Restoring democracy 'will boost economy'

Lite Beer

Are the USA or the EU even thinking about imposing economic sanctions ?

Maybe the report originator, Mrs Deputy S-G, is unaware that there is a real global economic cooling.

Check the BRIC countries results, Brazil, Russia and China are slowing, and India is holding about level.

A change of government in Thailand is no guarantee of any change in the country's economic status. ( But, no doubt a salary boost for Mrs Deputy S-G)

She apparently believes simply restoring democracy will boost the economy. No details, plans or explanations about the link between the two and how that might particularly given the current state of world economies.

That should tell us all we need to know about her subject matter knowledge.

She even thinks that a non elected criminal fugitive dictating policy and making decisions carried out by a government he appoints with MP's he pays a salary too is democracy.

And there are posters on here who still support the Shins.

The true expression of democracy that led to Yingluck being elected actually worsened Thailand's economic woes - the 300 baht minimum wage policy was certainly one factor in jobs moving overseas, for example. I was in Thailand prior to that election and just despaired at the 'let's-vote-ourselves-rich' mentality of the Thais.

Getting rich on 300 bahts a day you have to be joking. Vote ourselves rich? Are you the descendant of one of those plantation owners of the 1800's? Big business seeking slave like wages has descended like a cloud of darkness over our planet. They had their chance a few decades ago to play fair with workers but instead choose to shove the extra profits in their pockets. CEO's in general make 10 times more than their average worker compared to say 4 decades ago. All these marvelous improvements in technology has only planted big business firmer in the drivers seat as now they can pick and choose their workers and also choose what to pay them and with their greed mentality they pay as little as possible de-humanizing their workers and filling them with insecurities. The workers are on a treadmill to nowhere and this is just fine with big business. Under the new TPP trade deal America will finally conqueror Vietnam not with guns but economically. They are seeking every nook and cranny where they can exploit the government and "work" with the government in controlling the masses. They want to turn the whole planet into another Bangladesh. A good example is the "Koch brothers" who want to make America great again. Great for who? Did America not enrich the Kochs enough with billions in profit what more do they wish to gain oh yes slavery for all. Like all slavery in the past the masses will arise sometime in the future(I hope I am pushing up daisies by then) and when they do I hope like during the French Revolution they still use madame Guillotine. Before using her I hope they stuff the unfortunate billionaires mouth full of money. He can use it to pay the boatman when crossing the river Styx on his way to Hades.

Edited by elgordo38

This whole education first is a red herring,education based on what and whose mandates?

You mean the forcing of red school propagand and now the generals 12 core values?

Without reconciliation educational reform isn't going to happen, both sides need to reconcile and have a common interest that suits BOTH sides when it comes to educational needs.

The Reds want what they want, the Junta and the Non reds want what they want, until they come together it's just never going to happen!!

Edited by Fat Haggis

So we have a global economic downturn, but the PTP weather men think it still the Junta's fault for the sluggish economy. Interesting.

Maybe Prayut and the team should tell a white lie and suggest there will not be an economic contraction, but in fact economic growth. That would keep the PTP at bay right? Keep the hounds away from the doorstep. Surely Prayut knows that it will create confidence by lying about this. Sometimes they need to lie to create good feelings right? Remember the goal is to create confidence, which in turn benefits the country's economy as a whole. Surely Prayut knows this.

​What Prayut knows is that lying to the population is wrong and holds the majority in contempt.

"She went on to say that she did not agree with the government's economic team, which is blaming the global slowdown for Thai economic woes"

Hang on....When the PTP were in power and witnessing a global economic downturn Kittiratt (the white liar) admitted that sometimes he had to exaggerate about the country's economic growth even though he was fully aware that the global economic slowdown was likely to affect Thailand. So when the PTP are in power they are allowed to blame the global downturn and lie, but when the big bad Junta are in power that is not the case and they are not even acknowledged for telling the truth about the economy..

This is very rich coming from a person speaking on behalf of a political party that blamed inflation on "Hot Weather making people imagine the price of goods was becoming more expensive". If these shins were so smart I would have thought they would have come up with a better excuse than that. But the people they targeted that excuse on were not much smarter so it would have been swallowed as fact. I wonder if air conditioner sales increased to counter the effects of this imaginary inflation?

​So while the PTP economic advisers weather men make their small political white noise try create fear they should just let the Junta get on with weathering (pun intended) the global economic storm.

PTP logic dictates to save the economy you need to buy an air conditioner. No wonder the Junta are not listening to them.

While I complete agree, I still need to say that I don't see any genius acts from Prayut that helps the economic.....Just cutting away some bureaucratic would help. Or ease the Business Visa process to get more foreign experts to Thailand.....Things that could be done in an hour.

The true expression of democracy that led to Yingluck being elected actually worsened Thailand's economic woes - the 300 baht minimum wage policy was certainly one factor in jobs moving overseas, for example. I was in Thailand prior to that election and just despaired at the 'let's-vote-ourselves-rich' mentality of the Thais.

Getting rich on 300 bahts a day you have to be joking. Vote ourselves rich? Are you the descendant of one of those plantation owners of the 1800's? Big business seeking slave like wages has descended like a cloud of darkness over our planet. They had their chance a few decades ago to play fair with workers but instead choose to shove the extra profits in their pockets. CEO's in general make 10 times more than their average worker compared to say 4 decades ago. All these marvelous improvements in technology has only planted big business firmer in the drivers seat as now they can pick and choose their workers and also choose what to pay them and with their greed mentality they pay as little as possible de-humanizing their workers and filling them with insecurities. The workers are on a treadmill to nowhere and this is just fine with big business. Under the new TPP trade deal America will finally conqueror Vietnam not with guns but economically. They are seeking every nook and cranny where they can exploit the government and "work" with the government in controlling the masses. They want to turn the whole planet into another Bangladesh. A good example is the "Koch brothers" who want to make America great again. Great for who? Did America not enrich the Kochs enough with billions in profit what more do they wish to gain oh yes slavery for all. Like all slavery in the past the masses will arise sometime in the future(I hope I am pushing up daisies by then) and when they do I hope like during the French Revolution they still use madame Guillotine. Before using her I hope they stuff the unfortunate billionaires mouth full of money. He can use it to pay the boatman when crossing the river Styx on his way to Hades.

Everything nice what you tell:

Please explain me what is the benefit for the worker who got 250 Baht before, but lost his job because the ugly CEO moved the garment production to Cambodia?

Now he would get 300 Baht but in fact he get 0 Baht because he lost the job.

Everyone reliable and sober already got more than 300 Baht so the increase is only for the least productive labor which are the easiest to replace.

The only way to help the people is free education and making it easy to open own business. Everything else doesn't work.

This whole education first is a red herring,education based on what and whose mandates?

You mean the forcing of red school propagand and now the generals 12 core values?

Without reconciliation educational reform isn't going to happen, both sides need to reconcile and have a common interest that suits BOTH sides when it comes to educational needs.

The Reds want what they want, the Junta and the Non reds want what they want, until they come together it's just never going to happen!!

I think there is no common interest. Beside the red propaganda and the 12 core values I never heard someone thinking how to improve on mathematics, physics, foreign languages, etc etc.....

Maybe the report originator, Mrs Deputy S-G, is unaware that there is a real global economic cooling.

Check the BRIC countries results, Brazil, Russia and China are slowing, and India is holding about level.

A change of government in Thailand is no guarantee of any change in the country's economic status. ( But, no doubt a salary boost for Mrs Deputy S-G)

She apparently believes simply restoring democracy will boost the economy. No details, plans or explanations about the link between the two and how that might particularly given the current state of world economies.

She even thinks that a non elected criminal fugitive dictating policy and making decisions carried out by a government he appoints with MP's he pays a salary too is democracy.

Not this little black duck.

But:

The people elect a government. The government manages governing in whatever way it thinks the voters which elected it intended - that is after all, what they are elected to do. That may involve listening to one or many people; the Democrats listened to the elites or their spokespeople (and only the elites or their spokespeople), PTP listened to Thaksin.

Then the people re-elected the same people, advised or directed by the same person in full knowledge and foresight as to who the advisor was.

I don't see the problem - it seems like democracy at work to me. If you do see a problem, then get elected and change the landscape. Or become an advisor of course.

I think there is no common interest. Beside the red propaganda and the 12 core values I never heard someone thinking how to improve on mathematics, physics, foreign languages, etc etc.....

Now your posts have sustenance H90, and this one is spot on, there is no common interest, it should be a single syllabus in all schools, both Primary and secondary, where the grounding of basic education takes shape.

It's not about improving The 3 R's, or the sciences, it's about improving the manner in which they are taught, they should all be from the same text books, no differences.

Thai History itself shouldn't be manipulated to suit, you need to explain the bad things, as well as the good, you need balance.

Prime example is the plans to remove Thaksin's name, and eliminate him from their history books if the Junta get their way, use him as an example of how something that had potential good, ended up being bad for the country, just like the coups, they are part of their history, teach it, don't ignore it, or it will keep repeating itself!!

Now your posts have sustenance H90, and this one is spot on, there is no common interest, it should be a single syllabus in all schools, both Primary and secondary, where the grounding of basic education takes shape.

It's not about improving The 3 R's, or the sciences, it's about improving the manner in which they are taught, they should all be from the same text books, no differences.

Thai History itself shouldn't be manipulated to suit, you need to explain the bad things, as well as the good, you need balance.

Prime example is the plans to remove Thaksin's name, and eliminate him from their history books if the Junta get their way, use him as an example of how something that had potential good, ended up being bad for the country, just like the coups, they are part of their history, teach it, don't ignore it, or it will keep repeating itself!!

Didn't Stalin do much the same thing? But he still died and he's still remembered as a monster so I guess it didn't do him as much good as he thought it would.

Not this little black duck.

But:

The people elect a government. The government manages governing in whatever way it thinks the voters which elected it intended - that is after all, what they are elected to do. That may involve listening to one or many people; the Democrats listened to the elites or their spokespeople (and only the elites or their spokespeople), PTP listened to Thaksin.

Then the people re-elected the same people, advised or directed by the same person in full knowledge and foresight as to who the advisor was.

I don't see the problem - it seems like democracy at work to me. If you do see a problem, then get elected and change the landscape. Or become an advisor of course.

What? PTP were never re-elected. They won with the largest minority in 2011. Now, how many democracies, republics or constitutional monarchies do you know that would allow a convicted fugitive criminal to pay all the members of his party a salary, greater than their official stipend, and openly cavort with and instruct them?

The majority of Thia people never voted for PTP and no one, absolutely no one voted for the criminal Thaksin.

Your idea of democracy, law, ethics, morals and a fair society must be unique. Or are you from Zimbabwe?

Didn't Stalin do much the same thing? But he still died and he's still remembered as a monster so I guess it didn't do him as much good as he thought it would.

Yes, removing Thaksin from the history books is not a good thing. His story needs telling to help prevent other corrupt, unethical, immoral power mad fraudsters from doing the same thing again.

Just the same as the stories of how the mega rich elites also manipulate and control to keep the status quo and protect their family interests.

But no one in Thailand is that interested in the truth, and certainly don't want to learn by it; unless copying it.

No there aren't !!! Who ?

The problem of populist policies is similar to kids eating sweets. They are sweet and make you feel nice but the transitory comfort ends up with rotted teeth and diabetes similarly drugs provide a temporary release from reality but eventually you have to come down and that is even more unpleasant than sugar depravation. The general populace is stupid here as in nearly everywhere and the politicians are no better than the common man other than their honed traitorous skills of corruption which the ordinary sheeplike Thai even accepts withoutuch argument. Until that attitude changes the country will continue to flap aimlessly about like a grounded fish.

How very fox news. Providing social systems infantilizes people.

I guess being penniless, poorly educated, homeless or terminally ill with no money or insurance is a sign of adult maturity.