Tourist visa extension madness

A foreigner staying in a private residence in Thailand must have his or her stay reported within 24 hours by the Owner of the place where he or she stays.

This is reported to the local police

This law is not new in has been effect for at least 10 years.

In many parts of the country it has never been applied, as the police just didn't have the personnel or equipment to do this in places like Bangkok, Phuket, or Pattaya.

But it in effect, and still on the books.

That is what they were trying to tell you.......no one ever reported your arrival and stay in Thailand as should have been done.

A lot of foreigners are getting into trouble with this law recently.

Technically if they stay with a Thai "friend" in the Thai friend's residence the Thai friend is supposed to do the reporting, but not many Thais and many police stations don't know this law still applies.

It is the same law that is the reason why when you check into a guesthouse or hotel, they copy your passport to report your stay with them.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

If I remember right, ANY person NOT a Thai citizen, MUST report their address every 90 days, and change of address....... I think you have 5 days to report a change of address. There is some regulation that if I go to WHEREVER in Thailand ( I live in Pattaya ) and stay for a few days, I must report address to Immigration or police station ( most police stations have no idea ) - but have never heard of it being strongly enforced

There are MANY conflicting "regulations" and many different ways immigration offices READ / operate / enforce the regulations - it's what the officer thinks the regulation says.

UNLESS you have a PERMANENT RESIDENT ID CARD, { IT IS NOT THE ONE YOU USE FOR A DRIVERS LICENSE CERTIFICATE} you must report your address EVERY 90 DAYS

Be smart, report every 90 days your address...I usually report 5 days before.....renew your """"RETIREMENT / MARRIAGE VISA"""" ( permission to stay ) up to 30 days in advance. Last time I went to Jomtien for my 90 days, the officer told me I could renew my """""retirement visa""""" in 2 days. ( 8 minute office visit )

I hate problems - period. One time was enough for me, although it was nothing of great importance.

Usually I am in and out in less than 15 mins ( for anything ) and have ALL the paperwork necessary ( 3 copies paperwork needed for THAT trip, 3 photos - not needed, and ( have saved 3 copies of ) all the paperwork and docuements I have ever given to immigration - not needed, in a 30Bt plastic folder that I take with me.

One last thought, ALWAYS CHECK YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE, make sure it is the paperwork / stamp / permit you wanted - multiple entry permit problems come to mind here.

Each officer will process over 75 requests a day, despite what people say, I feel they are overworked and under paid. People can make MISTAKES!!!

BE POLITE, it will NOT hurt you. Every time I go to immigration, when my turn comes, I wai the officer ( the last time was a lady - she broke into a big smile - under 2 minutes at her desk ) before I sit at the desk and after I leave.....its POLITE!!

Edited by edwardflory
  • Like 1

If I remember right, ANY person NOT a Thai citizen, MUST report their address every 90 days, and change of address....... I think you have 5 days to report a change of address. There is some regulation that if I go to WHEREVER in Thailand ( I live in Pattaya ) and stay for a few days, I must report address to Immigration or police station ( most police stations have no idea ) - but have never heard of it being enforced

There are MANY conflicting "regulations" and many different ways immigration offices READ / operate / enforce the regulations - it's what the officer thinks the regulation says.

UNLESS you have a PERMANENT RESIDENT ID CARD, { IT IS NOT THE ONE YOU USE FOR A DRIVERS LICENSE CERTIFICATE} you must report your address EVERY 90 DAYS

Be smart, report every 90 days your address...I usually report 5 days before.....renew your """"RETIREMENT / MARRIAGE VISA"""" ( permission to stay ) up to 30 days in advance. Last time I went to Jomtien for my 90 days, the officer told me I could renew my """""retirement visa""""" in 2 days. ( 8 minute trip )

I hate problems - period. One time was enough for me, although it was nothing of great importance.

Usually I am in and out in less than 15 mins and have ALL the paperwork necessary ( 3 copies paperwork needed for THAT trip, 3 photos - not needed, and ( have saved 3 copies of ) all the paperwork and docuements I have ever given to immigration - not needed, in a 30Bt plastic folder.

One last thought, ALWAYS CHECK YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE, make sure it is the paperwork / stamp / permit you wanted - multiple entry permit problems come to mind here.

Each officer will process over 75 requests a day, despite what people say, I feel they are overworked and under paid.

The 90 days notification (TM47) has nothing to do with the TM28 form notifying your change of address and/or province

Edited by Siriam
  • Like 2

If I remember right, ANY person NOT a Thai citizen, MUST report their address every 90 days, and change of address....... I think you have 5 days to report a change of address. There is some regulation that if I go to WHEREVER in Thailand ( I live in Pattaya ) and stay for a few days, I must report address to Immigration or police station ( most police stations have no idea ) - but have never heard of it being strongly enforced

Be smart, report every 90 days your address...I usually report 5 days before.....renew your """"RETIREMENT / MARRIAGE VISA"""" ( permission to stay ) up to 30 days in advance. Last time I went to Jomtien for my 90 days, the officer told me I could renew my """""retirement visa""""" in 2 days. ( 8 minute office visit )

Usually I am in and out in less than 15 mins ( for anything ) and have ALL the paperwork necessary ( 3 copies paperwork needed for THAT trip, 3 photos - not needed, and ( have saved 3 copies of ) all the paperwork and docuements I have ever given to immigration - not needed, in a 30Bt plastic folder that I take with me.

Each officer will process over 75 requests a day, despite what people say, I feel they are overworked and under paid. People can make MISTAKES!!!

BE POLITE, it will NOT hurt you. Every time I go to immigration, when my turn comes, I wai the officer ( the last time was a lady - she broke into a big smile - under 2 minutes at her desk ) before I sit at the desk and after I leave.....its POLITE!!

I wai the officer ( the last time was a lady - she broke into a big smile - under 2 minutes at her desk ) before I sit at the desk and after I leave.....its POLITE!!

Definitely. Best to be polite. I always 'Kop Khun ..../thank'. I used to wai, then i read that the wai is only to be used by Thai People. The web site (a popular one about Thai Culture and Etiquette) said, foreigners can return a wai. It also said, if you're carrying bags, a wai can be returned with a nod or a smile, but never initiate a wai.

Edited by meltingpot2015
  • Like 1

Hallo!

This is probably true, but a hopeless scale for us who live private! I am married and live with my wife up in Khon Kaen in our own home so it must be reported every time I Arrivals with in 24h. (48 hrs. Gives 500 fee) either the TM28 or TM30.
I also have my own apartment in Pattaya as it repeats the same there too + I also make sure to enroll my 90 days in Pattaya since that is where I have my house book.
Immigration in KK refused me to stamp there in Isan according also new rules. If you rent it the landlord is obliged to notify and not you who rents in TM30.

• Like 1

Hi every one, a question on the subject that could interest every of us expats about the TM28

Next week I'm going to Bangkok to buy a new car, I will stay between one week and a little more, I do not know exactly, of course I will go to an hotel, do I have to declare something to Samui's immigration? I thought not...but here one never knows facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Th IO did not applied the law, he illegally extorted an innocent foreigner of Bt 800 and I would be curious to see if OP got a receipt.

The point you made above that since the OP rented a room for 4 days he's considered master of the house if ridiculous, for two good reasons:

1, the master of the House is the person that is register as housemaster in the house book. he's the one responsible to report foreigners.

2. A short time room rental, often without a written contract, is not enough to make anyone "master of the house" and responsible for whatever immigration regulation.

The OP should have called with the home owner and have them fight between themselves. When Thai immigration do these kind of things is invariably to sting a foreigner, like an husband in the cases mentioned above.

@ Matej "I rent a small room and moving relatively often ... Actually 4 days ago"

The OP has confirmed that he is renting and that makes him a tenant. Unless the Owner is living with the OP at the property that makes the OP the House-Master. House-Master being the "chief possessor" of the address being reported. He became the Chief Possessor the minute he moved in and as long as he stays more than 24 hours either he or the owner must submit a TM30.

The duration of his stay over 24 hours is irrelevant, however, the OP didn't say he has "rented a room for 4 days" he implied that he'd only lived at the address for 4 days.

"the master of the house is the person that is register as housemaster in the house book"

Completely untrue!.

The house-master is the Chief Possessor, "whether in the capacity of owner, tenant, or in any other capacity whatsoever".

"he's the one responsible to report foreigners"

The owner is always responsible, however, if they are not the Chief Possessor (living in the property) then the responsibility is joint with whoever the Chief possessor is, which in this case would be the OP as the tenant.

Section 38 gives responsibility to The House-Master OR the Owner OR the possessor. If the intention of section 38 was to give sole responsibility, in all cases to the owner, it would say that!

Bottom line.......

If the Owner is the House-Master (Chief Possessor) then they have SOLE responsibility to report.

If the Owner is not the House-Master, which they are not if they don't live in the property, then the Owner AND the House-Master have JOINT responsibility.

It has been reported enough times to know that an Alien can submit the TM30 in the capacity of tenant. Fines that have been reported have been applied to the Thai partner because they are either the owner of the property or considered the chief possessor.

Immigration, not rogue IO's, are clearly tightening up on TM30's as reports are coming from different offices.

Accusing this IO of "illegally extorted an innocent foreigner of Bt 800" for doing his job is out of order. He applied the same fine of 800 baht reported by others at other offices and gave a receipt.

interesting topic

i live up here in the sticks in isaan. the owner of the home we live in and i pay rent for informally is a local 'big wig' - and the uncle of my gf, he sort of makes his own rules and gets away with it. he tells me - through his australian educated ddaughter - i don't need to bother about registration or yellow house book etc. BUT - about to go to nakhon phanom next week to get my first ever 30 day extension to my 60 day tourist visa...

so, am i gonna get done for not having been registered?

also, please, if i do hold a yellow tb, will i still need to get registered every time i show up - about 3 to 4 times a year?

thanking every one in advance for their kind attention to my request.

I wai the officer ( the last time was a lady - she broke into a big smile - under 2 minutes at her desk ) before I sit at the desk and after I leave.....its POLITE!!

Definitely. Best to be polite. I always 'Kop Khun ..../thank'. I used to wai, then i read that the wai is only to be used by Thai People. The web site (a popular one about Thai Culture and Etiquette) said, foreigners can return a wai. It also said, if you're carrying bags, a wai can be returned with a nod or a smile, but never initiate a wai.

Bowing with a smile is perfect, a wai to an IO is not, too much at least IMHO.

Unless he gave you some kind of favour? And you wish to thank him very much, kop khun maak maak, then maybe one could wai appropriately.

I return the wai only to older people if they are rather young never, I bow lightly with a smile.

• Like 1

A foreigner staying in a private residence in Thailand must have his or her stay reported within 24 hours by the Owner of the place where he or she stays.

This is reported to the local police

This law is not new in has been effect for at least 10 years.

In many parts of the country it has never been applied, as the police just didn't have the personnel or equipment to do this in places like Bangkok, Phuket, or Pattaya.

But it in effect, and still on the books.

That is what they were trying to tell you.......no one ever reported your arrival and stay in Thailand as should have been done.

A lot of foreigners are getting into trouble with this law recently.

Technically if they stay with a Thai "friend" in the Thai friend's residence the Thai friend is supposed to do the reporting, but not many Thais and many police stations don't know this law still applies.

It is the same law that is the reason why when you check into a guesthouse or hotel, they copy your passport to report your stay with them.

I could just imagine the owner of the rented property I live in turning up at Lom Sak police station to tell them I have just arrived,the owner of the property is probably unaware of this law and the police I can imagine would look at them gone out and enforced accordingly.

Again herein lies the problem in Thailand,the laws and regulations are the same for every province yet they differ so greatly between each province nothing is set in stone.

Thousands of Thai visa members know the rules and regulations but the people who should be enforcing them either don't or do but don t care a toss.

Edited by stoneyboy
  • Like 2

Th IO did not applied the law, he illegally extorted an innocent foreigner of Bt 800 and I would be curious to see if OP got a receipt.

The point you made above that since the OP rented a room for 4 days he's considered master of the house if ridiculous, for two good reasons:

1, the master of the House is the person that is register as housemaster in the house book. he's the one responsible to report foreigners.

2. A short time room rental, often without a written contract, is not enough to make anyone "master of the house" and responsible for whatever immigration regulation.

The OP should have called with the home owner and have them fight between themselves. When Thai immigration do these kind of things is invariably to sting a foreigner, like an husband in the cases mentioned above.

@ Matej "I rent a small room and moving relatively often ... Actually 4 days ago"

The OP has confirmed that he is renting and that makes him a tenant. Unless the Owner is living with the OP at the property that makes the OP the House-Master. House-Master being the "chief possessor" of the address being reported. He became the Chief Possessor the minute he moved in and as long as he stays more than 24 hours either he or the owner must submit a TM30.

The duration of his stay over 24 hours is irrelevant, however, the OP didn't say he has "rented a room for 4 days" he implied that he'd only lived at the address for 4 days.

"the master of the house is the person that is register as housemaster in the house book"

Completely untrue!.

The house-master is the Chief Possessor, "whether in the capacity of owner, tenant, or in any other capacity whatsoever".

"he's the one responsible to report foreigners"

The owner is always responsible, however, if they are not the Chief Possessor (living in the property) then the responsibility is joint with whoever the Chief possessor is, which in this case would be the OP as the tenant.

Section 38 gives responsibility to The House-Master OR the Owner OR the possessor. If the intention of section 38 was to give sole responsibility, in all cases to the owner, it would say that!

Bottom line.......

If the Owner is the House-Master (Chief Possessor) then they have SOLE responsibility to report.

If the Owner is not the House-Master, which they are not if they don't live in the property, then the Owner AND the House-Master have JOINT responsibility.

It has been reported enough times to know that an Alien can submit the TM30 in the capacity of tenant. Fines that have been reported have been applied to the Thai partner because they are either the owner of the property or considered the chief possessor.

Immigration, not rogue IO's, are clearly tightening up on TM30's as reports are coming from different offices.

Accusing this IO of "illegally extorted an innocent foreigner of Bt 800" for doing his job is out of order. He applied the same fine of 800 baht reported by others at other offices and gave a receipt.

The owner of the house lives there with his whole family. He is some kind of local politician/public officer.

I will talk with him today and tell him what happened. I'm pretty sure he don't know anything about this law. If you are Thai and you have a few BMW parked in your garage the laws ussualy don't apply to you.

Maybe I can have my money back, you never know. In this country corruption and nepotism ... All day and everywhere.

• Like 1

No. Renting a room does not make anyone "chief possessor" in any way. People that does cannot even additional guests without consent from the owner. Only the owner of the place wherever he lives, must report foreigners.

And the way, a room in a guesthouse or private residence is not even an individual unit of living (housebook unit). Only the entire property is.

Sorry, but you're just making this up.

It is absurd that you here trying to read "intentions" in a piece of Thai law, just to place a foreigner into a position that both by law and common sense is not is one.

Bottom line: The IO did not "just applied a fine". He applied to the wrong person. With that he abused his powers, and acted illegally. Sad to see someone defending injustice.

As usual Paz you have no reasoned argument and are becoming incomprehensible.

'Tenant'

"a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord."

I could just imagine the owner of the rented property I live in turning up at Lom Sak police station to tell them I have just arrived,the owner of the property is probably unaware of this law and the police I can imagine would look at them gone out.

Again herein lies the problem in Thailand,the laws and regulations are the same for every province yet they differ so greatly between each province nothing is set in stone and enforced accordingly.

Thousands of Thai visa members know the rules and regulations but the people who should be enforcing them either don't or do but don t care a toss.

The last post was slightly garbled and the time to edit has expired I have adjusted it accordingly as it should read.

If I remember right, ANY person NOT a Thai citizen, MUST report their address every 90 days, and change of address.......

Not relevant to this thread. A different issue is discussed here. By the way, politeness is not effective against abuse.

politeness is not effective against abuse.

great to see someone call it like they see it.

• Like 2

'Tenant'

As usual you go into a spinning just not to concede that you was wrong in first place.

Maybe I'm "incomprehensible" to you, but since others have received what I'm saying enough well enough to star rate it, perhaps a problem with your understanding?

Anyway, 1st the definition of tenant above is correct for those that rent stability with a contract. Not those renting room like in a guesthouse.

And, in any case, it is not the foreign tenant (guest in this case) that has do declare presence to Thai immigration. It is the (Thai) owner.

So, fining foreigners for that is illegal, unjust and disdainful for the country image.

If you keep saying otherwise you will just cause more laughs.

• Like 1

The owner of the house lives there with his whole family. He is some kind of local politician/public officer.

I will talk with him today and tell him what happened. I'm pretty sure he don't know anything about this law. If you are Thai and you have a few BMW parked in your garage the laws ussualy don't apply to you.

Maybe I can have my money back, you never know. In this country corruption and nepotism ... All day and everywhere.

If the owner lives at the address then he is responsible and should have been the one to pay the fine. But regardless a fine was due and I doubt immigration will give a refund. The owner owes you 800 baht.

IMO you are still a tenant because you are paying rent, but because the owner lives there they become the house-master as the CHEIF possessor. Owner trumps tenant.

It's a law that very few people (landlords) know exists and difficult to enforce which is why people tend to get caught out when doing extensions.

Based on this info the IO was wrong to fine you. His only excuse could be if he wasn't aware that the owner lived at the address.

Good luck and I hope you get your money back.

It's not about the money, but the principle. You go to the landlord with a quiet attitude (no need to take the imposed smiling that some foreigner think is mandatory to interact with Thais in all occasions) and show him the fine receipt. Ask him if he thinks that's right that you paid it. If he says that's right you will know the quality of the person you're dealing with, and you can chose to pay rent to someone else in the future.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

@op:

officer started reading something from code of law in Thai, I didn't understand anything

As soon as this happens ask to speak to a senior officer.

All immigration officers are part of Police. Always get their name. Don't know if Thai Police have badge numbers on their uniforms (like in some countries). If they do, get both their name and police badge number.

edited: from OP it seemed that you were not issued with a reciept, but from post #23 it seems you were. still seems fishy.

Has anyone done 90-day reporting at the 7-eleven?. I remember reading a thread about this on this forum.

Edited by meltingpot2015

This whole thing with address reporting has really confused me for a while especially the tm28.

If I leave my apartment here in Pattaya and spend two nights down on Koh Chang, am I REALLY expected to find a tm28 form, fill it out and go find the Koh Chang police station and turn in the form to the BiB?

If I go spend a weekend with my friend in Udon, does he have to report to immigration that I stayed in his house for a couple of nights? Again do I need to go report myself to the local police office?

This seems crazy, but as I read it, that is exactly what they expect you to do.

• Like 2

This whole thing with address reporting has really confused me for a while especially the tm28.

If I leave my apartment here in Pattaya and spend two nights down on Koh Chang, am I REALLY expected to find a tm28 form, fill it out and go find the Koh Chang police station and turn in the form to the BiB?

If I go spend a weekend with my friend in Udon, does he have to report to immigration that I stayed in his house for a couple of nights? Again do I need to go report myself to the local police office?

This seems crazy, but as I read it, that is exactly what they expect you to do.

Exactly I stayed with my sister in law in ayyuthaya a couple of weeks back for 3 nights,by rights she should have reported my presence to the police.

As if she's going to dash out and do such a stupid thing,not that she would know she was supposed to anyway.

Edited by stoneyboy
  • Like 1

'Tenant'

As usual you go into a spinning just not to concede that you was wrong in first place.

Maybe I'm "incomprehensible" to you, but since others have received what I'm saying enough well enough to star rate it, perhaps a problem with your understanding?

Anyway, 1st the definition of tenant above is correct for those that rent stability with a contract. Not those renting room like in a guesthouse.

And, in any case, it is not the foreign tenant (guest in this case) that has do declare presence to Thai immigration. It is the (Thai) owner.

So, fining foreigners for that is illegal, unjust and disdainful for the country image.

If you keep saying otherwise you will just cause more laughs.

I'm always happy to admit when I'm wrong and as soon as you prove I am I'll happily do so.

The OP never mentioned staying in a guesthouse. Anyone staying in a guesthouse would not be responsible for the TM30.

He said, "I got hint for my current condo from my friend". Anyone renting a condo would be jointly responsible for the TM30. My comments were based on that information and I did say "Unless the Owner is living with the OP at the property", which I'm sure you didn't bother reading.

The immigration act makes no mention of only Thai tenants/owners. More misinformation and deflection!! And reports from TV members confirm that immigration take TM30 reports from foreign tenants.

Your theory is flawed as foreigners can own condos and rent them out. So if a foreign landlord rented his condo to a foreign tenant who would be responsible for submitting the TM30?

Glad I make you and your fan club happy. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Just to outline the stupidity of this ruling (TM30/TM28) as regards tourists, what would happen in this scenario:

The tourist (on a tourist visa as the OP was on) travels to Nakon Somewhere, arrives at 23:00 and books into a hotel.

First thing next morning, he goes to Nakon Somewhere immigration to extend his tourist visa for 30 days, giving the name of the hotel as his address.

Unless the law has changed, the hotel has until 12:00 to register the guest as staying at the hotel.

In the above case, the tourist's information would not be available to the immigration office. Both parties, hotel & tourist, are in the right, would immigration issue the 30 day extension?

• Like 1

Hallo!

This is probably true, but a hopeless scale for us who live private! I am married and live with my wife up in Khon Kaen in our own home so it must be reported every time I Arrivals with in 24h. (48 hrs. Gives 500 fee) either the TM28 or TM30.

I also have my own apartment in Pattaya as it repeats the same there too + I also make sure to enroll my 90 days in Pattaya since that is where I have my house book.

Immigration in KK refused me to stamp there in Isan according also new rules. If you rent it the landlord is obliged to notify and not you who rents in TM30.

Can i ask you a serious question?

If you travel out of the country, say for 2 weeks, to see friends, who do you report to locally that you are doing this? (I realize you will be stamped out of the country)

When coming into the country, i assume you put your own address on the TM card and are stamped back into the country? The main question is who initializes the contact with immigration (or the police) that leads to these fines (if you are late in reporting)?

The reason that i ask is, mostly through work, during my time in Thailand i have traveled both inside the country and outside, for periods of more than 24 hours literally hundreds of times and have never come across this issue. This is not just relevant to where i am living now but to other provinces as well where i have resided.

I know different offices have their own policies, but to me, and people like me involved in traveling through work, we would never be out of the offices. I feel a bit perplexed at times regarding this as i do try and stay inside the parameters of the law.

• Like 1