Realistic cost of student loan for university (for a Thai)

BadCash

Short story: met a thai girl who has been studying "hotel and tourism" at Rajabhat University in Udonthani for four years on the weekends, while working at a hotel during the weeks. She says her student loan is roughly 250000 THB - to me that sounded like quite a lot! So I had a look in the pinned thread about university fees.

Some quick number crunching:

8 semesters, assuming 10000 THB per semester = 80000 THB

That leaves 170000 THB. Divided on four years that's 3500 THB/month.

That actually doesn't sound unreasonable, considering she's got a son as well. It would be interesting to hear if anyone here can give more accurate numbers, and perhaps tell me if 250000THB for four years of weekend courses is "normal" or not. If it's an absurd amount, I guess something's fishy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sounds about right to me. Weekend or "special" programs often have a higher tuition cost per credit than the "regular" programs.

250,000 THB / 4 years = 62,500 THB per year. Not really an absurd amount if you include tuition/fees/uniform AND living expenses.

As long as she got a government student loan and isn't in default, I think the interest rate is about 1%?

At my uni it is 7500 per semester, 3 semesters per year = 22,500 per year tuition fees for weekend students.

So a 4 year course would be a total of 90,000 Baht for tuition.

If there are no living expenses. Rent and food tends to drive up financial need.

Archived