Tech-savvy thief in Khon Kaen uses Google Maps to rob homes

webfact

Tech-savvy thief uses Google Maps to rob homes
By Coconuts Bangkok

11136616_10152448231029058_4249372259684
Photo: Google

KHON KAEN: -- The majority of people use Google Maps as a tool to help direct a lost taxi driver or find a place among a labyrinth of sois.

However, a man in Khon Kaen found another use for Google Maps.

Thotsawat Lert-arayakul, 22, was arrested at his apartment yesterday for allegedly using Google Maps to break into over 100 homes in luxury estates.

Thotsawat admitted to using Google Maps Street View to monitor the activities of residents who had strict schedules living in the estates. He targeted homes with low-level walls and fences and carried out the burglaries after 10pm.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/08/17/tech-savvy-thief-uses-google-maps-rob-homes

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-08-17

Can't quite figure this out as Google doesn't provide live-feeds so the imagery is usually static and dated. For example imagery of my "village" is from 2013. Imagery from Khon Kaen seems to be from July 2014 though there could be newer stuff being uploaded on a regular basis (not sure how often they redo the routes or if they do one area then move on, never to return).

Perhaps he used Google Maps to locate "high end" estates and then physically spied on them to ascertain the habits of the occupants.

Perhaps he used Google Maps to locate "high end" estates and then physically spied on them to ascertain the habits of the occupants.

Sounds plausible. One reason why in many countries there is a strict opposition to street view in private housing areas.

The popular camera drones are another tool for criminals.

Can't quite figure this out as Google doesn't provide live-feeds so the imagery is usually static and dated. For example imagery of my "village" is from 2013. Imagery from Khon Kaen seems to be from July 2014 though there could be newer stuff being uploaded on a regular basis (not sure how often they redo the routes or if they do one area then move on, never to return).

I also wondered the same as you, until I read all the way down.

It seems that all he was doing was checking to see what houses did not have a high fence in front, thereby making his entry easier.

Yes, it shows how "un-savvy" the reporter is. You are right. There is no way someone can monitor "activities" as the reporter said...not using Google Maps. The only thing he could do is pick out a high-end home with low security. Updating "street view" in any given city in Thailand could take years from one update of a static picture to the next update.

You are also correct, in that after picking out a home using Google Maps, he would probably drive to the home and monitor it for a several days, but the reporter couldn't get his words untied.

That may be what the reporter meant, but this is what he wrote:

"...Thotsawat admitted to using Google Maps Street View to monitor the activities of residents who had strict schedules living in the estates..."

Edited by oneday

Unless Google Street View is available inside private housing estates how would he know about the height of the wall around a house? Sounds like the problem is security of certain moobans letting in unauthorized people. Police should investigate those moobans and the security people responsible for them. Perhaps they'll find something a bit more organized than a lone cat burglar?

See the article and the comments on Bangkok Post from yesterday. It seems, that KK police really made a very unprofessionel statement, even they should know that Google Street View doesn't use Webcams (Hiding lack of ability providing security?).

I do not see how street view would help him learn the comings and goings of residents.

My place is a view taken from years ago and has not been updated since, it simply provides a snapshot.

Edited by jacko45k