Flight to Udon Thani for $60 vs Vientiane for $160?

Which option did you guys choose? I'm weighing the time and hassle saved with the higher cost Vientiane flight against the lower price of the Udon flight.

I'm going to get ED visa if that matters.

EDIT: Looks like Google flights is inaccurate, the price to Vientiane is $180. And AirAsia has flights to Udon Thani for just $34 round-trip.

Edited by Hal65

I see the more expensive option from Laos air leaves at 7 AM and arrives at 835, which is almost perfect for getting everything taken care of at the consulate. The problem is I'm in Pattaya and the earliest bus leaves at 4:30 AM to Ekamai. (The direct airport bus schedule is too late for me).

it looks like I'm cutting too thin on the schedule. Has anyone else done the same thing? Were you able to get to the flight on time?

Edited by Hal65

I've done the opposite trip, from Vientienne to Udon, then to BKK from the Udon airport. It's easy, user friendly, and saves lots of money. You can get a shuttle right at the Udon airport to Vientienne. But be forewarned, I don't think Vientienne is worth the time to visit. Boring, nothing remarkable happening there.

I just booked to Udon a few days back at around 1200 bht all in return. Border run vans from the airport 200bht

Anyone know the best method to get from the border direct to the Thai Embassy? Im guessing its by Taxi at around 300bht or close to?

I fly from Chiang Mai to Undon Thani and then just catch a Mini Van. Taxi to the Embassy is from 300-400 baht. Don't take the offer of 600 baht on the Thai border that everyone offers. Keep away from Tuk Tuks; these guys are just robbers in disguise.

As for what to do in Vientiane, there is plenty to do if you are pro-active about it. I am never bored when I go there. In fact, I am going to spend a month in Laos next time I have to do my next visa run. If you cannot find fun in Vientiane or the surrounding area, you got to be a pretty boring person.

Figure on at least 3 hrs. to get from UTH to downtown Vientiane (and vice versa) depending on how busy Immigration is at Nong Khai. I've done it several times. Your constraints are: flight times and embassy opening/closing times.

I know this is the 'Internet' and some idiot will say they did it in 90 minutes. Pay no attention... as to someone who finds Vientiane boring with nothing going on.

Back you up cruisemonkey. I like udon so often stay a week. Last week I got the minibus from udon 50baht. To nongkai. Left on time 8am. Was a very smoother quick drive. Border crossing very smoothe , not that many people. Had money exchange for USD (good rate ) ..

I thought how easy is this. Then the tuk tuk rubbish. Paid 100 baht each myself and Thai gf. Then once in he hung around trying to get more customers. We picked people up and dropped off on way to Thai consulate. 6 stops. Got to consulate 11.15. Just made my lodgement.

Next time I take taxi or something other than tuk tuk . was lot further than I thought. My first and last time

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to take one bus from Udon Airport (or Udon City Centre) to Vientiane city?

So, the same bus stops while you get stamped out at Thai border, you return to the same bus, across the Friendship bridge, then at loas border bus waits again.

Once you complete loas visa, back on the same bus, which takes you to Vientiane.

What is the cost for this service and do we need to book in advance?. I heard there is a service from Udon city centre but its not very often.

Any ideas.

It's very cheap (hundred and something?) but you will need to get your Laos visa in advance if you plan on taking the international bus.

Are you sure about this? I took a bus from Mukdahon to Savannakhet and we did the arrival/departure cards and visa stamp stops (in both crossings)

It's very cheap (hundred and something?) but you will need to get your Laos visa in advance if you plan on taking the international bus.

Are you sure about this? I took a bus from Mukdahon to Savannakhet and we did the arrival/departure cards and visa stamp stops (in both crossings)

It has been reported many times that to take the Udon->Vientiane international bus, as a foreigner, you must already have a Lao visa. As you say, the rules are different for Mukdahan->Savannakhet.

Thanks for the update. There are only 10 days before my trip and I don't live in Bangkok. But I'll look into getting that Laos visa in advance to see if it's still a possibility.

I see the more expensive option from Laos air leaves at 7 AM and arrives at 835, which is almost perfect for getting everything taken care of at the consulate. The problem is I'm in Pattaya and the earliest bus leaves at 4:30 AM to Ekamai. (The direct airport bus schedule is too late for me).

it looks like I'm cutting too thin on the schedule. Has anyone else done the same thing? Were you able to get to the flight on time?

Why is that a problem? - just take a taxi or limo. It's the only way I'd do it. The trip is long enough as it is without making it longer.

The Udon Thani option is quite convenient really, and will get you to the Embassy early enough to take care of business.

Edited by tropo

Just to note there is an international bus to Vientiane from Khon Kaen and also a Lao Consulate to get a Lao visa.

Have you done this? Get loa visa from Loa consulate in Khon Kaen, then take international bus to Vientiane from Khon Kaen.

Can you pay visa fee in U.S dollars at consulate?.

Also, how long does it take to issue the loa visa?. (at loa consulate in Khon Kaen)

Just to note there is an international bus to Vientiane from Khon Kaen and also a Lao Consulate to get a Lao visa.

Have you done this? Get loa visa from Loa consulate in Khon Kaen, then take international bus to Vientiane from Khon Kaen.

Can you pay visa fee in U.S dollars at consulate?.

Also, how long does it take to issue the loa visa?. (at loa consulate in Khon Kaen)

No.I live in Khon Kaen. It's been a long tome since I crossed into Laos other than just a turn-around at the bridge. I always took the train. Visas are available immediate service for service charge. As to dollars I don't know.

Note that the Lao consulate is now on the main Highway 2 and the Vientiane bus eaves from the new terminal south of town.

http://www.thewayofslowtravel.com/2013/10/06/khon-kaen-vientiane-visa-run/

It has been reported many times that to take the Udon->Vientiane international bus, as a foreigner, you must already have a Lao visa. As you say, the rules are different for Mukdahan->Savannakhet.

I think it also depends on the length of the bus journey. There is also a Bangkok ->Vientiane bus, which likely wouldn't require a visa in advance simply because if the bus could transport you some 8 or 9 hours to the border, why would they have any objections towards waiting an extra 15-20 minutes for a few foreigners to get their visas, when Vientiane city is just another 30 mins down the road?

In the case of Udon and Nong Khai they probably can't justify this, due to the short journey times involved otherwise these bus services wouldn't be worth it as it would be quicker just to change transport modes at the border.

Coming back into Thailand there is never a problem though, unless you're one of the few foreign nationalities that actually needs a visa in advance (or VOA) to enter Thailand. But if you're coming back from the embassy with a visa then that solves the problem in any case.

• Like 1

I went for the Bangkok to Udon flight, then used the "limosine service" counter at Udon airport to buy 200 bhat ticket on quick and comfy van to friendship bridge (thai broder). Go through thai immigration getting stamped out.

Bus across the bridge for 20 Bhat. Go through Loas immigration. Taxi from there to Vientiane hotel for 10USD. some touts hanging around the entrance to LOas immigration counters, quoting 500 bhat, but once you go through Laos Immigration you can find taxi easy for 400 bhat or 10 USD.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it also depends on the length of the bus journey. There is also a Bangkok ->Vientiane bus, which likely wouldn't require a visa in advance simply because if the bus could transport you some 8 or 9 hours to the border, why would they have any objections towards waiting an extra 15-20 minutes for a few foreigners to get their visas, when Vientiane city is just another 30 mins down the road?

In the case of Udon and Nong Khai they probably can't justify this, due to the short journey times involved otherwise these bus services wouldn't be worth it as it would be quicker just to change transport modes at the border.

Coming back into Thailand there is never a problem though, unless you're one of the few foreign nationalities that actually needs a visa in advance (or VOA) to enter Thailand. But if you're coming back from the embassy with a visa then that solves the problem in any case.

The problem is it sometimes takes much longer than 20 minutes. It took around an hour on one occasion that I did the trip and I don't think other bus passengers would be up for sitting around at immigration for an hour after a long bus journey from Bangkok. It's safest to assume that you need a visa in advance I think and for anybody travelling from Bangkok there's no reason they can't get one at the Laos Embassy/Consulate or whatever it is in Ramkhamhaeng.

• 1 month later...

Is the Nok Fly & Ride service (from Chiang Mai) better than doing it yourself via Udon Thani?

Appreciate knowing of any decent, reasonably priced places to stay near the consulate or other recommended area?

Accompanying a guest and I don't know Vientiane at all, been 17 years since I was there.

No idea about the Nok air fly and ride service, but DIY from udon was a breeze.

Can recommend Lalco AR hotel on Saylom Road, Vientiane. Paid around 16 USD for standard room (incl. wifi and breaky). Second night upgraded to superior double room. Definitely worth paying a bit extra for this room type.

They have a free Vientiane International airport to/from Hotel shuttle service. But you would not be making use of this if you are going to/from udon to this hotel.

Edit: I paid 350 THB (around 10USD) for Taxi from Friendship bridge (laos side) to Vientiane centre. Ignore touts hanging around near the Loas immigration windows quoting 500-600 THB. negotiate taxi after going through Loas immigration.

Edited by meltingpot2015
  • Like 1

I paid 300 for that same Taxi (Laos Border to Embassy). It was the most expensive leg of my trip other than the flight, but I was late and could not wait for the minivan to fill up.

Edited by Hal65