10-year-old Thai boy electrocuted by water cooler

webfact

Electric water cooler electrocutes small boy

51-wpcf_728x413.jpg

ANG THONG: -- A 10-year-old boy student died from electrocution after he was unaware of electricity leak from a water cooler in his school.

Phothong district police in Ang Thong province were alerted of the incident by an elementary school administrator yesterday that a Grade 4 level boy student was electrocuted by the water cooler.

Investigation revealed that the boy was electrocuted after he plugged the cooler to a power source to make it function. As he touched the cooler, he was electrocuted.

They were told that the cooler was out of order for some time and the boy connected it to the power outlet herself.

But police said they would find out why this cooler was placed alongside the good one despite it did not work and leaked electricity.

They would decide if it was the carelessness of the school to put them closer together though the leaked cooler was disconnected to power source.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/electric-water-cooler-electrocutes-small-boy

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-11

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry but the school has an obvious duty of care especially when dealing with children in prathom, to ensure their saftey at all times whilst at school. To simply tell the students that it is broken, to not plug it in, but leave the cooler there, where is can be plugged in is simply unacceptable. It should have been removed immediately. No excuses, the school and its staff failed in their duty of care.

About time Thailand introduced Portable Appliance Testing...

A earth leakage trip should also be mandatory on machines like that.

Not only electrical issues but also looks like a breading ground for all sorts of nasty bacteria.

There are usually 2 steps to a safe isolation. First you turn the equipment off (in this case by pulling the plug) and then you make sure it can't be restarted by use of danger tags and locks or other methods. In this case, simply cutting off the plug would have prevented a death.

What a terrible waste of a young life why the hell was this water cooler not moved or even scrapped but we all know nothing will happen the school will go on as normal as if nothing happened it will all be forgotten come the end of the week . My prayers and thoughts are with the deceased family R.I.P little fella !

Tragic accident , One thing I find with Thais , my wfe and family especially , they walk past something if its broken or not working properly with no attempt to fix it properly, get it fixed or throw it out. I got fed up with it as it was turning a nice house into a crack house and I wrote a list of things to replace/repair or throw out while I was away at work, ceiling fan, door lock and catch not working properly,dining chairs with rungs broken, Cable TV remote with non functioning on/off button for 2 years, she did it all but it was like pulling teeth

School obviously not interested in the childrens safety water cooler not wired through a RCBO or if that was to expensive could have bought an all plastic water cooler, if they dont care about the childrens wellbeing cant see them having much interest in their education or cleanliness about the school by the green algae growing around the cooler, and can only offer my sincere condolences to the young childs family and friends and the little one now RIP.

Sorry but the school has an obvious duty of care especially when dealing with children in prathom, to ensure their saftey at all times whilst at school. To simply tell the students that it is broken, to not plug it in, but leave the cooler there, where is can be plugged in is simply unacceptable. It should have been removed immediately. No excuses, the school and its staff failed in their duty of care.

if it is heavy and no one know what to do, just cutting of the cable would have been enough.....Even a teacher can do that.

It's funny how these electrocutions happen and no one ever mentiones why the fuse did not blow. Is it always replaced by coins or a nail etc?

I have taken 230 volts (the current Thailand has) on my fingers and yes it stings, but will not kill you. Of course having water added to the formula makes it more dangerous, but a 10A fuse would have blown manyfold before killing the kid.

I was at a major resort, getting a cup of coffee on the patio. Rooms were on the beach, so walked over barefoot. Grabbed the coffee pot on the outdoor deck and was knocked down. The fall broke the circuit, but I was stunned for well over an hour. Could hardly feel anything in my arm. Hot coffee was all over me. Staff barely attended to me.

When Thailand's Lawyers finally realise how much money they can make from all these dreadful tragedies, they'll be very rich.

Then, perhaps some things might change.

But I feel so sorry for this young lad, I just hope his parents can one day recover.

Losing a child is simply a vile experience.

About time Thailand introduced Portable Appliance Testing...

A earth leakage trip should also be mandatory on machines like that.

Not only electrical issues but also looks like a breading ground for all sorts of nasty bacteria.

Usually there is an earth wire connected to the outer "shell". But how does it help if there is no earth wire in the house and no detection in fuse board.....

It's funny how these electrocutions happen and no one ever mentiones why the fuse did not blow. Is it always replaced by coins or a nail etc?

I have taken 230 volts (the current Thailand has) on my fingers and yes it stings, but will not kill you. Of course having water added to the formula makes it more dangerous, but a 10A fuse would have blown manyfold before killing the kid.

Technician Koo, can you please tell because I seem to be an absolute novice and you can probably tell me at what current a safety breaker operates.

Haha, the fuse of 10A should have blown first. What a fairytale.

No "out of order" sign because teachers were illiterate.

By the way, there will be compensation. If it's a poor family they'll get a 5 kg bag of rice. JASMINE rice due to generosity of administration.​

sad.png The family of a firefighter in Bangkok killed in the line of duty received B10,000. Finished, end of story.sad.png

I missing the comment of RTP,

no outside impact on the victims body were found -

sure heart attac !

RIP my por boy - all your life still were before you !!

Careless of adult authorities !!

Panish panish panish them,

min 5 years jail term !#and not 2.000,- thb !!!