend Dtac’s 4G high-speed network. It would offer HD-quality voice service and is expected to replace legacy 2G and 3G services within the next 3-4 years. The new 4G VoLTE technology will a;sp allow simultaneous voice and data use on 4G, which is different from today where data service operates on 4G and voice on 2G/3G.

The 4G VoLTE technology allows customers to experience HD-quality voice service and 10 times faster call setup times, decreasing from 5 seconds to 0.5 seconds. It can deliver HD video calls with resolution up to 720P/1080P, which offers much better image quality and detail than the current network. T

The company has launched its 4G services in more than 40 cities in Thailand to support mobile internet demand.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Dtac-to-test-4G-VoLTE-for-first-time-in-Thailand-30265799.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-03

What DTAC announces and what they actually produce can be galaxies apart...remember Tri-Net??

In order for this to be commercially successful, a whole lot more manufacturers and going to have to get on the bandwagon making compatible phones...low cost models.

especially as there is no way DTAC could pay for that kind of infrastructure roll-out catering only to the flagship phone crowd.

Besides, Thais are a people who can carry on a phone conversation in the middle of a high octane disco or iron foundry....voice quality seems to not be a major concern among them.

"service on 4G following its ongoing test of 4G VoLTE technology for the first time in Thailand."

​100% BS True Move tested 4g blades installed in cabinets on the transceivers on my rooftop last year -big PR yawn here...

"service on 4G following its ongoing test of 4G VoLTE technology for the first time in Thailand."

​100% BS True Move tested 4g blades installed in cabinets on the transceivers on my rooftop last year -big PR yawn here...

Read before post.

Learn what is Voice over LTE first. Then comment here.

True-H does not have VoLTE. It fallbacks to 3G for voice service.

I'm using Galaxy S6 on True H LTE.

10 times faster call setup times

This is really key. Right now call set-up times are ~ 12 seconds, as the handset/network shift back to 3G.

I think my SGS5 is VoLTE-capable, as are the iPhone 6/6+ and several other makes/models.

10 times faster call setup times

This is really key. Right now call set-up times are ~ 12 seconds, as the handset/network shift back to 3G.

I think my SGS5 is VoLTE-capable, as are the iPhone 6/6+ and several other makes/models.

S5 may not be VolTE compatible. But S6 does.

My S6 switches to 3g instantly when making calls. It should not take 12 seconds. Perhaps you need a clean install / upgrade firmware to latest version?

S5 may not be VolTE compatible. But S6 does.

My S6 switches to 3g instantly when making calls. It should not take 12 seconds. Perhaps you need a clean install / upgrade firmware to latest version?

Yes, I the SGS5 does support VoLTE, but it may need a specific baseband/radio version to interoperate with a specific provider's VoLTE implementation, as might any other VoLTE-capable phones. SGS5 models have been using VoLTE in the U.S. for 1+ year.

I should have been more precise: call set-up times can range UP TO 12 seconds without VoLTE.

In my limited experience with DTAC and TrueMove H, there is a great deal of variability in call set-up times. While most times the switch over, and call completion is a few seconds, I have seen much longer times when in new areas, and calling between TrueMove H 4G and DTAC 4G, even up to what seems like 10 seconds.

Um, I already have this and it's called Facetime.

That might be better called VoIP? Voice and video and data and text and chat can be transport independent, and work fine over 4G networks.

Edited by bamnutsak