Question for Warpy'

I saw many Young Americans with "Ricers" as they call them, Nissan's ,Evo,Honda's, and Subaru, at Gas Stations with Laptops plugged to Engine for bumping up the Power for Street Racing. Hows it work.?.Here its like asking for a sensible Visa Form.

Ironic question Ace, my neighbor across the street from me has developed his own program and hardware for the GT86, Subaru,BRZ and the Scion FRS (also Toyota, American youth division if you will) Now, he has the regional rights also for the Subaru WRX STI tuning, he can flash the N/A cars to develop over 250hp but if they have a turbo kit he can get well over 550 safely without additional upgrades (at least not mechanical, suspension etc. that's another thing altogether) and has gotten over 700 but it was enough to explode the OEM Aisin tranny just a weekend or so ago. If they don't know what they're doing (and many don't) they can wreak havoc on their engine and many do but my neighbor does programming for another company while he does this on the weekends, he's a young guy and makes 8 to $10,000 extra per weekend flashing other guys cars (around $1000 per car depending on hardware needs, most of his cost is labor though) and or installing his hardware and programming.

He has a brand new Jeep SRT in his drive way and his Yota GT86 in the garage, he's looking to get himself a Hennessy super charged VelociRaptor before years end, he's in his mid twenties, so he's making a killing. I have read recently that several manufacturers are now petitioning the government to shut down people like him as technically, it's their contention that WE don't own our new cars with the current software copy write laws in place, we only lease them, regardless. Right now it's a massive market for these young guys who can hook up their own lap top with many kits available like him and he also provides online programming support from almost anywhere for a fee which is what he does as well.

http://jalopnik.com/carmakers-want-to-make-working-on-your-car-illegal-beca-1699132210

Hope this addresses your question, some others have also posted similar briefs.

With the Vtec we had in our Acura there wasn't a heck of a lot we could do to increase the power on the N/A car, it was pretty maxed out already, we tried several things on the dyno but all were unsuccessful and most made it worse, for example we tried fuel pressure numbers and found it's sweet spot was very limited at around 36 PSI go up or down 2 Lbs either way and it cost an immediate 10hp. The next year Honda came out with a new exhaust cam that had slightly better lift and duration, that added about 10hp but that was all we could get both with timing and fuel settings on a stock Vtec. Admittedly that was an older model and now the ECU's have more programming flexibility, but I'm dubious as to just how much understanding these guys really have about the whole picture of what they're actually doing? Too much expensive potential damage for my taste on a street car not for the purpose of track competition.

Edited by WarpSpeed

There's definitely good money in tuning engines to be made. I've even seen instances now where tuners would tune remotely and not even have to leave their desk/sofa/bed.

Yep that's what my neighbor does as well, he does it both in person for locals and online, I hardly ever see the guy outside, unless he's tuning a car, he says he doesn't like the outdoors, sadly his little boy doesn't get out much though either.

I guess you can argue with the Dyno then..

The dyno tells lies.

The method of getting HP outta an FA20 is well documented on the internet and there is absolutely not a chance one will make 550hp reliably with stock internals.

Edited by Don Mega

There's definitely good money in tuning engines to be made. I've even seen instances now where tuners would tune remotely and not even have to leave their desk/sofa/bed.

Indeed. I too like warpy know people that tune cars. do you know the USA TV show called street outlaws ?... A friend has done EFI conversions on a couple of them now. He flys out from australia to fit up all the Haltech ECU gear, dyno tunes them and when back in aus does all the tuning remotely for them.

I guess you can argue with the Dyno then..

The dyno tells lies.

The method of getting HP outta an FA20 is well documented on the internet and there is absolutely not a chance one will make 550hp reliably with stock internals.

All I can tell you is that I've driven the car and seen the dyno sheets, I guess my eyes and my back side are both lying too then? (eyes maybe, but back side never does), I don't know how much you THINK the limits are supposed to be but I can tell you no 2 are alike and like you believe the dyno could be lying rolleyes.gif some, not ALL engines can handle the same levels of power if one component is weaker but in some that do not have any weaker components it may be able to? But whatever you THINK the limits are? It can't be such a wide difference as you mention between what the dyno says (if it indeed it was wrong, though certain it's not coffee1.gif ) and the ACTUAL numbers. BTW 550 was the low number they just got over 700 out of the other one I posted about that grenade d the tranny, can't say for certain that one is not worked on the lower end but I understood it was not.

How do you explain that some racing engines fail while others do not but all manufactured with the same components in the same fashion and run the same way? whistling.gif You're talking absolutes because you "read it on the Internet" and there is no such thing and I'm here on the Internet telling you so.

Anyway I answered the OP's question, so for me, this discussion is off topic..

Edited by WarpSpeed

This is off topic I agree lets leave it there and agree to disagree.

BTW Iam not calling you a liar, You are only relaying information given to you.

To some extent that's true as I know you're not calling me a liar exactly but seeing the sheets with my own eyes and having driven the car myself, like I said, it goes beyond having someone tell me on the net. Just as I'm sure it would for you, if I told you that what you were actually seeing and experiencing about something wasn't what you are actually seeing and feeling, from my chair here in the states, you'd be pretty miffed at how I could be so brash as to insist with such absolute certainty that you're not actually seeing and experiencing that without actually being here and seeing for yourself. Anyway, like you said agree to disagree, the OP's question was answered in there somewhere.

Edited by WarpSpeed

550hp, is that at the wheels or fly wheel ? Either way not a chance getting those numbers out of an FA20 engine unless it is a built motor with forged bottom end (as well as darton liners).

Where did warpspeed mention the F20A engine? K20A turbos can put out 500HP+. But on stock internals? I don't know.

550hp, is that at the wheels or fly wheel ? Either way not a chance getting those numbers out of an FA20 engine unless it is a built motor with forged bottom end (as well as darton liners).

Where did warpspeed mention the F20A engine? K20A turbos can put out 500HP+. But on stock internals? I don't know.

Davis thanks for the defense but the GT86 does have an FA20 in it.

Davis thanks for the defense but the GT86 does have an FA20 in it.

Oh! So that's not the same as the FA20 found in old hondas. They barely pushed out 140HP stock.