New Thai banknote unveiled

webfact

some 'poor' - and very upset - woman at the check - out next to me at my local tesco lotus got the 'forgery' treatment today because she had tried to pay with one of them. apparently she got it out of an atm at renu nakhon! it was A BIG ISSUE!!!

they sure look very colourful and pretty...

OP article says "It will be circulated from Aug 21 onwards"

yes, i know what the article says but i also know what was past from one cashier to the next and the next and back again right in front of my eyes. i even told you where the woman said she got the thing from, so: what is your point?

some 'poor' - and very upset - woman at the check - out next to me at my local tesco lotus got the 'forgery' treatment today because she had tried to pay with one of them. apparently she got it out of an atm at renu nakhon! it was A BIG ISSUE!!!

yes, i know what the article says but i also know what was past from one cashier to the next and the next and back again right in front of my eyes. i even told you where the woman said she got the thing from, so: what is your point?
Chill, Man(fred).

"August 21 was chosen as the date for the exchange and distribution of the new 1,000 baht banknotes because it was the day when the late King Rama V announced the scrapping of slavery in Siam."

The bank jumped the gun and could get into trouble with the Bank of Thailand.

Just because the note was manufactured (last month) does not make it legal tender.

Point = the cashiers had the right to refuse to accept it.

<August 21 was chosen as the date for the exchange and distribution of the new 1,000 baht banknotes because it was the day when the late King Rama V announced the scrapping of slavery in Siam.>

But as we have been shown, slavery in Siam is still alive and well and sponsored by various influential and well placed members of the national elite.

Chill, Man(fred).

"August 21 was chosen as the date for the exchange and distribution of the new 1,000 baht banknotes because it was the day when the late King Rama V announced the scrapping of slavery in Siam."

The bank jumped the gun and could get into trouble with the Bank of Thailand.

Just because the note was manufactured (last month) does not make it legal tender.

Point = the cashiers had the right to refuse to accept it.

fully chilled.wink.png

the tesco guys / girls did refuse to accept it - after much holding it up against the light and plenty of discussions. told the lady to take it to the bank and have it changed for a 'standard' one. she had some more 'standard' ones in her purse - by now a lot of people incl. me were watching every move - that she said she had received in the same batch from that atm in r.n.

The point is that given it was not supposed to be circulated until 21 August, it is little wonder the person was given the forgery treatment. DOH! How can you not understand that?

Who cares a banknote is a banknote,,, All the bank notes from the same value should be same,,, to confusing and more counterfeit problems,,,,Wake up, looking for more trouble,,,,

They are the same except for the fact that recently the BOT has issued new notes to reflect His Majesty's ageing and newer look.

They vary in size to aid the "vision" impaired (if that's the correct term this week.)

No, the new one is to honour King Chulalongkorn, Rama V, who was indeed visionary. Our current king is Rama IX (also visionary, in case it sounds I'm implying otherwise).

Bit of trivia.....have you seen those pictures of an old guy stirring food in a wok? That's HM Rama V. I've seen the original photo from which those paintings and prints are copied.

The point is that given it was not supposed to be circulated until 21 August, it is little wonder the person was given the forgery treatment. DOH! How can you not understand that?

yes, a very valid question. how can i possibly not understand that?

It's certainly long past time for the 20 to go the way of the 10, replaced by coins

Please, no more coins. I love how Vietnam just has bills. Coins fall everywhere when I pull out my bills. No, I do not carry, or will carry, a change purse.

they must be many forgerys around for them to change the note

I would imagine that today, counterfeiting an old note, and counterfeiting a new note, would be easy with whatever note. The security details placed on the notes just make the honest people more secure, with the crooks laughing all the way to the bank. Technology is available in the home to make whatever you want, unfortunately.

I don't believe that not going to the 5,000 baht note is no longer permissible because it would allow you to carry money more easily across international borders. It would just make counterfeiting an even larger business. Your government is just distracting you as to why they really won't allow larger notes. Counterfeiting......

It's certainly long past time for the 20 to go the way of the 10, replaced by coins

And the nasty little 25 and 50 satangs to go forever. I only keep them to pay the toilet attendant when no water for flushing in the urinals.

I agree the satang coins are a pain-in-the-u-no-what. They're only dispensed by big box franchise stores. However, I like the 20 baht note mak mak. Also, 5k bills would be smart. When Yingluck left the country, a week after the coup d'etat which booted her husband out, she had 35 of the largest suitcases she could find, all stuffed with ......probably not lingerie.

.....and scrap those ridiculous 2 baht coins. You know they're bad when vendors have to use a marking pen to write a big black 2 on them.

Edited by boomerangutang

They should have 5,000 Baht notes.

Why?

The don't have in many other countries................. England, for example.

The Fifty Pound note is treated with disdain and only reluctantly accepted at most shops. The Twenty is better received and that equates broadly to..................... oh yes, 1,000 Baht.

They should have 5,000 Baht notes.

Why?

The don't have in many other countries................. England, for example.

The Fifty Pound note is treated with disdain and only reluctantly accepted at most shops. The Twenty is better received and that equates broadly to..................... oh yes, 1,000 Baht.

Why? Answer: for larger purchases and/or traveling around with larger amounts of money. Example: a used car in Thailand costs twice what the same car would cost in the US. Instead of carrying around two hundred 1,000 baht notes to pay the dealer, a buyer could do the payment with forty 5,000 baht notes.

Does anybody have more info on what is on the other side of the note? The BOT press release only says that the new design is to glorify His Majesty King Chulalongkorn for his incomparable contributions to the country.

What does it matter whats on the other side? It's just money...you get it, and you spend it! Who really cares what pretty pictures are on it?

I don't know why they don't just put 1,000 BEER TOKENS on it, that would do for me....

Does anybody have more info on what is on the other side of the note? The BOT press release only says that the new design is to glorify His Majesty King Chulalongkorn for his incomparable contributions to the country.

What does it matter whats on the other side? It's just money...you get it, and you spend it! Who really cares what pretty pictures are on it?

I don't know why they don't just put 1,000 BEER TOKENS on it, that would do for me....

Because I have a numismatic interest

Because I have a numismatic interest
Maybe you should take something for that, it may be infectious...

16th in a series?? In 25 years, I've only seen the one we use now.

Check your memory tongue.png

2015 - 25 = 1990.

On my first visits in the mid 90s I started with series 14 (issued in 1994):

https://www.bot.or.th/English/Banknotes/HistoryAndSeriesOfBanknotes/Pages/Banknote_Series14.aspx

AL14_1000f.gif

And sure there will be members who remember series 13 from the 80s:

https://www.bot.or.th/English/Banknotes/HistoryAndSeriesOfBanknotes/Pages/Banknote_Series13.aspx

They didn't even have a 1000 Baht note at this time.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I was actually wandering when they will make 5000 thb bank note

...no time soon, it would make bulk transfers out of the country too easy.

Please give us a reason why someone would want to take large sums of baht notes out of Thailand. Given the very poor exchange rate for baht outside of Thailand, this would be a very stupid thing to do.