Long trip on the Click.

Badrabbit

Went for a drive on the new 2015 Honda Click, 1600km round trip, petrol cost approx 800฿ fantastic bike but the standard seat is awful, I ended up with very bad saddle sore which came on in the last 200kms there and the same on the way back, sorted it now by having the seat re-shaped with stiffer foam, speed was between 70 and 80kph on the highway from Surat Thani to Cha am, apart from the seat problem the bike was great to drive and much easier to stay out of people's way being a small bike, the best place to be considering the awful road surface from Surat Thani is on the hard shoulder, road surface was pretty much perfect all the way to Cha am, the road surface on the two lanes was nothing short of farm track like! the trip there took me 11 hrs with half a dozen stops for fuel and a bite to eat etc, now thinking of getting the PCX as this is better suited for the long drive with more carrying space, bigger tires and although it won't make much difference 25cc more power!

Done this trip many times on big bikes, enjoyed this the most!

Might be off again next month.

Edited by Badrabbit

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1600km over how many days, 11 hours in one day even with stops sounds like a lot? No wonder it Major Bumsore.

I do understand the enjoyment on a small bike, we did 2000+ km 2 up on a Wave clone in Vietnam earlier this year, had a smile on my face almost the whole trip. I ride a biggish bike, but enjoyed that VN trip more than anything I have done in Thailand. We took 2 weeks and the best we could do in one day was just over 300km, on good roads too. No hurry and my backside was fine.

The only downside was in the mountains, it was so slow in the hills we had to avoid the longer mountain roads, fearful that we would run out of gas, or daylight.

Having ridden a PCX150 for a few hours, I think you will be disappointed, a very boring ride...IMO

Nice one.

I think some of the fun comes from riding/driving something small and challenging. I remember driving around Europe in a Triumph Spitfire, top down, luggage piled on the boot lid.

Edited by AllanB

I've done the trip many times 700km one way and in a day, never had bum sore on any bike other than this Click, the standard seat is extremely soft, sorted it by modifying it, the road from Surat Thani to Cha am is awful many cars and trucks moving from one lane to the other to avoid the holes and atrocious road surface, the reason I like the PCX is its carrying space under the seat, bigger tires etc not sure what you mean by a boring ride it is a 150cc scooter after all! it

Only 700kms was done going, about 200kms whilst there and a week later another 700kms return trip, I agree 300kms in one day is much more sensible!

Edited by Badrabbit

I have done a lot of long rides. I feel 800 km on a Click in a day is asking for backside suffering.

My personal opinion is decrease the daily mileage or increase the size of the bike.

And you did this 2 days on the run!. Hats off to you. You are ready to suffer. I respect that.

I have done a lot of long rides. I feel 800 km on a Click in a day is asking for backside suffering.

My personal opinion is decrease the daily mileage or increase the size of the bike.

And you did this 2 days on the run!. Hats off to you. You are ready to suffer. I respect that.

700km going then a week later 700km return journey! as I said the only reason I suffered with saddle sore was because the standard seat was very soft!! I don't expect the same to happen should I decide to go on the click again!

The other 200km was riding around the area!

Edited by Badrabbit

This is why I love the seat on my Yamaha MX. I did a trip of 1700 kilometers through Cambodia with no problem on the butt. Like being in a lounge chair. The wider seat really makes a difference

I've done the trip many times 700km one way and in a day, never had bum sore on any bike other than this Click, the standard seat is extremely soft, sorted it by modifying it, the road from Surat Thani to Cha am is awful many cars and trucks moving from one lane to the other to avoid the holes and atrocious road surface, the reason I like the PCX is its carrying space under the seat, bigger tires etc not sure what you mean by a boring ride it is a 150cc scooter after all! it

Only 700kms was done going, about 200kms whilst there and a week later another 700kms return trip, I agree 300kms in one day is much more sensible!

These are runabout bikes, lightweight, with a nominal level of comfort designed for short trips. The Wave we used in VN was a similar machine and to be honest had we attempted even 500km in one day I would have spent the next 5 days in bed. Pacing myself was quite important for as number of reasons, I din't want to have any accidents by either going too fast or travelling when tired, I wanted to enjoy the trip and there were plenty of hotels en-route, along with places to visit.

PCX boring? just my opinion, the most boring thing I have ever ridden, luckily it belonged to someone else, we swapped bikes during during a run. He sold the bike shortly after due to it being boring. 100% reliable though, it never missed a beat and was very economical, 100mpig riding at 80kph.

We are all different and have different reasons for trips like these, but it doesn't matter as long as you get out and about and enjoy yourself. I would use our Wave again here in LOS, may even hire one in Laos later this year.

These are runabout bikes, lightweight, with a nominal level of comfort designed for short trips. The Wave we used in VN was a similar machine and to be honest had we attempted even 500km in one day I would have spent the next 5 days in bed. Pacing myself was quite important for as number of reasons, I din't want to have any accidents by either going too fast or travelling when tired, I wanted to enjoy the trip and there were plenty of hotels en-route, along with places to visit.

PCX boring? just my opinion, the most boring thing I have ever ridden, luckily it belonged to someone else, we swapped bikes during during a run. He sold the bike shortly after due to it being boring. 100% reliable though, it never missed a beat and was very economical, 100mpig riding at 80kph.

We are all different and have different reasons for trips like these, but it doesn't matter as long as you get out and about and enjoy yourself. I would use our Wave again here in LOS, may even hire one in Laos later this year.

Yes agree that Clicks and the like are not designed for long trips, I wanted to give it a try, the bike was fine but the seat was not, now that I have had the seat modified I will try another trip maybe this time I will stop halfway for the night and continue the next day, I have to say that the standard click seat is the softest seat I have ever come across, I have tried all the other different bikes in Honda and they all have firm seats so I don't understand why Honda made this seat so soft, anyway I have to get away from Phuket often and on whatever I have at the time!

IMO it is very dangerous to drive a scooter on the highway. Wouldn't dare to ride 70-80 kph and have everybody overtake me left and right. I am even more afraid that they would hit me from the back. Also very difficult to get out of a dangerous situation if you have no spare power available.

Edited by Nickymaster

IMO it is very dangerous to drive a scooter on the highway. Wouldn't dare to ride 70-80 kph and have everybody overtake me left and right. I am even more afraid that they would hit me from the back. Also very difficult to get out of a dangerous situation if you have no spare power available.

It's not dangerous at all considering the main two lanes are full of holes and ruts along with a very poor road surface, the safest place to drive is on the hard shoulder where the road surface is hole and rut free, I virtually drove the whole 700kms on the hard shoulder and did not encounter one problem, it's very dangerous to drive on the main lanes where lorries and cars are swerving to avoid the holes and ruts, I have driven this same route many many times in cars and bigger bikes and it's not fun having to swerve all over the road in an attempt to avoid the holes!

I did hit one hole in the dark, nearly lost control of the bike but luckily all was okay, the roads in this country are disgraceful and are only fit for farm vehicles!

Edited by Badrabbit

hard shoulder is the last place where i wanna ride my bike. full of debris. Sooner or later you will hit a nail or something and get nasty puncture or slide to the ditch when there's some gravel or or. stay away unless your are going walking phase

hard shoulder is the last place where i wanna ride my bike. full of debris. Sooner or later you will hit a nail or something and get nasty puncture or slide to the ditch when there's some gravel or or. stay away unless your are going walking phase

No problem on the hard shoulder at all, the main two lanes are rutted and with many holes I will continue to ride on the better road surface, puncture, no problem I can repair myself in minutes, as for gravel if you are not concentrating then it is possible to hit some but I am always aware of the road in front and can avoid with no problems! 700kms there and 700 kms back with no trouble!!

The main highway from Surat Thani to Cha am is no place for small bikes due to the poor road surface, huge ruts and holes, the safer place for a small bike is the hard shoulder where the road surface is good with no ruts or holes!

Big bikes, cars, lorries etc can cope with the holes and ruts it's not nice but they cope, small bikes such as a scooter will not cope with many of the holes and would probably cause the rider to fall, drive where it is safe, for a small scooter the hard shoulder is the place to be on this stretch of road!

From Phuket to the main highway at Surat Thani I drive normally because the road condition is good!

Edited by Badrabbit

• 2 weeks later...

I did Pattaya to Udon Thani and back last year on an Airblade and it was a great ride.

I did go to an upholstery shop and got them to redo the seat cushioning to my taste, you might try the same. Only cost me about 600 baht for the custom seat re-upholstering.

Try baby powder on the old bum it is the combination of sweat and pressure that causes the bum problem

Cheers, I have had the seat modified so that it is now firm, feels much better but I'm going to wear my cycle shorts which are padded to hopefully avoid saddle sore again, I'm off to Cha am this Sunday so hoping for a trouble free journey!

If you are tight fisted, tight arsed, Scrooge impersonating, cheap Charlie, who wants to use a budget priced puddle jumping bike that does 200mpg.. fine.

......fortunately I am...have a good and safe ride, hope the arse works out for you.

Will get the drum braked Wave out when I get back.

..oh and on the subject of riding on the hard shoulder. If you ride a big bike and do 120kph on your trips the hard shoulder may not seem to be a good place to be..and isn't. But on a small bike the picture is different, at the slower speeds you can see potholes, brake and avoid them, likewise with other obstacles.

Edited by AllanB

If you are tight fisted, tight arsed, Scrooge impersonating, cheap Charlie, who wants to use a budget priced puddle jumping bike that does 200mpg.. fine.

......fortunately I am...have a good and safe ride, hope the arse works out for you.

Interesting post, each to there own!

..oh and on the subject of riding on the hard shoulder. If you ride a big bike and do 120kph on your trips the hard shoulder may not seem to be a good place to be..and isn't. But on a small bike the picture is different, at the slower speeds you can see potholes, brake and avoid them, likewise with other obstacles.

During the day true, which is part of why my big rule for motorcycle trips is to always find a place to stop for the night before it gets dark.

Plus IMO the best riding is on smaller roads, I stay off the big highways as much as possible. With good GPS and maps (I use OsmAnd on my phone) you can find ways to get pretty much everywhere without taking the bigger highways.

During the day true, which is part of why my big rule for motorcycle trips is to always find a place to stop for the night before it gets dark.

Plus IMO the best riding is on smaller roads, I stay off the big highways as much as possible. With good GPS and maps (I use OsmAnd on my phone) you can find ways to get pretty much everywhere without taking the bigger highways.

Totally agree with your post, the main highway from Surat Thani to Cha am is no place for a small bike as it is littered with holes and ruts, small bikes can't cope with this, the hard shoulder has a perfect road surface with no holes or ruts, big bikes can cope with holes and poor road surface, I prefer riding the Click it's much safer than a big bike here especially if you are the sort of rider that likes to go fast, I prefer the slower speeds, I am in no hurry to get anywhere!!

I agree, riding in the after dusk is not a great idea, but getting up the crack of Dawn is a good way to start your day, get her properly warmed up. Then after an hours riding, stop for a good hearty breakfast, get your energy back.

Left this morning at 4am, it should have been okay as I know the roads in Phuket, unfortunately a new big hole was waiting for me, only going about 40kph hit the hole and lost control, ended up in a pile on the road, a few grazes, bike just minor damage, 4 young Thai lads helped me get the bike to the side of the road, all asked if I was okay, thanks to them, as I was sorting myself out another bike hit the same hole and nearly ended up as I did fortunately he stayed upright, obviously trip cancelled, fed up with the roads in this country, it's disgraceful, small bikes with small tires can't cope with the holes here, anyway feeling stiff but glad to be able to type this post!

Edited by Badrabbit

Left this morning at 4am, it should have been okay as I know the roads in Phuket, unfortunately a new big hole was waiting for me, only going about 40kph hit the hole and lost control, ended up in a pile on the road, a few grazes, bike just minor damage, 4 young Thai lads helped me get the bike to the side of the road, all asked if I was okay, thanks to them, as I was sorting myself out another bike hit the same hole and nearly ended up as I did fortunately he stayed upright, obviously trip cancelled, fed up with the roads in this country, it's disgraceful, small bikes with small tires can't cope with the holes here, anyway feeling stiff but glad to be able to type this post!

Good your are ok...after some rain the night before pot holes are always bad... Bent a rim myself hitting one this morning.

Sent from my c64

Good your are ok...after some rain the night before pot holes are always bad... Bent a rim myself hitting one this morning... Ride over before it begain.

Sent from my c64

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

Good your are ok...after some rain the night before pot holes are always bad... Bent a rim myself hitting one this morning... Ride over before it begain.

Sent from my c64

Sent from my c64

Cheers mate, a few grazes nothing bad, steering a bit out on the bike plus a couple of minor other things, I blame myself for leaving in the dark, anyway shan't make that mistake again!

Glad you are OK man, I have to say even though loved my trip from pattaya to nong kai on the airblade last year, I'm excited about upgrading to a bigger bike for traveling. I have the Phantom I am probably buyinh from my friend right now on a multi day test drive. It.s a nice bike for Thai back roads, the wheels deal with potholes pretty well but some of them no one could get over.

post-126088-0-09737900-1441530843_thumb.

That's a real shame mate, very glad you are okay. Thai roads are a sod, had quite a few near misses and always been a worry when riding a scooter, my wife had her only accident in 30 years (not serious) on a hire scooter on Koh Sumet. Remember when Top Gear did Vietnam, the only faller was Clarkson on his small wheeled scooter, inexperience? bad luck? maybe, but they did warn him about small wheels.

This is why I go for a Honda Wave (with drum brakes) and even fit fatter tyres, it can be the difference between an off and staying on. A manual g/box helps on hills with engine braking, drum brakes don't lock up in the wet and being astride the bike helps with balance in such a situation. At just 34,000 baht many think I am a cheap Charlie, but these were all considerations.

Was your off in the dark? I always get up the crack of Dawn, so by the time my wife is ready, it is daylight.

Not wishing to lecture you mate, just a bit of food for thought, either way get back on and do your trip, stay safe.

All the best

..and Furryman, whatever I have ever said about the Phantom, those big fat wheels/tyres saved me once. Hit a big dollop of set concrete and stayed on..just.

Edited by AllanB