New Roundabout Jomtien 2nd Road & Soi Wat Boonkanchana

Gsxrnz

The powers that be yesterday hastily constructed a roundabout at the intersection of Jomtien 2nd Road and Soi Wat Boonkanchana. It's constructed of those Y-shaped concrete things they use to block off roads and stands about a metre high.

Personally, I don't understand why they didn't just reactivate the traffic lights that have been de commissioned for the past 9 months or so while they had the intersection blocked off.

For those that want a laugh I'm arranging a special "viewing" of the impending debacle that is bound to occur once they finally finish painting all the pretty white and yellow lines around the perimeter. I have a friend in a nearby condo with excellent views, so it should be fun.

Anyway, it's probably just a matter of time before a bleary eyed bus/truck driver ploughs through the whole arrangement and then they just block it off again.

Or some enterprising mosai taxi driver will move the bollards at 3,6,9 and 12 o'clock to create a straight line for motorcyclists and a place where Aunty can park her som-tam scooter.

What's your take on the roundabout if you live in the area or use that intersection a lot?

In semi related subject, I was crossing 2nd road today near JB Condo, looked to the right. All the traffic was stopped.... I wondered "What happened? Police check?" then noticed for some odd reason the cross walk light was functioning once more (been off at least 90% of the time since installed). Amazing. People stopped!

Recon it will be treated by driver and riders traveling on second road

as a fast Chicane thumbsup.gif

going to be some accidents now.

Shame there's not a Webb cam there to log onto, would be fun to watch.

Who knows maybe it will all work out ok Not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its like putting a roundabout on the sukumvit

In semi related subject, I was crossing 2nd road today near JB Condo, looked to the right. All the traffic was stopped.... I wondered "What happened? Police check?" then noticed for some odd reason the cross walk light was functioning once more (been off at least 90% of the time since installed). Amazing. People stopped!

Think drivers and riders were just stunned.

Have no fear normality will be resumed tomorrow.

Get out the way im coming through !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gigglem.gif

The last time they were turned on which was months ago, I made the mistake of nearly stopping my truck at the red light. The right hand lane was blocked by cars doing U-Turns. Luckily I checked my mirror because the bus 100m behind me had no intention of slowing down and was flashing his lights. As I gassed it through the red light I managed to change lanes to the right and was underpassed by the bus doing probably 95 as he was blasting his horn.

If I hadn't gassed it I reckon the bus would have definitely rear ended me or worse, if he'd tried to take evasive action he would have taken out numerous other cars and bikes.

If I see them red again I'll only be slowing down if there's nothing behind me, and I doubt if I'll actually stop unless there is a pedestrian on the road.

Just saw it today and the lights were working too! wink.png

You mean working as in red, yellow, green? They were only flashing yellow this morning while they were still working on it.

Don't tell me some genius has decided that functioning traffic lights are appropriate at a roundabout. Or maybe they've decided it's not a roundabout but just a round traffic island?

The mind boggles. facepalm.gif

It's at the bottom of the road where I live, I watched for a few minutes yesterday evening and was horrified to realise they don't give way to the Right. The traffic coming onto the roundabout gets priority if it's bigger.

I'm really concerned myself as to how to use this obstacle, as I will pass that way often.

Being an American I don't understand roundabouts and think they're stupid.

Roundabouts work well in places where roads are narrow and carry a lot of traffic, which pretty well sums up most of Europe where they are widely used.

I suspect that this isnt the case in much of the US.

Don't tell me some genius has decided that functioning traffic lights are appropriate at a roundabout. Or maybe they've decided it's not a roundabout but just a round traffic island?

Roundabouts with traffic light controlled access are common in UK town centres where they work well.

Of course anything like that does rely on driver discipline for it to be practical.

Drove back through there just now and it seemed to quite fluid, with cars going cautiously around the roundabout. It should make u-turns much safer too.

But the traffic light was on fixed yellow which was confusing as I was expecting it to change to either red or green at any moment, but it didnt.

There really is no reason for a roundabout not improving traffic flow as long as people give them a chance.

This location seems an ideal place to try one out as it isn't really that busy and the Thai's (and Americans judging by one earlier comment) , who everyone seems to think aren't capable of using them correctly, can get the opportunity to see just how beneficial they are as opposed to the usual unbelievably long waits at Pattaya traffic lights.

A few large signs clearly indicating that priority must be given to traffic from the right would be helpful.

There really is no reason for a roundabout not improving traffic flow as long as people give them a chance.

This location seems an ideal place to try one out as it isn't really that busy and the Thai's (and Americans judging by one earlier comment) , who everyone seems to think aren't capable of using them correctly, can get the opportunity to see just how beneficial they are as opposed to the usual unbelievably long waits at Pattaya traffic lights.

A few large signs clearly indicating that priority must be given to traffic from the right would be helpful.

The problem is not traffic flow, its traffic speed on second road.

anyone been in a traffic jam at this junction ever ? no

traffic lights will slow the speed down over second road. but that's not the way to do it, is it ( city hall Muppets ) turned the lights off, put a roundabout in. just to confuse the already dangerous idiotic drivers more. facepalm.gif

A large sign indicating priority from the right, tells me what you know of driving in Thailand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Be a lot of accidents soon to come at this latest Jomtien road up-grade joke.

Good job City Hall. thumbsup.gif

Maybe there is some more to come with this junction, that we don't know yet ? cant wait for the next up-grade !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you've been driving in roundabouts in Bangkok you should know that cars and bikes just go with the flow, just use your eyes and when one car coming from the left is slowing down you know you can continue , just drive slowly and adjust to the queue of vehicles in front of you, it works for me. I'm just happy that the dangerous speeding has stopped.

Edited by balo