Bali bomber apologizes to victims' families in person

webfact

Bali bomber apologizes to victims’ families in person

JAKARTA: -- Ali Imron, the only surviving actor behind the 2002 Bali bombing, has apologized to victims’ families directly in a recent meeting in Jakarta, 13 years after the horrifying terrorist attack that killed 202 people, The Jakarta Post reported.

“I apologize to everyone, especially the victims and their families,” he said during a meeting organized by Australian public broadcasting network SBS for its show Dateline.

In the meeting, Ali met Jan Laczynski, Nyoman Rencini and Ni Luh Erniati in a prison in Jakarta.

Laczynski is an Australian, who lost five friends in the bombing, while Nyoman and Ni Luh lost their husbands in the tragedy. Laczynski flew from Melbourne, while Nyoman and Ni Luh flew from Bali to meet the man, who killed their loved ones.

Ali admitted the bombing was a fake form of jihad. He said he would not mind if he needed to go to Australia to apologize and take responsibility for his wrongdoings.

Ali was the driver of a van carrying bombs that exploded in two tourist spots in Bali. He was spared from the death sentence and instead sentenced to life imprisonment because he had expressed remorse and cooperated with the Indonesian police.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bali-bomber-apologizes-to-victims-families-in-person

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-06

I watched this show. His facial expressions and demeanor certainly did not leave one feeling he was sincere. But the really scary part of the show was the interview with the grandson of Stalin. He insisted that Stalin was a good man of the people, Russia's father, and told the viewers that nearly all Russians believed that.

Good, I am glad to hear it. I think apologies are important. In this case it says to other would be bombers that this is wrong, that I made a mistake. It may even go a ways towards preventing another attack. If nothing else, it is certainly better than saying or doing nothing.

What does 'fake form of jihad' mean ?. Is this meant to lessen the fact that it was Muslim's murdering others because of religion ?.

Don't trust anything any of these people say one single inch. They think everything is permissible because 'Allah knows their heart' and so will forgive them.

What does 'fake form of jihad' mean ?. Is this meant to lessen the fact that it was Muslim's murdering others because of religion ?.

Don't trust anything any of these people say one single inch. They think everything is permissible because 'Allah knows their heart' and so will forgive them.

Oh dear.

The quote at the bottom of your post forbids me arguing with you.

For your interest : (excerpts posted into quote box below)

Al-Fataa is certainly on the radar of Indonesia's security agencies but the fact that pro-IS activities occur so openly there, right next door to the Defence Ministry, is indicative of what many analysts believe is an inadequate response by the Indonesian government to a rising security threat.

After a six-year halt to the violent extremism that besieged the country for seven years from the first Bali bombings in 2002 and took hundreds of lives, including 95 Australians, will the emergence of IS re-energise violent extremism in Indonesia?

Thousands of Indonesians are believed to have made the pledge of allegiance to Islamic State in mosques, prayer rooms, homes and prisons across the country.

At least 300, and possibly as many as 700, Indonesians have travelled to Syria and Iraq to join IS.

According to Budi, there are more than 300 with passports ready to go.

So far, the call from the chief IS spokesman Abu Muhammad al-Adnani for its followers to kill "infidels" wherever they find them and by any means necessary has gone unheeded in Indonesia.

But Twitter exchanges between Indonesian fighters in Syria and followers in Indonesia viewed by Fairfax Media have jihadists regurgitating Adnani's advice to "smash [the infidel's] head with a rock, or slaughter him with a knife, or run him over with your car, or throw him down from a high place, or choke him or poison him".

In one exchange, a fighter who calls himself Abu Karimah Indonesia tells a fellow jihadist apparently frustrated by his inability to travel to Syria: "Our leader makes jihad easy for you. Kill any salibis [crusaders] you can find. Salibis can easily be found.

"Process your target. The bigger the better. But if it's difficult, it's more important in jihad to simplify and do it sooner.

"You can use anything. For example, a car. Video the process run them over while passing."

http://www.smh.com.au/world/allard-is-contagion-growing-in-indon--seo-20150804-gir4vk.html

Two things....

One, those kids in camo must be the cutest Jihadis I've ever seen.

"I will melt the hearts of the infidels"

Two, is that mosque in Jakarta just one clever Government fly trap?

I walk past the bomb memorial in Bali every few days. I was in a cafe in Nathon on Ko Samui in Thailand when it happened in 2002, the newspaper I picked up (may have been the Bangkok post) had full colour photos that I doubt were seen elsewhere of western dead lying amongst the devastation. As I say, I walk past that site every so often and there appears to be nothing effective to prevent a repeat. Given how much of a cash cow Bali is, I like to think that Indonesia's Government throws a lot into prevention behind the scenes because otherwise this place still looks like a soft underbelly.

May my assumption that there are 'on top of things' be correct.

Part of me is not fully convinced that they are.